Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Favourite seven guitar players

What's Hot
The other day my 9-year old expressed her surprise at how I couldn't pick my favourite ever song and also how my favourite colour hadn't changed in her lifetime, she changes hers on a regular basis. Got thinking of my favourite guitar players- I chose seven as a) it is my favourite number and b) there were a good few candidates for 8th spot but I would have found it hard to leave one of these out:

Jeff Beck
Mattias Ia Eklundh
Jimi Hendrix
Allan Holdsworth
Michael Landau
Richard Thompson
Steve Vai

Anyone else have a top seven?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    I think these threads are more interesting if they're restricted to one with reasons, otherwise we just get a list of guitarists - a lot of which will be the same. 

My favourite guitarist changes regularly - depending on what I'm listening to, really, but I tend to steer away from technically excellent ones and favour ones who evoke emotions in me. Gilmour is a prime candidate and I suspect would feature in a lot of peoples top 7.

But my favourite guitarist, I think, is Andy Partridge (and / or Dave Gregory as I'm never 100% sure who is playing what). Technically, he's nowhere near the best (although Dave Gregory probably is up there) but his /their choice of chords and solos etc are so perfect for just about every song. They are probably my favourite band overall. 

I also really like almost everthing Andy Summers plays in The Police - again, it always serves the song and his choices are always interesting. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12254
    The guitarists who mainly inspired me to play guitar were John Squire, Jonny Greenwood, Joey Santiago and Frank Black (pixies) and Johnny Marr, my favourite guitarists to listen to play generally are mark knopfler, dave gilmour, Hendrix and Clapton.

I'm at 9 already - I'm out.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30825
    OK - mine:

1. Gilmour
    2. Gary Moore
    3. Earl Slick
    4. Craig Ross
    5. Lindsey Buckingham
    6. SRV
    7. Robert Smith
    Which kind of alludes that I love players that fit into a song.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Do I have a top seven? No! I probably could rustle up 7 but my 'honest' list is usually smaller.

The thing that I find interesting is how my fave guitar players change over time.

Going way back, it was Brian May, Steve Howe, Alex Lifeson, Steve Rothery
    Then Satriani, Vai, Petrucci
    later it was Jeff Beck, Thomas Blug
    Next up Guthrie and Alex Hutchings
    Currently Nick Barrett, Steve Hackett, John Mitchell

I may have missed out important players! That is off the top of my head.

Chuffola said:
    But my favourite guitarist, I think, is Andy Partridge (and / or Dave Gregory as I'm never 100% sure who is playing what). 
    I never particularly rated them as guitarists back in the days when XTC were having hits, I saw them as merely functional, but Dave Gregory really surprised me some years ago when I discovered his bands Big Big Train and Tin Spirits. He plays some cracking stuff with them - BBTs 'Master of time' is a real guitar solo fave of mine.
  • uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 308
    Never listened to any XTC- which album should I start with?
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Obviously, as has been said, a lot of the same players will be mentioned over and over again - particularly as many on this forum have a penchant/nostalgia for that 80s American stuff (Hair Metal/Lycra Rock?). So I'm going to pick seven that inspire me from the last decade or so.
    Ellie Rowsell & Joff Oddie -Wolf Alice
    Annie Clark - St Vincent
    Anna Calvi
    Ritzy Bryan - The Joy Formidable
    Daniel Rothman - London Grammar (new album out this Friday. Can't wait!)
    Gemma Thompson - Savages

I've thought of at least another four, but I'll play by the rules. That's my seven.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    uksaint7 said:

Sorry to jump in - a lot of fans really rate Drums And Wires or English Settlement - but if you want an overview then Fossil Fuel, a double career spanning retrospective of all the singles, is a great place to start.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26747
    I don't have a single favourite colour, but Im a fan of earthy reds and greens if that helps. 

