Deluxe Memory Man misbehaving

What's Hot
jacklawteyjacklawtey Frets: 284
So I picked this up locally and it's being an arsehole. Modulation only works when it wants to and turning the modulation knob seems to change the delay repeats. You can hear the vibrato 'kick in' sometimes at certain settings, usually maximum, but isn't present on the repeats. Any ideas? 

Video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nIzytmH6d1JoN1KoaPMRftFbl0pbXCP6/view?usp=sharing
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    Memory Man Behaving Badly?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jacklawteyjacklawtey Frets: 284
    mart said:
    That's the theme song stuck in my head all day now. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    mart said:
    That's the theme song stuck in my head all day now. 
    Got it stuck on repeat? Perhaps you can reduce the feedback time and it'll soon stop?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Here's a weird one, when I apply downwards force to the Chorus/Vibrato knob, the effect seems to appear in some form. Only when applying the pressure. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Sounds like either a faulty pot or a cracked connection on the PCB which is being disturbed by pressing on the knob.

Any comeback on the purchase?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Sounds like either a faulty pot or a cracked connection on the PCB which is being disturbed by pressing on the knob.

Any comeback on the purchase?
    Aye, I think the bloke will refund me. I think I’d be wise to take it, actually. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9528
    They can be temperamental imho.

Modern equivalents get 90% there without all the hassle
  • joshjoshjoshjosh Frets: 10
    You might have returned it already but in case this is useful to anyone else...

I just had this exact problem on a DMM I picked up recently (although when the chorus/vibrato cut out on mine the knob would change the delay time slightly). The modulation would only sometimes work, but a little tap on the box would usually get it working again. 

Anyway, I eventually opened it up and noticed a cracked solder joint on one of the lugs for that pot so I just reflowed it. It’s only been about a week since I did it but so far it’s worked perfectly every time I’ve used it. Apparently it’s a common problem on some of these old DMMs. 

Hope this saves someone the time it took me to figure it out! I probably have a photo of the cracked joint to share if anyone is interested. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    joshjosh said:
    You might have returned it already but in case this is useful to anyone else...

I just had this exact problem on a DMM I picked up recently (although when the chorus/vibrato cut out on mine the knob would change the delay time slightly). The modulation would only sometimes work, but a little tap on the box would usually get it working again. 

Anyway, I eventually opened it up and noticed a cracked solder joint on one of the lugs for that pot so I just reflowed it. It’s only been about a week since I did it but so far it’s worked perfectly every time I’ve used it. Apparently it’s a common problem on some of these old DMMs. 

Hope this saves someone the time it took me to figure it out! I probably have a photo of the cracked joint to share if anyone is interested. 

Appreciate it! I gave it to a local tech who fixed it up for less than £30. It was that exact issue. 
  • 19831983 Frets: 21
    Mine misbehaves on certain power supplies. Doesn’t always like voodoo labs but works perfect on truetone equivalent... also the chorus/vib knob does affect delay times, or at least it has done on both my memory men.... still the best delay pedal!