Fender "QC" - Is this acceptable these days?

What's Hot
PhilMPhilM Frets: 279
Been waiting 3 months for this to arrive. Unwrapped it today to find this waiting for me:

The fretboard is scratched like that all the way up, the nut is flaking apart and there are glue marks on the body. Wouldn't accept this at any price, let alone an £800 FSR model. Have contacted the retailer and they suggest that I might have to wait for another run to be built. 
1reaction image LOL 25reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    Shocking that was sent out. Friday afternoon special. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That is some pretty poor QC.  I hope they find an acceptable replacement for you..
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Jesus!

Never seen that on a Gibson... (runs for cover)

More seriously, that's frutstrating for you, esp. when it's hard to replace like for like.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    Terrible QC, I'd send it back straight away.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    If this was a Gibson (never seen a Gibbo this bad) it would spark a 20 page thread and calls for the CEOs resignation! Seriously though that’s so bad I think Fender should address it directly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Also, is it me or is the nut actually slotted in at an angle?... (might be my eyes playing tricks on me though)
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Also, is it me or is the nut actually slotted in at an angle?... (might be my eyes playing tricks on me though)
    Looks like it to me as well. Even if it's not, that's awful on a brand new guitar. Or a used one tbh!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1556
    Yuk - that is really frustrating.

What is/was the guitar ?
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5735
    Yeah.... That is totally appalling and should never have been allowed out of the factory like that. And then it should also have never been allowed of the shop like that either. In reality, it should have never been allowed into stock and suggests that the boxes are shipped without even a cursory glance at the merchandise. This is the GuitarGuitar Roasted Maple special I'm guessing? 

There is nothing there that is going to ruin the guitar or that cant be sorted out. So if I really loved how that particular one feels and sounds (awful nut not withstanding) I'd be looking to keep it, along with a VERY substantial discount. Since it could be a very long time, or never, for a replacement. 
  • bluenilebluenile Frets: 47
    Can't believe any shop would let it be sent out in that state. The MIM QC seems to have taken a slide since the advent of the Player series a few years back, shame as it used to be really solid
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7140
    Ouch

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1556
    The more I look at it and think about it (this will sound a bit OTT), but Fender should really give you a guitar gratis for this.

You have waited in line, paid for goods and entered into a contract based upon their reputation for brilliance.

They should be courting your loyalty here with a damn good goodwill gesture - not a ‘sorry, now wait another six months’.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilMPhilM Frets: 279
    The shop hasn't opened it before sending it to me. Not many seem to these days - not the first time I've received something in a state inside a factory-sealed box. Retailer have offered to swap it out with another one that will be checked over. That throws up a few issues though - I'm not around for the rest of the week! 
    The more I look at it and think about it (this will sound a bit OTT), but Fender should really give you a guitar gratis for this.

You have waited in line, paid for goods and entered into a contract based upon their reputation for brilliance.

They should be courting your loyalty here with a damn good goodwill gesture - not a ‘sorry, now wait another six months’.
    I've been a loyal Fender player since I bought my first Fender back in 1995 - but I doubt they'd do that for me. And that's not the purpose of this post either ;)
    edited April 2021
    dazzajl said:
    Yeah.... That is totally appalling and should never have been allowed out of the factory like that. And then it should also have never been allowed of the shop like that either. In reality, it should have never been allowed into stock and suggests that the boxes are shipped without even a cursory glance at the merchandise. This is the GuitarGuitar Roasted Maple special I'm guessing? 

There is nothing there that is going to ruin the guitar or that cant be sorted out. So if I really loved how that particular one feels and sounds (awful nut not withstanding) I'd be looking to keep it, along with a VERY substantial discount. Since it could be a very long time, or never, for a replacement. 
    Correct. It is pretty unplayable out of the box, so not had a chance to form any attachment. GG doesn't open boxes apparently, as it gives the impression that the goods are "second hand" to some customers. Hmmm. If I was selling a special run that was exclusive to my retailer, every single one would be opened, QC'd, and at least attempted at a basic setup so it was playable out of the box.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14213
    tFB Trader
    That is poor by any maker in any era - Should have been caught in time both by Fender and the dealer
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    Send it back.
    Send it back.
    Being swapped tomorrow 
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 775
    edited April 2021
    Shocking. No excuse, but I wonder whether all these factories chasing their tails with back orders during the pandemic is causing a slippage with standards.  No facts behind that BTW! Just wondering.

Either way that's totally unacceptable. I would send it back and move on!

I've had a similar Gibson experience with GG, clearly not checking before they send on. Another example of using some of the other well respected shops which go the extra mile on that front.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    That is bad. 

In my experience its par for the course in terms
    of yeah, the factory would send that out, the distributor would send it to a shop, and a shop would sell it.

Chances are the factory are the only ones one to have even known about this, the rest probably didnt check it, or if they did, didnt care/easier to send on than fill out a return/defect thing. 

Try taking any manufacturer/distributor to task about it though.. for any goods not just guitars. Better off trying to build one yourself.

The only easy day, was yesterday...