Amp tech to troubleshoot my amp?

What's Hot
allenallen Frets: 707
Hi there,

I've got a Tone King Imperial 25th Anniversary. A few years ago Mark Bartel offered an upgrade to owners of the 25th to upgrade to the mark 2 attenuation system.

It consisted of a small board that updated the attenuator and a small switch that allowed for the attenuation to be isolated to the lead channel only instead of working on both channels simultaneously as standard. 

The instruction sheet looked pretty simple and was only a side of A4 with a few wires to attach at various points on the circuit. I've built a few things with a soldering iron before, but decided that I'd rather pay someone to do it. So I went to an amp tech who installed it, but it didn't work as expected. The amp tech just shrugged their shoulders and sent me home with it.

I contacted Mark Bartel who offered to trouble shoot it at no cost, but I would have needed to send the whole thing to the USA and I thought that the hassle/risk/expense was too much. We had a little look at it on a facetime call with me prodding it with a multimeter, but didn't find anything obvious.

I'm looking for someone who can actually look at it and make it work properly. I haven't spoken to Mark, but I'm sure he would be able to talk someone through it and share the technical details. I have no idea what's wrong, but the amp works fine, just the attenuator doesn't isolate to one channel and behaves slightly oddly.

I'm based just outside NorthWest London near Uxbridge.

Any recommendations?

Allen
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72308

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

A colleague of mine does the Boutique Amp Distribution warranty repairs in our premises (BAD make a variety of brand including Friedman, Tone King, Morgan, Wampler pedals), so we are familiar with Tone King amps and can get technical support for this.

• allenallen Frets: 707
    Thanks, will follow up.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Can't help thinking that Boutique Amp Distribution has an unfortunate acronym.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72308
    Sassafras said:
    Unfortunate choice of first word, really.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6795
    edited April 2021
    ICBM said:
    Sassafras said:
    Unfortunate choice of first word, really.
    Yep, Superior Amp Distribution would have been..... oh.
    Maybe Deluxe Amp Distribution for the dad rockers!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1