Calling anyone in a classic Rock/blues cover band!

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
Hello!

Is there anyone in a classic Rock&blues covers band that would cover somewhere on the south coast? (Southampton). Here's the kicker and the cheeky bit, if you were able to do a night time gig it would need to be done for free! I know, I know that's a lot to ask but I am in the throws of trying to organise my first custom and classic bike meet/show/fundraiser. All money raised will be going to a children's cancer charity. The day time event will be held at a separate site/pub then the after party will have camping for the night and an events room/hall for a bit of a boogie. Obviously dates aren't set yet because of the ongoing situation. There is a hell of a lot to think about and try and organise but if you think you might be able to help it would be much appreciated. (Mustn't be afraid of hairy bikers!).

Many thanks for reading.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16084
    I can do a Village People Tribute Act although we're a Cowboy short at the moment
    How will that go down?
    incidentally , can you still see the H.A. clubhouse mural from the train ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24207
    I suspect giving an idea of the date might help.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31527
    I suspect there may be a very small window of eight weeks or so when indoor gigs are legal this summer, and as someone who runs a band which hasn't gigged for 13 months I can tell you we're not committing to ANY freebies at all this year. 

Somebody may want to do it, but don't be surprised if they cancel on you nearer the date if they get a better offer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24207
    p90fool said:
    I suspect there may be a very small window of eight weeks or so when indoor gigs are legal this summer, and as someone who runs a band which hasn't gigged for 13 months I can tell you we're not committing to ANY freebies at all this year. 

Somebody may want to do it, but don't be surprised if they cancel on you nearer the date if they get a better offer.
    I suspect there will be an equal number of nearly bankrupt venues only booking free acts.

I've done endless charity gigs in both music and magic and I decided long ago that I will do them at full price or free. Never a discount. If the individual charity is important enough to me to make me want to do it free, then I will. Other than that it's full price - there are always plenty of other people at charity gigs still getting paid. It's only the entertainment who is expected to be free. The 'Full or Free' gives me a really easy decision process to follow. It also avoids the cheapening of the product with a discount.

As it happens I have supported cancer charities in the past as they are important to me. Alas I don't have a blues cover band.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31527
    We're the same @fretmeister it's either all or nothing. 

Also, whenever I've had to organise a charity gig I've always raised more money by paying for a decent band than by getting a crap one for nothing, but obviously that depends on whether there's a starting budget. 

I'm sure someone will help the OP out though!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Back in the Bo Dudleys we did a charity thing for a biker group. We were supposed to support a Bon Jovi tribute but they pulled out last minute in favour of a paid gig and we headlined. It was for charity so if anyone complained it wasn’t to us. 
    Legend had it that members of the biker group started attending the Bon Jovi tribute act’s gigs and being a bit disruptive, they couldn’t book any more gigs and the band folded. 
    Not sure what the moral of that is really but have a bump in case anyone can help. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    I would probably do it if I were local. Its basically a free rehearsal and you must be able to get someone whose willing.

Also a tip. I've been fed or provided food for free gigs. Might help get someone.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Wait, you get paid for gigs? 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5359
    edited April 2021
    It might be worth messaging these guys: https://www.facebook.com/thepfjband/

Bunch of lunatics, a million years ago they used to do stuff for Wycombe MAG and some other bike stuff - I used to know their lead guitarist (he was the accountant at one of our clients) and introduced him to a MAG guy who was looking for a band.

If they like the cause they're the kind of people who would do it for free just for a laugh.

EDIT: not the current lead guitarist, based on the vids. I can only assume that Eddie van Porker left some time ago.

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Thank you everyone.

slacker said:
    I would probably do it if I were local. Its basically a free rehearsal and you must be able to get someone whose willing.

Also a tip. I've been fed or provided food for free gigs. Might help get someone.
    I'll take that on board thanks. I'm going to try and sort a big old spit roast pig for the day and meat from the local farm butchers for decent bbq food and of course veggie option for the grass munchers. And I'm sure a bit of booze can be provided as long as they can still play!

Snags said:
    It might be worth messaging these guys: https://www.facebook.com/thepfjband/

Bunch of lunatics, a million years ago they used to do stuff for Wycombe MAG and some other bike stuff - I used to know their lead guitarist (he was the accountant at one of our clients) and introduced him to a MAG guy who was looking for a band.

If they like the cause they're the kind of people who would do it for free just for a laugh.

EDIT: not the current lead guitarist, based on the vids. I can only assume that Eddie van Porker left some time ago.

I'll give them a look thank you.

Dominic said:
    I can do a Village People Tribute Act although we're a Cowboy short at the moment
    How will that go down?
    incidentally , can you still see the H.A. clubhouse mural from the train ?
    Go on then, you can be the opening act at the "camp" site.

And yes you can.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10183
    PM sent!
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited April 2021
    Two bikers in our band would be interested.  One's a bit uptight though ex navy (Drummer).  We're based about 11 miles away from Southampton.  Two guitars, bass and drums, we can bring a sax player in as well for some of the blues stuff, but then we just pay the same song for twenty minutes.  If you're a biker you might know the Cuckoo pub out at Hamptworth?  That was our local, so you might know some of us.  When is it?  We'd do it for beer.  We're basically '70's rock and blues.  My wife's first born died of cancer, so Naomi House is still a big thing too and the other three, they're just into bikes.  We don't really drink that much at gigs either because we all have to sing, especially me and the other guitar player.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y92aEC7NrQjG9oMa8

I'm into Transit Tippers myself
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    Sambostar said:
    Two bikers in our band would be interested.  One's a bit uptight though ex navy (Drummer).  We're based about 11 miles away from Southampton.  Two guitars, bass and drums, we can bring a sax player in as well for some of the blues stuff, but then we just pay the same song for twenty minutes.  If you're a biker you might know the Cuckoo pub out at Hamptworth?  That was our local, so you might know some of us.  When is it?  We'd do it for beer.  We're basically '70's rock and blues.  My wife's first born died of cancer, so Naomi House is still a big thing too and the other three, they're just into bikes.  We don't really drink that much at gigs either because we all have to sing, especially me and the other guitar player.
    Thank you, I'm in the process of trying to sort things out with regards to a date as I have to coordinate between two sites/pubs (hopefully). Thats a couple of offers now and I am more than very grateful. I'll let you all know when I can get a date set in stone. Got lots of calls and begging to do to get decent raffle prizes and the like!

With regards to the Cuckoo, I spent so many years of my life drunk I can't remember! But we used to get out all round the forest so I'm sure there would have been a point in time we visited.

Again, thank you so much to those who have been able to step forward and to those with words of advice.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited April 2021
    Sambostar's band seem like a nice group of boys to me, I'd go for it.

Going by past history, it might be worth you organising their transport if you want them to actually get there on time, though.

Well, it seems this do is turning into a bit of a monster! Pub sorted, and now its turned into a custom/classic bike and American hotrod show! Met some old friends of my late brother's one of whom is a top fuel drag racer and his friend is/was the administrator for the south coast hotrod something or the other and has offered her services for free to help with the organising/paperwork and advertising and getting the hotrod scene involved. Then the chap down the road from the pub comes into the equation with a huge camping field with enough space for about 200 people, then his friend states he runs a large marquee hiring company and portaloos, I'm being offered a spit roaster (not a spit roasting I might add!) The young farmers association has come into the equation with offers of pig for the spit roast and help with marshalling. Loads of stuff, looks like this is going to be one hell of a shindig! Lots to bloomin do now.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom