SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD ELSEWHERE - FS/FT Traynor Bassmate YBA 2B

ReflexReflex Frets: 60
edited April 2021 in Amps £
NOW SOLD

I’m going to start this listing with a sad face

Mu Suhr T pairs with my Rift Tweed combo perfectly, no two ways about it.  My Traynor sits just outside of this match providing beautiful deep blackface tones that don’t suit my Suhr T quite so well, but offers a wonderful alternative tone to the tweed.

HOWEVER!!!!  I have just moved house, the Suhr/Rift occupy my jam room and I need a ‘family friendly’ amp to jam along with the HiFi in the living room that doesn’t shout ‘big 80’s brute’ and visually offend anyone who doesn’t play guitar.

its one of the only amps I’ve owned twice.  I sold the first one to buy a 70’s bassman head and then realised that it sounds just as good for half the price.  So I swapped it back for another Traynor, but this one has an old Fane speaker and some ‘mother’ Hammond transformers in it.  Smooth, rich, articulate, warm etc etc etc.  Only bettered by my old Carr Mini Mercury and on par with a bassman (the tweeds occupy a different sound).  A few rough marks on the tolex, but other than that, pretty good condition for a 40 yr old amp... But it’s my second/B amp and it doesn’t go int the living room... sigh.

So please, someone offer me a trade for a small amp that gets me a tonal character I can love and make up for my Traynor going...  

I guess the Fane and Hammond's make it a higher value than usual so up at (£350) - PRICE DROP TO £325, will also post at cost
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5751
    I have always wanted to try one of these beauties. Sadly nothing to trade and I’ve also been thinking that living room could be a touch more elegant without two 2x12s and a 1x12 in there. Maybe a nice throw and a cool lamp might be your solution? ;)

oh... and your pic link isn’t working. Although your ad is still plenty tempting 
  • ReflexReflex Frets: 60
    edited April 2021
    dazzajl said:
    I have always wanted to try one of these beauties. Sadly nothing to trade and I’ve also been thinking that living room could be a touch more elegant without two 2x12s and a 1x12 in there. Maybe a nice throw and a cool lamp might be your solution? ;)

oh... and your pic link isn’t working. Although your ad is still plenty tempting 
    Thank you Dazzajl 

link updated, hopefully it works now.

Tempted by your suggestion, however the Mrs is going for a modern look and the ‘throw/lampshade’ look is unlikely to cut it.  It’s also a fairly big brute...  I think a small combo is the way forward, although I’m at a loss as to what I can get to replace it...

I also noticed in my lamentous ramblings that I forgot to put in the specifics, please find to follow:

Point to point hand wired (turret board)
    15-20 watt
    15” Fane speaker
    recently serviced by the local amp engineer
  • Nope, link still not working for me.

try reading this - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/54241/posting-pics-vids-soundclips-how-to#latest

We want to see pics!  :)
    Nope, link still not working for me.

try reading this - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/54241/posting-pics-vids-soundclips-how-to#latest

We want to see pics!  :)
    Odd, it definitely works for me. Although I kinda wish it didn’t. Sooooooooooooo much goodness for the money <3
    edited April 2021
    Flanging_Fred said:
    Nope, link still not working for me.

We want to see pics! 
    Hmmm, it’s working for me now, can you try again?

Although for the life of me I don’t know why you want to see it, it’s just a big, oblong, tolex lump and probably the reason why they’re cheaper than they should be
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
  • Ah, ok. I cleaned out my cache and it’s working for me now.

Lovely amps these. As you were...
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    What output valves does this run please? A quick Google brought up both 6V6 and EL84 (6BQ5) versions.
    Keefy said:
    What output valves does this run please? A quick Google brought up both 6V6 and EL84 (6BQ5) versions.
    You know I’ll always bow to your greater knowledge but I think* the 2Bs are all EL84, the 2s are 6v6 and 2As could be either depending on date. 

*mixture of half arsed internet research and random thoughts plucked at whim. 
    Keefy said:
    Just checked, EL84’s they are!
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    dazzajl said:
    Keefy said:
    You know I’ll always bow to your greater knowledge but I think* the 2Bs are all EL84, the 2s are 6v6 and 2As could be either depending on date. 

*mixture of half arsed internet research and random thoughts plucked at whim. 
    I think my internet research was quarter-arsed at most!

Reflex said:
    Keefy said:
    Just checked, EL84’s they are!
    Cheers!
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1436
    Reflex said:

I guess the Fane and Hammond's make it a higher value than usual so up at £350...

I thought Hammond transformers were stock on Traynors?  All my YGM3's had them.
    edited April 2021
    Dodge said:
    Reflex said:

I guess the Fane and Hammond's make it a higher value than usual so up at £350...

I thought Hammond transformers were stock on Traynors?  All my YGM3's had them.
    I’ll bow to your knowledge, however these are not stock and it certainly has a larger input (?) transformer than my first YBA 2B.  The amp engineer also commented that they were replacement/upgraded 
    Pics of the transformers and internals added :)
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1436
    Reflex said:

I'd guess those are oroginal (which is a positive).  The big transformer is the mains transformer, the smaller one is the output transformer.  Both look original to me.

Here are a two different examples: 

Dodge said:
    Reflex said:

I'd guess those are oroginal (which is a positive).  The big transformer is the mains transformer, the smaller one is the output transformer.  Both look original to me.

Here are a two different examples: 

The engineer who worked on my amp wasn’t familiar with Traynor, so thanks for taking a look at the pic.  I believe he said the output was 15 watts...  By the way, is your second pic a YBA 2 (not the 2B)?

I’m also toying with putting a 12” speaker in it, reducing the size of the cab and keeping it it as a practice amp.  I find it very useable at low volumes
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 556
    Traynor Amps are brilliant ! ! !
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

Any boutique trades out there?

Im considering making the cab smaller and popping a 12” speaker into it to make it more living room friendly... but I can’t work out if its a great idea or just spoiling a very good amp? 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    I'd love this but possibly not enough to drive all the way to Hampshire from Hull... let me know if you're heading up Yorkshire way any time soon though.