In terms of guitarists, that's definitely pretty fluid. 15 years ago I'd have said Jonny Greenwood, Matt Bellamy and Jimmy Page. These days I'd probably put Jason Isbell, Adam Granduciel and Justin Vernon at the top, but that'll change every few months. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    edited April 2021
    AlexC said:
    uksaint7 said:

Sorry to jump in - a lot of fans really rate Drums And Wires or English Settlement - but if you want an overview then Fossil Fuel, a double career spanning retrospective of all the singles, is a great place to start.
    That is a good starting place but really any of the albums from Drums and Wire right through are all excellent - and all very different. Nonsuch is probably my favourite - the guitar solo on That Wave is short but absolutely gorgeous (suspect it's Gregory). Black Sea has some crackers too.  English Settlement probably the usual choice for most though. 

Although they are a primarily guitar based band, they are definitely of a "pop" sensibility (in the same way the Beatles were) so no 10 minute long guitar riffs / solos. They may very well not be something you'll like. I think they're up with the absolute best and they have some impressive fans (including Steven Wilson, who remastered a lot of the albums over the last few years)
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited April 2021
    I definitely have a number one favourite that never changes - Jack White. His playing, songs and approach speak to me, I know he's not the best player but that's not usually the same question as a favourite player.

The remaining six, if we are talking only electric, cover the other types of music I play though I've never really found any specific artists that do the kind of music my singing voice is most suited to, mainly because I don't really like that style of music...

Also worth noting I got into guitar music in the early 2000s as a teenager, which explains some choices maybe.

Nick Zinnner of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs - similar "low rent" style as Jack White I suppose, but love the energy and heaviness of his sounds, feel like quite a workout to listen to or to play.

Jeff Buckley - brilliant accompaniment to himself, love how chord voicings and the sheer space in his sounds

Jimmy Page - I learnt a lot from learning bits of his songs, mostly rhythm playing though (which I know it's ironic considering how out of time he usually is). 

Johnny Greenwood - a recent discovery for me, but love his approach to playing and arranging, the guitar playing is only a small part.

Jimi - just because, well, just because

Annie Clarke/St Vincent - creative lead lines and cool sounds, I find her music very refreshing in its use of guitar. She's an incredible player.

If anybody thinks of any interesting players along these lines I'd be very keen to hear about them...

Edit: it seems I am obsessed with players beginning with J
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Gassage said:

6. SRV
    Doh! I knew I missed someone very important! My fave guitarist 83-90
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Garne then, I'll have a go.  In no particular order:

Wilko Johnson 

Johnny Ramone

Brian Setzer

Glen Tilbrook

Alex Chilton

Michael "Olga" Algar

James Taylor

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26747
    I don't have a single favourite colour, but Im a fan of earthy reds and greens if that helps. 

In terms of guitarists, that's definitely pretty fluid. 15 years ago I'd have said Jonny Greenwood, Matt Bellamy and Jimmy Page. These days I'd probably put Jason Isbell, Adam Granduciel and Justin Vernon at the top, but that'll change every few months. 
    Thinking more, I've realised that actually the other most obvious guy I would put in my top seven is The Edge, and it was back then as well.

Not sure on the others. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • NoNotNowNoNotNow Frets: 2
    I'll go for these lads; 

Jimmy Nolen,

Gary Moore,

EVH,

Denny Dias,

Greg Howe,

Guthrie Govan and

Brent Hinds
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    all 7 of mine are lil wayne
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    I don't have a favourite guitar player.  I listen to a lot of classical piano and have no favourite piano player either.  In a similar vein, I don't have a favourite uillleann pipes player for that matter.

The thing is I don't care who they are if they can play music.  Music that I can listen to.  TBH there are very few guitar players that fit into that category.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    edited April 2021
    Dave Gilmour
    Jeff Beck
    Rev Gibbons
    Steve Hillage
    Pat Metheny
    Iommi
    Ali Farke Toure

(based on what they have created)
  • Jimi
    Marr
    Page 
    Gilmour 
    Thayil
    Cantrell
    Ed Wynne

• Have come at this from the perspective of guitarists whose music I like listening to most as opposed to a list of guitarists whose technical expertise I most respect (although not mutually exclusive):

Jimi
    Frusciante
    McCready
    Keef
    Page
    Knopfler
    Morello