Custom order lost its shine...

What's Hot
CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
Not here to slag off the company in question as I like them and have had good dealings with them in the past. So keeping it anonymous.

Placed an order and was told 4 weeks or maybe less for the turnaround time. It’s now nearly at 7 weeks and I’m just getting to the point of not wanting it any more.

Was really excited when I placed the order and just frustrated that now it’ve lost that.

Not helped by not getting replies to emails and when I phoned early last week, I was told it was nearly finished but then nothing.  If they’d been more upfront about the delay, I’d probably be feeling more positive or might have had more opportunity to cancel the order.

No real point to this post, like I say, just a bit disappointed.

Am I being harsh thinking that the delay is too much?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Every business is suffering delays just now due to the pandemic. I myself have had issues getting orders out to customers in a timely manner and Brexit hasn’t helped in my case (based in Northern Ireland). 

I’d say be patient, don’t get annoyed and enjoy your new amp when it comes. We all need to be kind just now, times are not easy at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1435
    CHrisP86 said:

Nearly double the quoted turnaround is poor and I'd be grumpy about that but there could be good reasons why, but the lack of comms explaining the delay is just fundamentally shit customer service.

Plenty of reasons for a delay, but no good reason for not keeping the customer informed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5748
    +1 to @Dodge ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12352
    Every business is suffering delays just now due to the pandemic. I myself have had issues getting orders out to customers in a timely manner and Brexit hasn’t helped in my case (based in Northern Ireland). 

I’d say be patient, don’t get annoyed and enjoy your new amp when it comes. We all need to be kind just now, times are not easy at all.
    How do you know it was an amp?
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1435
    munckee said:

How do you know it was an amp?

It's posted in the amps section.  ;-)
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4774
    Dodge said:
    CHrisP86 said:

Nearly double the quoted turnaround is poor and I'd be grumpy about that but there could be good reasons why, but the lack of comms explaining the delay is just fundamentally shit customer service.

Plenty of reasons for a delay, but no good reason for not keeping the customer informed.
    Failing to deliver on time, but not explaining why or returning messages, isn't what customers sign up for.

But... It's a double-edged sword, I think. If we're talking about a small business, with only one or two people working there, then every call or email that gets answered is less time to produce something. So the choice could be between stopping production to communicate better or communicating badly to focus on improving delivery times.

Not defending them, just sayin... 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 556

Id have to agree with @GoldenEraGuitars ; . . . .  Logistics are very difficult at the moment . . . We are just finishing off a Bakery we've built in Bratislava and its been a nightmare ! !
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    I can understand your frustration at the lack of communication, but I'm sure it will be worth the additional waiting time when it does arrive. It seems a perfect storm for businesses with the pandemic affecting labour supply and additional procedures (and costs), delays at customs, shipping containers in short supply, and the carrier being stuck in the Suez Canal. 
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    It’s not actually an amp but it is amp related.

It probably is the communication that has been disappointing.  In this case I don’t think logistics is a massive issue because I’m pretty sure they would have had all the parts they needed in stock. 

In one of my email chasers I was actually trying to order something extra as well.

It’s a tough balance between customer service and productive time. Very easy to get bogged down in emails and then realise you’ve not really achieved anything by the end of the day!

Not really wanting to knock the company, just venting a bit of frustration.  If I had the choice I would cancel the order, which feels a bit sad.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    CHrisP86 said:

Not really wanting to knock the company, just venting a bit of frustration.  If I had the choice I would cancel the order, which feels a bit sad.
    Cancel... if that’s how you feel... you are within your rights to do so.

but... will you be able to get what you want elsewhere and if yes what will the wait be?

maybe call their bluff and say you would like to cancel as they have failed to deliver when they said the would.... it might make them expedite your order... but be prepared you may just get your money back!...
    tFB Trader
    CHrisP86 said:
    It’s not actually an amp but it is amp related.

It probably is the communication that has been disappointing.  In this case I don’t think logistics is a massive issue because I’m pretty sure they would have had all the parts they needed in stock. 

In one of my email chasers I was actually trying to order something extra as well.

It’s a tough balance between customer service and productive time. Very easy to get bogged down in emails and then realise you’ve not really achieved anything by the end of the day!

You’ve nailed it here. The volume of emails I get in a day is monstrous (across social media and my email inbox). Due to lack of time I have to sometimes be selective and in some cases I even send my phone number to the customer to phone so that I can work and talk at the same time.

While business is business etc... we all have lived outside our work and it’s important to remember that, while we try to hold our heads up, life happens and we can’t control it. Take the positives from this - it looks like you’ll be getting your new toy shortly. And I’m sure you’ll soon remember why you placed the order in the first place.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Reminds me of a story about Liam Gallagher's order for a new custom microphone.

That was late to, and he cancelled it cos it had lost it's "shiiiiinnneeee"...

I'll get me coat. ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631
    Yes, there ARE problems at the moment but many, many companies and organizations are using the pandemic and Brexit as an excuse for bad, sometimes non existent service.

Why when you phone ANY gvmnt or health department do you have to sit through a monlogue of "Due to Covid restrictions......" We fekkin KNOW there is a virus about NOW FCS! Why waste my time telling me?

Ok, there might be some very small 'one man bands' that are feeling overstretched but mainly it is just an excuse. There are thousands out of work. Employ some of the hotel reception staff ffs! I do not see an email once a week on progress (or lack of it) is too much to ask?

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    The lack of communication is slightly annoying, but running a small business can be quite stressful and that's often one of the things that tends to get put aside, especially if there's any sense - rightly or wrongly, this isn't a criticism of you - of being 'chased'.

Be patient. In the grand scheme of things a few weeks isn't a very long time, and I'm sure it will be what you wanted when it arrives.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    ecc83 said:

Ok, there might be some very small 'one man bands' that are feeling overstretched but mainly it is just an excuse. 
    Dave... On behalf of all the overstretched “one man bands” in the guitar world I think that’s an unfair generalisation.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Not personally on board with the “feel sorry for me” stance - business is hard, but working is hard too. A consumer has the right to good service and product that reflects the price point. Regardless. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Remember, the Suez Canal was blocked for a few days.
    I'm surprised this hasn't become the general excuse for delays.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631
    ecc83 said:

Ok, there might be some very small 'one man bands' that are feeling overstretched but mainly it is just an excuse. 
    Dave... On behalf of all the overstretched “one man bands” in the guitar world I think that’s an unfair generalisation.

Well if you are stressed I apologize but I am really referring to the world at large and I mean support and information about matters rather more important than amps such as death, taxes and health.

Dave.

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    Just ask them for an updated delivery schedule and inform them if they don't keep to it then the order will be cancelled.

It is flipping hard at the moment getting any big custom jobs out, some parts have been out of stock for months with electronic suppliers and demand is high for guitar gear at the moment too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9528
    dindude said:
    Not personally on board with the “feel sorry for me” stance - business is hard, but working is hard too. A consumer has the right to good service and product that reflects the price point. Regardless. 
    Bang on Dan