Pedal Power Problems - UPDATE 27/4

What's Hot
smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 663
edited April 2021 in FX

Recently started using a One Spot CS-12 Pro as my power supply, but there seems to be something strange happening when I’ve got my Jester connected up.

I’ve tried different power cables, reverse polarity connectors, different outputs on the CS-12, so I’m really only left with the Jester being the issue. I’ve also only got 3 pedals connected while recording that video so there’s no way the CS-12 is running near/over capacity. This doesn’t happen at all when the Jester is not connected

Anyone know what’s happening here? Likely cause/fault? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wingo84wingo84 Frets: 42
    Just make sure it’s got 12VDC @ 500mA, with a center positive 2.1mm plug.

try an standalone power supply to make sure it’s working and make sure you’re using the correct output on the CS12 (12V on the dip switch and 500ma) 

thats all the knowledge I have to spare sorry! 
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1617
    Gahhhrgh! Do NOT ever try "reverse polarity"!! One wrong connection and the kit is likely borked, maybe permanently or at least beyond economical repair.

I mean, you wouldn't "try" reversing the battery on your car FFS would you?

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 663
    ecc83 said:
    Gahhhrgh! Do NOT ever try "reverse polarity"!! One wrong connection and the kit is likely borked, maybe permanently or at least beyond economical repair.

I mean, you wouldn't "try" reversing the battery on your car FFS would you?

Dave.
    It’s a centre positive connection on the Jester, which is why I’ve got the reverse polarity connection on the cable 
    wingo84 said:

try an standalone power supply to make sure it’s working and make sure you’re using the correct output on the CS12 (12V on the dip switch and 500ma) 

The pedal was totally fine with my old Zuma, but I will try it with a standalone PSU.

I have only recently got the Constable so I wondered if it was maybe something to do with running those two at the same time. The Stomp that’s connected also has a large power draw, but still not near the max output of the CS-12
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Isn't there a potential issue running two (or more) pedals from the same power supply if one needs polarity reversed - the patch cables connect the earth without polarity reversed so you can get a short-circuit or some sort of weird behaviour?
    mart said:
    Isn't there a potential issue running two (or more) pedals from the same power supply if one needs polarity reversed - the patch cables connect the earth without polarity reversed so you can get a short-circuit or some sort of weird behaviour?
    This is along the lines of what I was hoping would be the answer (as opposed to my pedal, or the power supply being faulty).

As I say, I had no issue at all when running my full board (inc Jester) from my Zuma + Oija. When I first got the CS-12 (no Constable at this point) I had this same issue, and had to disconnect the Jester from the PSU in order to run the rest of my board, with no issues.

I had hoped it was maybe a faulty cable/connection, but I'm sure I've ruled that out now
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Sadly I don't know enough to offer any suggestions - you need someone like @ICBM who actually understands what's going on, unlike me. :)
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    wingo84 said:

The pedal was totally fine with my old Zuma, but I will try it with a standalone PSU.

I have only recently got the Constable so I wondered if it was maybe something to do with running those two at the same time. The Stomp that’s connected also has a large power draw, but still not near the max output of the CS-12

What was up with the Zuma (I'm thinking of getting one)?
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    Some power supplies have a maximum total current draw, which may be less than the sum of the individuals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72203
    prowla said:
    Some power supplies have a maximum total current draw, which may be less than the sum of the individuals.
    This, most likely.

It's not a pedal or supply polarity issue or it would not power up at all.

Valve-based pedals often have a very high start-up current when the valves are cold, much higher than they draw once running  normally - and the power supply cycling on and off is what usually happens when there's a current draw just higher than it can cope with and the current protection kicks in.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

prowla said:
    wingo84 said:

What was up with the Zuma (I'm thinking of getting one)?
    Absolutely nothing buddy, I just wanted more power options. The 3 Kingsley pedals I have require 500ma draw, and two of them run on 12v. The Zuma couldn't handle this.

It appears that the CS-12 can't either  :p
    ICBM said:
    prowla said:
    This, most likely.

It's not a pedal or supply polarity issue or it would not power up at all.

Valve-based pedals often have a very high start-up current when the valves are cold, much higher than they draw once running  normally - and the power supply cycling on and off is what usually happens when there's a current draw just higher than it can cope with and the current protection kicks in.
    Well, I thought I had all this figured out.

The CS-12 should output 3000mA in total. The 3 Kingsley's I have need 1500mA. There were only two Kingsley's and my HX Stomp connected to the PSU in the video though.

I realise that the issue could be the HX Stomp. There have been plenty previous discussions around power requirements for the Stomp. It's labelled up to require 3A on it's own, but there's ton's of info online to support that it can be powered with 1A. With my Zuma, I used to a current-doubling adaptor and had no issues at all. 

I figured that the CS-12 would be able to handle everything I needed it to

Update - so tonight was the first band practise with lockdown lifting, and off I went with the board, rigged up as above. All working fine at home. I had swapped the sockets that the Jester and Constable were connected to, in case that had anything at all to do with my problems. I left all the pedals activated for a lengthy period of time with no issues. Seemed fine.

Gets to rehearsal, and after about 5-10 minutes, my Constable lost all power. I thought the pedal had gone! I had luckily taken the supplier 12v power supply that was provided, and plugged it in and the pedal was working fine. Thank fuck!

However, I then noticed that another 3 pedals on my board were not getting any power. The Jester, wah pedal and the Flux Delay. I didn’t really have time to investigate so disconnected them all and made do with what I had available.

Since getting him I’ve plugged the board back in and checked each pedal again. Same as rehearsal - 4 pedals are not getting any power from the PSU, but the others are fine. I’ve highlighted the 4 connections that are not working.

I’m going to e-mail Truetone and ask them about it, because it does appear there’s something really not right. There’s no way my board is drawing too much power, especially when I’m not even using all the outlets.

Just wondered if anyone had any input about this latest problem?

I’ve got rehearsal tomorrow and Friday, and a gig next weekend! Not ideal timing!