PSA Neural DSP - 50% off

MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
edited April 2021 in Guitar
Just had an email that Neural are doing 50% off their plugins. Not the new SLO100 unfortunately but still worth a punt. 

Just downloaded the Corey Wong version to try out against the Plini version I already have. 

https://neuraldsp.com/plugins
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    Bought 3 of them yesterday.  Silly not to at these prices.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Thanks for the heads up! Wanted to grab the Plini
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • Thanks for the heads up. I’m just starting to learn how to use GarageBand and world of plugins is reasonably new to me. I downloaded the Cali suite trial and it sounds good to me. To start with I just want to be able to get  a decent clean sound and a good hard rock sound for rhythm an solos and this seems to do that.

A few general plug-in questions...

are the built in amps in GarageBand considered to be bad/ok/good? I don’t like the sound of them much, but I haven’t spent much time tweaking them. Can they be made to sound ok? They don’t sound very real to me and I don’t know if that’s my fault or just not good software?

Are these neural plugins considered to be decent? The one I got sounds good to me so far

Would the Cali suite be a good place to start (before I go and download all the trials)? I’m pretty tempted to buy this...
    Thanks for the heads up. I’m just starting to learn how to use GarageBand and world of plugins is reasonably new to me. I downloaded the Cali suite trial and it sounds good to me. To start with I just want to be able to get  a decent clean sound and a good hard rock sound for rhythm an solos and this seems to do that.

are the built in amps in GarageBand considered to be bad/ok/good? I don’t like the sound of them much, but I haven’t spent much time tweaking them. Can they be made to sound ok? They don’t sound very real to me and I don’t know if that’s my fault or just not good software?

Are these neural plugins considered to be decent? The one I got sounds good to me so far

Would the Cali suite be a good place to start (before I go and download all the trials)? I’m pretty tempted to buy this...
    I can't comment on the garageband sims, but I would imagine they haven't got the R&D going into them like a dedicated vst would.

As for Neural DSP, for me they are very near the top of the pile. Great, natural sound and a really really good UX. In terms of sound/feel, on par with S-Gear 2, which is also excellent.

Both are miles better than guitar rig and amplitude in my opinion. These may look appealing because they try to replicate loads of specific gear, but they sound noticeably less natural. Neural and S-Gear do a limited set, but what they do they do very well.

Can't comment on Helix Native as I've never tried it.

To your question, I would say the Plini, Cory Wong or Nolly plugins would be better places to start than the Cali suite. Chiefly because they cover a gamut of tones with a few distinct amp models, and include good effects like delay and reverb.
    But I just saw that you're specifically after integration in garageband (as opposed to using the plugins standalone), in which case not having reverb and delay in the plugin isn't a big deal
  • Thanks for the advice @PonchoGreg.
  • Thanks for the heads up. I’m just starting to learn how to use GarageBand and world of plugins is reasonably new to me. I downloaded the Cali suite trial and it sounds good to me. To start with I just want to be able to get  a decent clean sound and a good hard rock sound for rhythm an solos and this seems to do that.

I can't comment on the garageband sims, but I would imagine they haven't got the R&D going into them like a dedicated vst would.

As for Neural DSP, for me they are very near the top of the pile. Great, natural sound and a really really good UX. In terms of sound/feel, on par with S-Gear 2, which is also excellent.

Both are miles better than guitar rig and amplitude in my opinion. These may look appealing because they try to replicate loads of specific gear, but they sound noticeably less natural. Neural and S-Gear do a limited set, but what they do they do very well.

To your question, I would say the Plini, Cory Wong or Nolly plugins would be better places to start than the Cali suite. Chiefly because they cover a gamut of tones with a few distinct amp models, and include good effects like delay and reverb.
    What’s the top of the pile in your opinion?
    Thanks for the heads up. I’m just starting to learn how to use GarageBand and world of plugins is reasonably new to me. I downloaded the Cali suite trial and it sounds good to me. To start with I just want to be able to get  a decent clean sound and a good hard rock sound for rhythm an solos and this seems to do that.

What’s the top of the pile in your opinion?
    I would imagine Kemper (for hardware), maybe Helix Native (for software) - never tried either but they seem to be incredible.

In my experience of VSTs, neural and S-Gear are what really stood out. But I guess it depends what sort of tones and functionality you're after, too.
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 879
    I'm tempted by Archetype: Gojira but I've managed to steer clear of iLok so far - I just don't want such software permanently running on my PC.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Cheers for the heads up.
    Just downloaded PLINI this morning. It sounds good, but I think I could achieve all of the PLINI presets with Helix Native.
  • Well I tried out a couple of different ones and took the plunge on the Archetype : Plini. I’ve heard very little of Plini’s work but the plug-in sounds great. I think (hope!) that it’s going to keep me entertained for a long old while. 

Very happy bunny  :)
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 698
    edited April 2021
    I’ve been impressed with the Nolly one. I bought it last night off the back of a couple of evenings of noodling. 

The amp models seem to cover a lot of ground. 

Plini seemed a bit limited. 

EDIT; I wish the Soldano was discounted. That sounds fantastic... but can’t justify two. 

• LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 908
    Already an owner of the fabulous Cory Wong, I’ve just sprung for Gojira. It’s mostly for my son for ‘the heavy stuff’ but it cleans up brilliantly and I love some of the gentler tones you can get from it. The phaser is too, mind, but let’s be honest phasers suck anyway!