Boss RC-3 problems

What's Hot
NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3389
edited April 2021 in FX

I was using my Boss RC3 earlier today. When I stomped on it to start the loop, it showed an 'FL' error code on the screen.

I could not clear this code, so I switched it off. When I switched it back on, it flashed 'Er' on the screen.

I have tried a factory reset, but was unable to complete the process- it just showed another error code, 'dN'.

The manual suggests that this means the unit needs to be returned for repair. However, I've had similar issues in the past and have been able to restore the pedal eventually. It's been running trouble free for quite a while but I can't seem to clear the error this time.

Has anyone experienced similar issues?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Chris.BChris.B Frets: 282
    It could be worth taking the battery out and leaving it overnight, just in case the battery is powering a circuit that has got itself hung up. 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3389
    Thanks Chris.

Worth a try, but no luck unfortunately. I'm looking for a Boss approved repairer now :-( 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    NelsonP said:

Worth a try, but no luck unfortunately. I'm looking for a Boss approved repairer now :-( 
    It should be under warranty if it’s less than five years old. Any Roland dealer should be able to arrange a repair or replacement.

Failing that, I have one I’m not really using that I might sell...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2021
    Not sure how old it is, but I bought it second hand a couple of years ago from @Wazmeister of this parish, so not covered by warranty.

I suspect the memory has failed. Not sure whether it is an economic repair or not. It has happened a couple of times before and some messing about with factory resets etc has worked. But not this time.
    So, I just managed to reformat the memory and it worked. The pedal worked perfectly again....

For about 3 minutes. Then it crapped out again :-(

Back to Roland/Boss I go.
    ...and it's come back to life again.  Factory reset via PC connection. Let's see how that goes.
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 282
    10/10 for persisting with this one - I hope it stays fixed. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    I’d send it to Boss now mate; you’ve got the invoice so they’ll honour the 5 year :)