SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Vox JMI AC10 1964 Head Rare Reverb Version

What's Hot
I have two of these and I am selling one as I am no longer going to play in stereo using the same amps :). The other one is just a plain 1963 Vox AC10 converted into a head. 

Very rare original AC10 1964 with added reverb. This could be the prototype or the version before the VOX Ac10 STR. I have not seen many of these heads in my life. Due to that it is difficult to put price to it. Let's say £1650 but if you have any other suggestions, you can let me know 

It is a healthy sounding VOX AC10 remolo working fine. The reverb does not work and it can not be repaired due to the lack of available parts Stephen Grosvenor, who by the way reviewed the amp and confirmed that it works 100%. All original transformers. Output transformer rewinded by Trans-Tronic using proper vintage parts. Chassis in good condition. Tolex and head framework needs refurbishing as the amp was stored in a barn and woodworm got into it. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72203
    edited April 2021
    Does the reverb use ‘crystal’ transducers? I seem to remember they do - they will all fail eventually as the crystals are hygroscopic and change chemical state which stops them working (and don't recover even when dried out). It’s true that these are unobtainable now, but in fact you can make replacements from piezo contact sounders - I repaired a 60s Danelectro reverb unit like that a while ago.

This is how I did it - one of these at each end. The disc was drilled and the springs wound through and then secured with some rubber solution glue. Worked perfectly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lentolento Frets: 116
    The amp of choice for the Doug & Pat show !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @ICBM I didn't know anyone could repair it... At least that is what they told me... As apparently the reverb does not sound great...

Still here for sale
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72203
    Thanks @ICBM I didn't know anyone could repair it... At least that is what they told me... As apparently the reverb does not sound great...

Still here for sale
    No, it will be quite tin-can-like if that Danelectro is anything to go by - although of course I have no idea what it sounded like originally, as it was totally dead when I got it to work on. At any rate, it worked and sounded OK in a quirky, non-Fender way.

Hopefully that's useful to you as a selling point, if it can actually be repaired.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Many thanks again @ICBM ;
  • Bump
  • Still here ! Any offers?
  • Bank Holiday Bump
  • Bump
  • Still here ! Maybe it is not the right price? We can discuss it :) 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11867
    from past experience, I suspect it's easier to sell niche expensive stuff on ebay and Reverb than on a forum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ild pay £750 ,due to the faulty reverb and transformer rewind
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @ToneControl, yeah I will try there :)

@Rarevintage64, if you pay me £750 in 1 penny coins I will sell it to you. I love copper, it is my favourite element. If not, I would be happy with £500 and a chocolate bar. Just to round it for you !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bump
  • Bump
  • Tadragh1Tadragh1 Frets: 70
    @ToneControl, yeah I will try there :)

@Rarevintage64, if you pay me £750 in 1 penny coins I will sell it to you. I love copper, it is my favourite element. If not, I would be happy with £500 and a chocolate bar. Just to round it for you !
    How about two chocolate bars and an espresso?

PS (Love the amp, BTW)
    PPS (They say the reverb on those was crappy, anyway)
  • 2 chocolate bars and a double expresso and is yours :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bump
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30858
    Can you not sell me the Les Paul instead?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• My best les Paul. Aged Pearly Gates :)