RIP HRH Prince Philip

What's Hot
sad.. wonder if this will trigger the Queen to step down
My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Perhaps the whole lot of 'em will step down?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    edited April 2021
    Pip has popped. It's not a great surprise given his recent health.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294

Am on a Teams meeting and just had it interrupted to tell us this.

I'm certainly not a royalist but obviously sad for his family.

sad.. wonder if this will trigger the Queen to step down

With the pandemic going on feels like it would be an odd time but I don't know when would be a not odd time. Maybe she doesn't want to be on the throne as Boris breaks up the Union.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22111
    The other adult in the house got the email through from her team with the newspaper. Suffice to say her working weekend is now going to be very different. 

• That's the story line for Season 6 finale of The Crown sorted then.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    Meghan Markle has just asked what shade of grey he was, when he died.  
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6793
    Greece will be in mourning.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3541
    We have a slightly odd perspective on death. The guy had 99 years of living as a royal, with all the luxury and privilege that entails. I'm sure he had a grand old time. Living on at 99 years old is no walk in the park..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    My late Father-in Law served under him as Chief Petty Officer on a Destroyer in the late 50s when younger Phil was Captain.
    Apparently he made a mistake and ran the ship aground on a sandbar......the Admiral with the fleet at the time was Bonham- Carter who apparently gave him a hell of a dressing down .
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:
    My late Father-in Law served under him as Chief Petty Officer on a Destroyer in the late 50s when younger Phil was Captain.
    Apparently he made a mistake and ran the ship aground on a sandbar......the Admiral with the fleet at the time was Bonham- Carter who apparently gave him a hell of a dressing down .
    I didn't realise the extent of her talents!

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18728
    I have absolutely zero interest in the royal family & would happily see them all gone, but he gave a great deal of public service & did some very good works such as the DoE awards.
    So, to a fellow human being that is leaving a grieving family, RIP.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    edited April 2021
    He lived a long life.
    I have absolutely zero interest in the royal family & would happily see them all gone, but he gave a great deal of public service & did some very good works such as the DoE awards.
    So, to a fellow human being that is leaving a grieving family, RIP.
    That just about summarises my feelings. I have no personal grievance with the Royals as individuals, but I'd like to get rid of the whole lot of 'em.

#vivelarepublique

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    The island of Vanuatu where he was revered as a god will have to rethink their beliefs.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292
    As the Queen's consort he's been very officially number two for seventy years. There have been rumours of his behaviour for years and we will probably never know the truth, but you have to admire the support he gave the Queen over such a long and incredible period. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22778
    Funny how whenever there's a royal family story we all feel the need to state how we feel about royalty generally before saying anything else.

Me too....  I wouldn't call myself a royalist, but I've nothing against them and I certainly don't want to get rid of them.

He was an interesting character, made a lot of gaffes but did more than his share of public service.  I think this is sad news.  Shame he didn't quite live long enough to get the telegram from the missus.  RIP.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    RIP, Philip.

They’ve been a couple for so long, I feel so sorry for The Queen, and I hope this doesn’t affect her too badly.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    The island of Vanuatu where he was revered as a god will have to rethink their beliefs.
    To be fair, today is Friday so there's still a chance he could be resurrected on Sunday, thus affirming his God-like status. Vanuatuans(?) can then just have their 'Easter' weekend the second weekend in April every year!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    Dominic said:
    I didn't realise the extent of her talents!

Her Grandfather I think