Princeton build idea. Speakers?

What's Hot
DannyPDannyP Frets: 1667
Hi there,

I have a dead, solid state Fender 1x12 combo on my hands which I'd like to convert to a BF Princeton Reverb.

The baffle is already cut for 1x12 obvs, but there's enough room to take it out and put 2x10" in there.

So what do we think? A 1x12 Princeton Reverb? Or a 2x10" Princeton Reverb?

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hoopshoops Frets: 223
    I think 2 x 10" would be good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    2 x 10" would be pretty cool, only thing is there are more options when looking at 12" speakers
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    if it's already cut for a 12'' - just build a 12'' Princeton.
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1667
    2 x 10" would be pretty cool, only thing is there are more options when looking at 12" speakers
    Hi Michael, I'm the same Danny that emailed you about the Princeton bits btw 
    The audience is split so far then.

As far as the existing baffle goes, even if I get a 12" speaker I'll probably remove the particle board baffle and make a ply one anyway.

I get the point about more 12" options. But if you factor in combinations of different pairings of  10" speakers, that's loads of options too!

Speaking of which, any recommendations for speakers or speaker combos?

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    I put a 10in Eminence Legend 1058 in my Princeton and it sounds excellent, but I think they are 8ohm only - I don't know whether your OT has taps for 4ohm or 16ohm outputs.
  • strat84strat84 Frets: 314
    Make a 2x10 so you can switch between that and 1x12. 2 eminence legend alnicos would be nice 
    Would there be value in pairing one scoopy, sparkly 10" with one that has more of a punch in the guts?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    If you’re intending to replace the baffle, 2x10” - there’s no point in changing it if you want 1x12”, since the rest of the cabinet is also particle-board.

Personally I would fit matching or moderately different speakers, rather than radically different ones - there’s more chance of it sounding good without a lot of experimentation. I would usually stick to the same manufacturer, my experience is that they tend to work better together.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

I like 10’s with Princetons and like the 2x10 config so would go with that.  Personally though If I was going to all the effort I’d put the lot in a nice pine cabinet.
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    if you have to change the board, change it to 10'' so it's 'correct'
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    Princeton's lose their mid-range sweetness when you go for multiple 10s, I've tried many different combinations.

Best choices whilst retaining the classic Princeton feel are:

• 1x12"
    • 2x8"
    • 1x10"

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• PCGPCG Frets: 14
    DannyP said:
    The audience is split so far then.

As far as the existing baffle goes, even if I get a 12" speaker I'll probably remove the particle board baffle and make a ply one anyway.

I get the point about more 12" options. But if you factor in combinations of different pairings of  10" speakers, that's loads of options too!

Speaking of which, any recommendations for speakers or speaker combos?

In terms of speaker recommendations, I really like the Eminence ga-sc64 (12”) in my Princeton (headstrong).  I replaced the original eminence legend with it and have tried a few others, but the the sc64 is perfect.  I think headstrong now use them as standard 
    RiftAmps said:
    Princeton's lose their mid-range sweetness when you go for multiple 10s, I've tried many different combinations.

• 1x12"
    • 2x8"
    • 1x10"

That's interesting......
    Thanks for this input.
    DannyP said:
    RiftAmps said:

• 1x12"
    • 2x8"
    • 1x10"

That's interesting......
    Thanks for this input.
    Actually, is there any scientific reason I might be able to understand as to why 2 x 10" speakers might affect the mid range frequencies?
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    DannyP said:
    DannyP said:
    RiftAmps said:

• 1x12"
    • 2x8"
    • 1x10"

That's interesting......
    Thanks for this input.
    Actually, is there any scientific reason I might be able to understand as to why 2 x 10" speakers might affect the mid range frequencies?

Multiple 10s firm up the lower-mids and give them more 'push' too, it's just enough to lose that lovely sweetness that Princetons are desirable for.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• jimkehoejimkehoe Frets: 208
    For what it’s worth I have just fitted a Jenson P10R-F to my Princeton and if you’re after traditional old school Princeton sound I can highly recommend. They do however break up a bit earlier so if you’re after clean loud headroom maybe not quite so good.