SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Fender Tweed 59 Bassman Amplifier - Sale or Trade - £1,150

What's Hot
FonusbakFonusbak Frets: 46
edited April 2021 in Amps £
I am sure there are people out there with encyclopedic knowledge of these amps so please bear with me while I tell you what I know...

I believe (from the paperwork) that this is from 2002 and therefore pre-dates the current LTD version. I bought it around 2003/4 and, as you can tell from it's immaculate condition it's barely been used. It's been stored inside it's two covers (the brown Fender one and a Hotrocks one over the top) in a bedroom at home. 

I've gigged with it once (!) back in 2008/9 which I thought was wonderful...unfortunately my good friend who was stood behind the amp still blames me for his bad knees...

I had this advertised on 'the Bay' and it got a lot of comments! There seems to be a lot of confusion (or perhaps just differing opinions?) out there in interweb world about what this is or isn't.

Wikipedia says : "In 1990, Fender began reissuing the 5F6-A Bassman. The first series of the reissue were made at the Corona, California facility, and came equipped with four Eminence-made 10" blue frame AlNiCo speakers, and a solid state rectifier unit. Later on, production was moved to Ensenada, Baja California, and the model name was altered to "59 Bassman LTD". The LTD came equipped with the original 5AR4 rectifier tube, and four Jensen P10R reissue alnico speakers, which was period correct for the original amp."

This one has the 5F6-A valve label inside and the chrome plate on the back says it was made in Corona which is consistent with it being a 2002 reissue (as per the paperwork), so...NOT the LTD version?

However, as there are no leaves left on the wood, I don't know if the cab is solid pine but the tweed is definitely lacquered. It also has Italian Jensen P10R speakers which apparently makes it an LTD?

Fender weren't much help but a chap who worked in QC at Fender at the time got in touch and thinks this is just a transitional model - dated immediately before the LTD came out. Definitely made in the USA but with 'incoming' parts for the new model.

Sadly - as you can probably tell - I just don't use it and it shouldn't end up as an ornament. These things sound sublime and should be played by a proper musician!

I've been asked about trades and it's always a possibility. Don't need any more amps but could have my head turned by a Gretsch/Zemaitis...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ZoonyboyZoonyboy Frets: 165
    These are great amps, the best, if you don't need DI reverb and channel switching. As good a sound as the vintage tweeds for pocket money, and they don't burn out or let you down. Somebody buy it. I already have mine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    That’s a bit of alright 

• FonusbakFonusbak Frets: 46
    Zoonyboy said:
    These are great amps, the best, if you don't need DI reverb and channel switching. As good a sound as the vintage tweeds for pocket money, and they don't burn out or let you down. Somebody buy it. I already have mine.
    Thanks! I think this is as 'old school' as it gets. I did have someone recently tell me that they wouldn't buy it as it didn't have all those features. They also decided they could get the same sound from their Helix (or whatever it was).  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 556
    I had the exact same model . . . awesome amp ! ! ! 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• FonusbakFonusbak Frets: 46
    A quick "Who left that lying there!??" bump...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 661
    Dynamite Amps..... I played Blues Harp through mine...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom