Basic home recording/edit?

What's Hot
What do I use (App?)to make a music only track,or voice only for that matter?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3682
    GarageBand if you’re a Mac user or Audacity 
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 741
    edited April 2021
    I use Audacity too. Reasonably intuitive freeware. A little bit fiddly to start with but you soon get use to its little quirks and eventually discover there's everything you need really for editing and effects at a basic level. Or you could read some instructions!

Full set up (for acoustic instrumentals only usually). Hand-held Zoom H4 recorder (now quite outdated) on an old music stand base using mains power in put as Zoom H4 eats through batteries for some reason . I use the biderectional stereo mics on the Zoom. Record at adequate sampling rate for .wav files. Remove SD card from Zoom and put into CD. Download raw file and then use Audacity to edit. Usually just use Fade In, Fade Out and a little bit of Reverb so nothing too fancy but I can get my preferred sound and tone. Save final 'cut' as .wav file. Then, when I have collected about 15 tracks together, I use Windows Media Player on Windows 10 to burn CD's. The only current problem with that is that current home PC's tend not to have CD drives any longer so you have to buy a plug-in drive. No problem. They're only about 20-30 quid.

This whole set-up fits in a small box!

Hope that gives you some inspiration. Recording doesn't need to be complex or expensive. Nor does it require an extra room!

Recording does however remain stressful.     3
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4091
    Reaper on Windows
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4773
    iOS? Apple provides Voice Memos (which can record at lossless quality) and is as easy to use as a voice memo recorder. They also have/had something nicer called Music Memos, but have decided to drop that app, so I wouldn't waste your time with it now. They also have Garageband on iOS, which is great for multitrack recordings, software instruments, etc. 

All are free.