Mike McCready Signature Strat

What's Hot

Comments

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4663
    randella said:
    soma1975 said:
    Mile McCready is an absolute legend. Srv and Hendrix through punk rock in a Seattle Alt Rock Band that evolved to be a huge stadium filling act over the decades. 

One of my all time faves.

Still not interested in the guitar.
    Yep, he is to me too. They're not doing too badly - 30 years after their debut and they've shifted well over 60 million records, and still sell out arenas. I managed to see their rearranged O2 gig a couple of years back, after Eddie did his voice in. Christ that was a night. A band at the height of their powers - a three-hour set, I didn't dare take my eyes off it even to nip to the gents. In retrospect the couple of pints of pissy gig lager I had weren't the brightest idea.

The guitar - I dunno. Not my thing, but I reckon McCready's earned his stripes and if Fender want to give him a sig then fair play. As for the 'fools' buying them, I reckon the last laugh will be on us - there's no way in hell those guitars are going to fall in value.
    I was at that gig and they were a band on top form. 
    Mccready is one of my fav guitarists, but £15k ? Nah 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 761
    Whitecat said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    Whitecat said:
    Peach and Coda already presold their allocations. 

Gen X has money now...
    That’s just it. For all we ridicule and bemoan fools with their money, these guitars consistently sell without any hassle at all. 
    Probably although the major dealers seem to still have stock of the Iommi SG replica and the more recent Hendrix SG Custom and Flying V. Maybe those artists are no longer in vogue or people don't rate limited edition Gibsons?
    Or maybe we’re transitioning into a new era of guitar heroes? People who looked up to guys who were doing new things in the 90s maybe don’t care as much about owning signature stuff from rock dinosaurs...
    That is definitely a thing I think. You have the Cobain signatures, Adam Jones Les Paul, the Cornell ES335, Ed O'brien strat, Noel Gallagher is getting his Gibson acoustic. Then there's the Gretsch 89 VS Sparkle Jet...another Cornell signature in all but name.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Sassafras said:
    I like Pearl Jam but I couldn't name a single member.
    Not even Mike McCready?
    Who?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    I suppose I am not target market. I always think of them as ‘grunge lite’ - and they probably have sold shit loads of records. So have Nickleback. So what?

As Gassage rightly points out $15k gets you into real thing territory especially if you don’t mind it being ‘player’ condition - and some non original parts.

Honestly... signature guitars bore me no matter who the artist is. Even ones I’ve heard of.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Philly_Q said:
    Sassafras said:
    I like Pearl Jam but I couldn't name a single member.
    I don't particularly like them but I could name every member.  Including ex-members.

I'm not sure if that proves anything.
    I think it proves you need to get out more!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    A). Why people chose to go on threads like this to display their musical ignorance is beyond me. I’m not a massive PJ fan but am aware enough to know how important they are.

B). Ludicrous price, but the fact that they will all sell out means that the market has chosen this price, Fender are just doing business. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    dindude said:
    A). Why people chose to go on threads like this to display their musical ignorance is beyond me. 
    True - “Who is Mike McCready” is just a Google search away.

Truth be told, his best work was with Stillwater.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    edited April 2021
    Despite people’s thoughts Clapton,SRV Hendrix et al aren’t really relevant to the nostalgia market anymore. 
    It’s smart of fender to target guys in their mid 40-50’s who are now the people with disposable income and a desire to recapture their youth. 
    In 10 years time a new batch of mid 40-50’s with disposable income will come along and fender will drag out another signature  model to match the time frame. 

For what it’s worth, I like a lot of PJ records and the sound of mikes strat is on some absolute classic songs. 
    Over priced defo, but then so was the Grohl sig and look how that shot up in value. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2992
    edited April 2021
    I'm not into the whole relicing thing and 15k is crazy. But McCready is a legend to me. I was around 16 when Ten came out, Pearl Jam were massive with people my age and McCready' guitar playing is hugely influential, with that Strat used on so many songs and solos (although I don't think it was on Ten as he bought it in 92) If you think about it, 91 was only about 25 years after the era of the guitar rock gods began. At that time, apart from Hendrix I didn't have much interest in guitarist of the past (that came later), did not like 80's shredders and knew nothing about Van Halen apart from Jump. The Seattle bands were my guitar gods.

Ten was released 30 years ago from this year, a longer gap than back then from the original guitar gods. The Seattle grunge era bands are by now easily in 'classic' era for us forty-something year olds. 

Here's a non Pearl Jam performance with McCready on fire with the strat

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Some might say he brought back old school guitar tone.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    soma1975 said:
    Mile McCready is an absolute legend. Srv and Hendrix through punk rock in a Seattle Alt Rock Band that evolved to be a huge stadium filling act over the decades. 

One of my all time faves.

Still not interested in the guitar.
    I'm in the younger half of the demographic here and I honestly didn't know who Mick McCready was, I know the band though.

I don't think you can call him a legend.
    I don't think he has had the guitar impact of people like slash, van Halen,  cobain, hetfield/hammett etc

Can't even remember a riff or anything particular with pearl jam to be honest. Yet we all know jump, teen spirit, sweet child etc
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    Ten sold more copies than The Joshua Tree, Bad, or Like a Virgin.

I'm not sure thats true....
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited April 2021
    @meltedbuzzbox ;; You can argue taste all day long. 

You can, rightly, say the guitar is overpriced/ not relevant or appealing to you. 

What you can't say is that PJ, and in particular Mike McCready and Eddie Vedder aren't hugely influential music icons. 

Grunge changed everything for a period. PJ, Nirvana, Sound Garden, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains etc were the driving force behind that whole scene. Nirvana and PJ were top of the tree. MM was the lead guitarist of a legendary (Inducted into the hall of fame in the first year they were eligible; legendary) guitar based band, doing new things in new ways. 

He's absolutely had the impact of Slash, and like it or not, his career has lasted 30+ years and they're still selling out arenas and festivals. Cobain was dead barely 4 years after the Seattle grunge seen went global. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited April 2021
    Come on - Alive, Even Flow, Yellow Ledbetter. The solo in Alive is the benchmark for strat lead tones for me. 

Still wouldn't buy this sig though, at the end of the day it's still just a sunburst strat which is the worst Fender finish other than bright red.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Jetfire said:
    Ten sold more copies than The Joshua Tree, Bad, or Like a Virgin.

I'm not sure thats true....

To clarify in the US.

Worldwide it might be a different story m
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
    Pearl Jam were possibly bigger in the states than the UK to be fair. Not sure we’re quite out of the Hendrix/ Clapton/ SRV worship era yet either...I’m 38 and have the Clapton signature acoustic. 

In any case, at £15000 it’s less about being a fan and more about being extremely well off (or not well off but having vastly different financial priorities from most). To be fair, for a 45year old banker earning £15k a week this is small change. Plenty of those types around.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    @meltedbuzzbox ;; You can argue taste all day long. 

You can, rightly, say the guitar is overpriced/ not relevant or appealing to you. 

What you can't say is that PJ, and in particular Mike McCready and Eddie Vedder aren't hugely influential music icons. 

Grunge changed everything for a period. PJ, Nirvana, Sound Garden, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains etc were the driving force behind that whole scene. Nirvana and PJ were top of the tree. MM was the lead guitarist of a legendary (Inducted into the hall of fame in the first year they were eligible; legendary) guitar based band, doing new things in new ways. 

He's absolutely had the impact of Slash, and like it or not, his career has lasted 30+ years and they're still selling out arenas and festivals. Cobain was dead barely 4 years after the Seattle grunge seen went global. 
    So if we went down the dog and duck you honestly hand on heart reckon more people would know even flow over sweet child of mine or smells like teen spirit?

From my opinion/experience I would have said Nirvana > pearl jam

Nirvana killed off hair metal, spawned a genre and still influences bands and people's dress to this day

Pearl jam didn't have that impact. Happy to be proven wrong if I have somehow missed the movement caused by the "legendary" pearl jam.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • TTBZ said:
    Come on - Alive, Even Flow, Yellow Ledbetter. The solo in Alive is the benchmark for strat lead tones for me. 

Still wouldn't buy this sig though, at the end of the day it's still just a sunburst strat which is the worst Fender finish other than bright red.
    I'd actually say YL is more of an obvious, benchmark Strat sound for me. The little deft touches and pickup clicks in that just sound more Strat than anything else I've ever heard! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited April 2021
    TTBZ said:

I'd actually say YL is more of an obvious, benchmark Strat sound for me. The little deft touches and pickup clicks in that just sound more Strat than anything else I've ever heard! 
    Definitely - although I hate those clean in-between sounds so that song is more a benchmark for the sort of tones I try to avoid on a strat
  • @meltedbuzzbox ;; You can argue taste all day long. 

So if we went down the dog and duck you honestly hand on heart reckon more people would know even flow over sweet child of mine or smells like teen spirit?

From my opinion/experience I would have said Nirvana > pearl jam

Nirvana killed off hair metal, spawned a genre and still influences bands and people's dress to this day

Pearl jam didn't have that impact. Happy to be proven wrong if I have somehow missed the movement caused by the "legendary" pearl jam.
    I was in my prime at the time. 

When the mainstream music press were trying to engineer a Blur vs Oasis hype war, the rock scene was all about PJ vs Nirvana. I liked both, and saw both several times. You'll get no argument from me that at the time Nirvana were marginally bigger, but you need to understand how that Seattle thing came about, as they all emerged together. Many of those at the forefront were in several of the bands and the whole scene was a bit incestuous. 

In fact, neither PJ or Nirvana can claim to have kicked off grunge. 

It was Mother Love Bone