Anyone know a really good maker of output transformers in the UK?

What's Hot
I'm looking to have an output transformer made for a quad of 6V6S because i can´t seem to find it in the normal market. It's for a custom made guitar amplifier. I am aware that a regular OT for a pair of 6L6 tubes would do the job but i have concerns about exceeding the rated power. I have around 440Volts on the plates (at idle) and an acceptable (in my opinion) primary impedance would be somewhere between 4.2Kohm and 5Kohms. The OT that was installed failed after around 6 years of operation and it was also custom built. I don't know if repairing the existing OT would be cost effective. It came from the same people who make there Matamp ones.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

You can use an off-the-shelf Fender output transformer for 2 6L6s.

Hammond make good quality units and have variations with different taps; you could use a Bandmaster OT eg 1760J.

If you want to use a beefier transformer the Hammond 1760L Bassman transformer will do the job and has 4,8 & 16 ohm taps.

To be honest it is very rare that a transformer will fail due to it being underpowered; OTs habitually fail due to the insulation breaking down, often due to flyback voltages when the amp is driven hard into clipping.

re UK manufacturers, I've had good results with Majestic Transformers, and Trans-Tronic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 145
    I think Danbury make the transformers for ampmaker kits and there’s transformer equipment who used to make the cornford transformers
  • DanchiDanchi Frets: 25
    Thanks guys!