Alternatives to Rockboard XL battery power supply.

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23935
What is good in the land of rechargeable battery supplies for pedal boards?

The reviews of the new USB model of the Rockboard XL are a bit dodgy as the USB charging port seems to snap a lot.

So what else is there with plenty of juice that lasts a couple of hours?

ta.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    You can get something called a Little Moxie that allows you to run a daisy chain from a regular power bank, the sort you might buy for phones. 

My Rock board XL stopped charging. Second one in a row that went bad. I think the controllers must be garbage. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 231
    I did what someone else suggested after my Pedaltrain Volto Mini USB jack snapped off, bought a 5>9v convertor on eBay (one end Micro USB, other end 2.1mm DC jack, this will need replacing as they come wired with a moulded plug centre positive IIRC) and just use a standard USB power bank instead, about £25 all in, it might have been a @Danny1969 suggestion?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • One of these:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8692063

And one of these:

https://myvolts.co.uk/Ripcord

Works well. Powered my HX Stomp when I had it.

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    edited April 2021
    This is the powerbank to pedal power adapter I use:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-Pedals-Isolated-Rechargeable-Computer/dp/B07PLKPTNC/

Comes with nice daisy chain cable that has cover caps for each output. 

• RockerRocker Frets: 4944
    I wonder how it is that people can break a USB plug on a device that is fixed more or less permanently on a FX board. The obvious answer is to fit the cable to the battery power unit, secure the cable to another part of the pedalboard using one or more cable ties, leaving a floating end to connect the plug top PSU. The free end of the cable can be tucked away when not needed. 

I have one of those PSUs and they are great, no mains noise and no mains cable or PSU cable to get snagged. There is no need to disconnect the charger cable when the PSU is fully charged. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23935
    Rocker said:
    I wonder how it is that people can break a USB plug on a device that is fixed more or less permanently on a FX board. The obvious answer is to fit the cable to the battery power unit, secure the cable to another part of the pedalboard using one or more cable ties, leaving a floating end to connect the plug top PSU. The free end of the cable can be tucked away when not needed. 

I have one of those PSUs and they are great, no mains noise and no mains cable or PSU cable to get snagged. There is no need to disconnect the charger cable when the PSU is fully charged. 
    Because the USB socket is only held on with 2 tiny blobs of solder and not actually mounted properly.
    It's a crap design and doomed to fail. It should not require a variety of methods to avoid breaking it should be built properly in  the first place.

Only a non gigging player would say "no need to unplug..."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom