Fender "QC" - Is this acceptable these days?

What's Hot

Comments

• PhilMPhilM Frets: 279
    "Just for a bit of context - this guitar was shipped from our warehouse so was boxed sealed stock from Fender. I completely understand that you feel that we should have opened this to check it, and I completely agree, however, whether to open an item and check it, or leave it factory sealed, is one of those decisions where you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Some customers would rather the set-up is checked and some customers don't want any hands on it at all. I think this should have been checked over but at the same time if it was boxed sealed from Fender then you wouldn't expect it to have the issues you have highlighted."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Did Fender Ensenada get the order and then have to fish one out of the skip to make up the consignment?
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    As I often repeat the customer is the quality controller these days  not the factory it seems .This applies to many products ,cars ,electrical goods .They just make em pack em and  ship em and its up to us to return it .I would have probably kept if I liked it and rubbed the marks off .Of course I would have expected a discount for my trouble and Fender would expect this as they are paying me to do a job that in the past they would do .
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited April 2021
    PhilM said:
    dazzajl said:
    Yeah.... That is totally appalling and should never have been allowed out of the factory like that. And then it should also have never been allowed of the shop like that either. In reality, it should have never been allowed into stock and suggests that the boxes are shipped without even a cursory glance at the merchandise. This is the GuitarGuitar Roasted Maple special I'm guessing? 

There is nothing there that is going to ruin the guitar or that cant be sorted out. So if I really loved how that particular one feels and sounds (awful nut not withstanding) I'd be looking to keep it, along with a VERY substantial discount. Since it could be a very long time, or never, for a replacement. 
    Correct. It is pretty unplayable out of the box, so not had a chance to form any attachment. GG doesn't open boxes apparently, as it gives the impression that the goods are "second hand" to some customers. Hmmm. If I was selling a special run that was exclusive to my retailer, every single one would be opened, QC'd, and at least attempted at a basic setup so it was playable out of the box.
    That’s an amusing take given the experience I had with them last year. Bought a Mesa Boogie amp head. When I opened the door for the courier and he put it on the doormat I heard something heavy sliding around loose inside the box. Opened the box, much of the original foam block packaging was missing. The amp was rattling around loose in the box with a couple of unsecured foam cubes.

Perhaps testament to Mesa build quality, the amp worked fine. There were a few very minor superficial scuffs and blemishes consistent with it being a shop demo model/ b-stock/ travel wear in a half empty box. I sent it back mainly as I wasn’t enamoured with the amp model itself, but I was obviously disappointed with the careless presentation. The customer service guy from a different store apologised profusely and agreed it sounded “second hand”... his words. I stuffed the box full of my own bubble wrap and brown paper to reduce movement. Within a week it was back up on the GG website, listed new at full price. So yeah, in some cases factory fresh is desirable....
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30887

Excellent- Ages since we've had a @MarkDPhillips Cleartone Conversion thread.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:

Sorry, that’s gone over my head. You’ll have to enlighten me now...
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30887
    PhilM said:
    Gassage said:

One of the greatest tFB threads ever....

He's at it again. - Guitar Discussions on theFretBoard

To give you some idea of his QC, here's his online Reverb. I'd advise you not to listen to his playing. He is, however, quite harmless - but as mad as a fish.

PCsGC: Phillips Cleartone special Guitar Conversions | Reverb

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Gassage said:
    PhilM said:
    Gassage said:

One of the greatest tFB threads ever....

He's at it again. - Guitar Discussions on theFretBoard

To give you some idea of his QC, here's his online Reverb. I'd advise you not to listen to his playing. He is, however, quite harmless - but as mad as a fish.

PCsGC: Phillips Cleartone special Guitar Conversions | Reverb

Well, that's cheered my day right up. A solution for a problem that no one else seems to have  =)
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I'm gonna stick my neck out here. 

I was expecting a lot worse.
    I reckon that glue will come off and those scratches can be buffed out.
    The black mark on body is a bit annoying but I reckon you won't see it when playing?

Not sure if you have mentioned how it plays? If it plays well I could overlook those issues, especially with a partial refund.

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 453
    Oh dear - that is piss poor! One reason i use people like Coda
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2325
    Nope... That really is absolutely awful. 
  • Rocky1991Rocky1991 Frets: 314
    Did you ask for a weird relic job on top?

Jokes aside, that is beyond ****. I would want my money back. 

If pic 3 was the only problem would still send it back, but you know no one is perfect. All together is quite worrying
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5416
    It's a fair-dinkum shocker. Product like that should never come off the line, never mind get through quality inspections without being picked up. That fretboard is something any reasonable buyer would object to in a $150 guitar at the Reject Shop. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31556
    PhilM said:
    "Just for a bit of context - this guitar was shipped from our warehouse so was boxed sealed stock from Fender. I completely understand that you feel that we should have opened this to check it, and I completely agree, however, whether to open an item and check it, or leave it factory sealed, is one of those decisions where you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Some customers would rather the set-up is checked and some customers don't want any hands on it at all. I think this should have been checked over but at the same time if it was boxed sealed from Fender then you wouldn't expect it to have the issues you have highlighted."
    To be fair it seems common on US guitar forums to expect a factory sealed untampered-with box when you mail order a guitar, possibly because the often trashed floor stock of places like Guitar Center. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3620
    p90fool said:
    PhilM said:
    To be fair it seems common on US guitar forums to expect a factory sealed untampered-with box when you mail order a guitar, possibly because the often trashed floor stock of places like Guitar Center. 
    It's a quandary for the retailer that's for sure.

We've had stories on here of respected sellers who supposedly check out all of their guitars sending out duds too.

I've only ever bought one new guitar, a Fender MIM from GG. Came in a sealed box and was absolutely perfect out of the box.  

I'd rather have a sealed box TBH and know it's not  a shop floor model. 
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 950
    ICBM said:
    Absolutely unacceptable at any price point above the lowest possible entry level.

True, but I haven't seen anything like this on the Bullet Mustang or the Affinity guitars (JM and Starcaster) that I've bought in the past year. They were all perfectly well made straight from the factory. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14210
    tFB Trader
    I'm gonna stick my neck out here. 

I was expecting a lot worse.
    I reckon that glue will come off and those scratches can be buffed out.
    The black mark on body is a bit annoying but I reckon you won't see it when playing?

Not sure if you have mentioned how it plays? If it plays well I could overlook those issues, especially with a partial refund.

I think you are probably right - But still no excuse from Fender and the dealer for allowing to be sent like this 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14210
    tFB Trader
    p90fool said:
    PhilM said:
    I hear such stories - Yet you can instantly tell the difference between a new guitar that has become ex-display + shop soiled - Or the seal has been opened for a final QC by the dealer - Checked with care and wearing the kids glove, even the dealer adding their own QC with their own  checked 'ticked tag/card' to add confidence to 'why buy from us' approach 

There is enough bad feelings, from certain customers, that the dealer just adds to the final cost, due to increased overheads/profits - And offers no additional tangible benefit for the end user - The above example supports their belief in this, as the dealer has effectively only re-labeled a box from the factory - IMO 'we' as in all shops have to stand up and be counted and be 'superior' to the Amazon model  - Hence IMO new boxed stock should still have an additional 'dealer QC' check with an appropriate check list - I appreciate the finer attention to the set-up is a matter of taste - Action, string gauge etc - But that above is just poor on so many levels 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • My Fender QC thread was similar about returning 3 separate Jazzmasters for lifting frets, neck cracks, flaking finish, burnt pickups etc. It seems that the QC is being pushed to the side a bit. Even on my new one which is fine, the poles of the pickup are slightly chewed up, like someone with a heavy hand and a sharp screwdriver adjusted it.. 
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1556
    Slightly off piste, but a question for someone currently or previously running retail (apologies, but the only person I know for sure is @guitars4you).

When does a display model move from being brand spanking new to shop soiled ?

Presumably, smaller shops do not have ten boxed up versions of the same guitar, so it would be normal for much of the stock to be on the shop floor and played/tested by potential buyers.

And ironically, I would imagine even in the bigger retailers, Custom Shop examples will definitely be on the shop floor gathering dust - but that doesn't make them b-stock ?

I think someone recently mentioned Boomerangs - certainly there is no way of really knowing whether a new CS has actually been sent out and rejected numerous times...