What Gives a Genre it's Sound?

What's Hot
guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1824
Ok,so what specifically,notes,chords,theory,etc,gives a genre such as Country,Jazz,Blues and so on its unmistakeable sound?
Looking forward to being schooled.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Chords, rhythm, lyrical content, instrument choice, sometimes the artist irrespective of sound
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33779
    A combination of elements that are accepted as representative of a specific genre.

It is in the liminal spaces where this becomes interesting.
    For instance, 'blackened death metal'- where elements of black metal and death metal become fused to create a new genre, How many elements of one genre can you take away before it ceases to be 'blackened death metal' and just either black or death metal?

There is a great (academic) book called 'The Cultural Study Of Music' that is worth checking out.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9653
    Great question. IMHO the differences are often less than you’d first think - for instance rock’n’roll is essentially country but with a backbeat. Blues is a bit like rock’n’roll (ie lots of dominant 7ths) but with more of a triplet feel. Obviously these are sweeping generalisations but you get the idea. There are often more similarities than differences.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • vizviz Frets: 10680
    There’s a hilarious description of pop music in a book by my father - he devotes less than a page to it and it includes references to The Damned, the Sex Pistols, Cliff Richard and Tommy Steele :) I know where he got the first two references - no idea where Cliff and Tommy came from. He must have asked someone else!

My father is more on the classical side of things. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9653
    viz said:
    I get where you’re coming from - my dad reckoned decent music died with Mahler.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1824
    HAL9000 said:
    viz said:
    I get where you’re coming from - my dad reckoned decent music died with Mahler.
    He must have been Brahms and Liszt!
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6666
    All the above plus rhythm and relationship to pulse. 
  • Not sure it’s relevant now, as so many genres have merged you could be listening to classic country and be told its Americana, Hip hop and be told its Country. I’ve given up! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom