HX Stomp Power Question

What's Hot
GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
Have just ordered a HX Stomp. From what I've read it requires 1000mA to power it.

My pedalboard PSU only has 500mA outputs.

Could I combine two outputs from the PSU to power the HX Stomp? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JotaJota Frets: 464
    You can probably feed it with a regular 500mA output.
    Mine is powered by a single output from a Truetone Cs6 with no issues. 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    Jota said:
    Thanks. I guess I'll give it a go with my regular power supply and if it doesn't work go from there. 

I think my L'il Moxie USB powerbank supply would power it easy, but I'd rather do it all from the same PSU.

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Have just ordered a HX Stomp. From what I've read it requires 1000mA to power it.

I do this - there's a Voodoo cable that you need and an adapter to make it fit. I'll see if I can find the links.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598

Mine runs fine off 2 500mA outputs of a Strymon Ojai with a current doubler cable and the right sized( and polarity) barrel plug for the HX Stomp. 
    edited April 2021
    Yes, you need a reverse polarity cable and a 2.1x5.5 to 2.5x5.5 adapter. 
    Jota said:
    As far as I know the HX Stomp isn't reverse polarity, it's the centre negative standard. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers all. Just ordered a Voodoo Labs current doubler cable from Guitar Guitar and an adapter cable 2.1mm - 2.5mm from Amazon. 

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    If you can do some very basic soldering you can make your self a cable that powers if with about £3 in parts. 
    2 standard connectors (these will go into the power supply 500ma) soldered in parallel (i.e both positive on the same lug, both negative on the same lug) in the correct size Barrel ... Which I can't remember right now 
    Jota said:
    As far as I know the HX Stomp isn't reverse polarity, it's the centre negative standard. 
    I think so but, 2.5mm plugs are usually positive center so you'll need a reverse polarity cable to make it work.

• smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664
    The Stomp is defo centre negative, and you get the 2.5mm connector with centre negative no probs. I ran mine for ages from a Zuma with current doubler into 2.1>2.5 adapter.
    I think I've ordered all the cables and adapters I'll need. 

Sometimes it'll be on my pedalboard as a pre-amp. So I've got the current doubler and a 2.5mm to 2.1 cable ordered.

Other times I might use it standalone with headphones, and for that I'll use a powerbank, and so I've ordered a 2.5mm to 2.1mm adapter plug. 

I think that's all the bases covered. Thank you all for your contributions.

I'm looking forward to playing with my new toy when it arrives tomorrow. Initially I was looking at buying a new high gain amp - perhaps a 6505 MH, I was also looking at pedals like the Revv G4. But weighing it all up realised I could probably get everything I want with a HX Stomp into the return of my amp and also having a good headphone practice option too. 

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Jota said:
    Correct, it's the same as boss pedals so the typical barrel size adapters labelled for "Line 6" won't work. OP, I've got some little right-angle 2.1 -2.5mm non-reverse polarity adapters, I'll send you one if you want. They cost basically nothing so just PM me if one would help.
    Cirrus said:
    Jota said:
    Correct, it's the same as boss pedals so the typical barrel size adapters labelled for "Line 6" won't work. OP, I've got some little right-angle 2.1 -2.5mm non-reverse polarity adapters, I'll send you one if you want. They cost basically nothing so just PM me if one would help.
    Thanks for the offer. Already got some on the way that cost peanuts. 

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited April 2021
    Jota said:
    Truetone CS6 is able to supply much more than the rated power from a single outlet, due to its design, so running up to 1A from a single 500 mA output is fine. What you must absolutely not do is exceed the total power rating of the supply. 

Not all power supplies can do this.
    My Stomp has just arrived. Am very excited to have a play. Though I've got so much work I have to do first. It's sat there waiting. Boo.