Please help me value my 91 studio , totally out of touch with prices !

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
I’ve been toying with the idea of selling my 91 studio after lockdown , but I’m so out of touch with what things cost I’ve got no idea of value.
 It’s a 91 gibson les Paul studio. Cherry red , gold hardware , ebony board. Virtually no play wear, but a few dings round the edges where it’s previous owner had it hanging on a wall. Non original Grover tuners and replacement pickup selector which is nickel , not gold.
It’s a class guitar but the non original bits and my lack of pricing knowledge make it hard for me to put a value on. 
Does anyone have any idea what kind of value would be fair for the guitar on the used market ?!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Rocky1991Rocky1991 Frets: 314
    I would say 750/900 looking at reverb, I don't think they would fetch much over a grand on average. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    £800 is on the ball.

• It'll depend on fret wear as well. 20 year old frets are going to be somewhat worn unless it hasn't been played much. 
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    edited April 2021
    It'll depend on fret wear as well. 20 year old frets are going to be somewhat worn unless it hasn't been played much. 
    It’s hardly been played ! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • loveagood69loveagood69 Frets: 123
    650 quick sale, 750-800 realistic UK based cash/collection price. If you're willing to ship abroad you can ask 1k or more on reverb and it'll probably go. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Do you have any pics of it?
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Not looking for a studio but don’t think I’d pay more than £500-600 tops for one this old in that colour scheme. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • gazrichardsgazrichards Frets: 691
    TINMAN82 said:
    Not looking for a studio but don’t think I’d pay more than £500-600 tops for one this old in that colour scheme. 
    Because you don’t want one or because you can get one cheaper elsewhere?
    TINMAN82 said:
    Because you don’t want one or because you can get one cheaper elsewhere?
    That’s what it would be worth to me. I might consider 800ish for something a bit prettier or more unusual like a Pelham blue studio in good condition. Just my personal opinion. If others would pay £900 for a 30year old studio in a (generally) less desirable colour then that’s the market value.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    Rocky1991 said:
    I could take some if it helps 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited April 2021
    £500-£700 depending on colour, finish, condition and whether or not it comes with a hard case. Black, gold fittings with a hard case in very good condition could get to the £700 mark. Anything above that is silly money in my view...but then its a silly market out there at the moment and prices are inconsistent. Those on eBay asking for more are not getting the bids.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2021
    As is often the case on here lately, some people very out of touch with current asking prices both new and used. 
    You will be very very luck to find any studio of any year or colour for £500. It would be snapped up in minutes such is the under valuation of it. £600 would be lucky too. 
    They are now £1249 new. Also age isn’t a factor on these as the old ones are “better”. Full thickness bodies, proper Les Paul inlays, ebony boards etc etc
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Rocky1991 said:
    I could take some if it helps 
    Yeah send me some, sounds like a nice looking guitar 
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    They also made a red Studio Lite in '91, be worth more if its one of those.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited April 2021
    As is often the case on here lately, some people very out of touch with current asking prices both new and used. 
    You will be very very luck to find any studio of any year or colour for £500. It would be snapped up in minutes such is the under valuation of it. £600 would be lucky too. 
    They are now £1249 new. Also age isn’t a factor on these as the old ones are “better”. Full thickness bodies, proper Les Paul inlays, ebony boards etc etc
    Possibly but isnt that the point.ie asking prices are not necessarily the actual sale price?

And as I think we're all aware, this has been a very strange and untypical last year, with lockdown and Brexit impacting on prices with much more variation than usual. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Voxman said:
    Possibly but isnt that the point.ie asking prices are not necessarily the actual sale price?

And as I think we're all aware, this has been a very strange and untypical last year, with lockdown and Brexit impacting on prices with much more variation than usual. 
    eBay sold listings. Nothing under £600 other than a couple of faded versions. The version the OP has - 90s studios, good condition. £800 or so. You’ll always get the odd outlier that goes dirt cheap for various reasons and probably one that goes for loads more than it “should”. The new price dictates the used price. 
    Atbthe end of the day it’ll sell for what it’ll sell for but £700 or less and I’d be amazed if it was still listed 3 days later. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2021
    First 5 that come up on a reverb search. Not sure my own £600 tops was too far off but that’s what an auction is for.

edit: these are filtered by final sold price.

TINMAN82 said:
    First 5 that come up on a reverb search. Not sure my own £600 tops was too far off but that’s what an auction is for.

How??? I see 3 listed at £700 (taking into account £50 postage) and two overseas based ones that don’t count unless you want to add 25% to them
    TINMAN82 said:

How??? I see 3 listed at £700 (taking into account £50 postage) and two overseas based ones that don’t count unless you want to add 25% to them
    These (in the pic) were the final sold prices. That also means the sellers take home was probably 7% less, which is the price of reaching a wider audience.

I only stated what the guitar would be worth to me, qualified by acknowledgement that my opinion might not equal the market value. Good luck to the seller.
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    edited April 2021
    I think you’ll probably get £700 for an early 90s studio in good condition these days because of the Ebony board and today’s high prices.

I’ve owned one from 94 since new. The finish has always been a bit slap dash and a lot were heavy, but mine has now got a great rock and roll natural relic look.

They seemed to go a bit downhill sometime in the late 90s. Not sure why, but the ones I tried with the rosewood board when they switched from Ebony around 94 just didn’t seem as nice.

I remember reading on somewhere like the Les Paul forum from a Gibson employee that in 91 they got caught by surprise by the demand for studios and ended up using some better wood than they originally planned for due lack of time to sort