Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitars that don't look like other guitars appreciation thread

What's Hot
What's the best looking guitar that's doing its own thing? One that's original and has something strikingly new about it. I'm a sucker for a Teisco Spectrum 5, and would love to play one. Don't get me wrong, I've got an Epiphone Dot and am very fond of it, but there's something about a guitar which is bold in an interesting way.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    For devilment, I nominate Simon Nicol's Corn Flakes packet guitar.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Yamaha used to have some pretty wacky designs.
  • For devilment, I nominate Simon Nicol's Corn Flakes packet guitar.

That actually looks surprisingly cool. If someone made a single coil version robust enough to survive regular playing and at a reasonable price point I would 100% consider buying it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1272
    I quite like the look of the Yamaha Revstars. Also becoming increasingly interested in the Deusenberg Fullerton CC......and the Eastman Romeo LA.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    tFB Trader
    I like many guitars that have that cool 50's/60's retro vibe like the Teisco's above - But I want them to feel/play like a CS Fender or PRS as so use to that easy/slick modern vibe - In many ways Duesenberg offer that 'improved' playability - But many old/original wacky guitars can look great but a dog to play

Remember that many times such guitars were not wanted, until a band/star starts to use them - Jack White + Ramones - Then the price goes north as many want to jump on board
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    I really like most of the Novo stuff, especially the Serus. and Solus They are different enough whilst having a slightly familiar look/ feel
  • I like many guitars that have that cool 50's/60's retro vibe like the Teisco's above - But I want them to feel/play like a CS Fender or PRS as so use to that easy/slick modern vibe - In many ways Duesenberg offer that 'improved' playability - But many old/original wacky guitars can look great but a dog to play

Remember that many times such guitars were not wanted, until a band/star starts to use them - Jack White + Ramones - Then the price goes north as many want to jump on board
    It's a shame the modern Teisco aren't yet revisiting these old designs, it seems like some good quality reissues of these guitars could provide the best of both worlds. 

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    edited April 2021
    Despite them not really being suitable for the kind of styles I play, and despite the fact I'd look like a complete plonker playing one, I have always quite liked the Iceman shape guitars

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • personalnadirpersonalnadir Frets: 355
    edited April 2021
    Despite them not really being suitable for the kind of styles I play, and despite the fact I'd look like a complete plonker playing one, I have always quite liked the Iceman shape guitars

I feel like some guitars fit any kind of music and player - I feel the the Iceman isn't one of them. I think my clean tones would be wasted on one. On the other hand there's an Ibanez Iceman acoustic Ukele, so what do I know?
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    edited April 2021

I feel like some guitars fit any kind of music and player - I feel the the Iceman isn't one of them. I think my clean tones would be wasted on one. On the other hand there's an Ibanez Iceman acoustic Ukele, so what do I know?
    That's different though - I'd look like a bellend trying to play any uke, so shaping it like an Iceman wouldn't change anything!

In fairness, I've wanted an Iceman since I heard White Zombie's Astro Creep album. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    What's the best looking guitar that's doing its own thing? One that's original and has something strikingly new about it. I'm a sucker for a Teisco Spectrum 5, and would love to play one. Don't get me wrong, I've got an Epiphone Dot and am very fond of it, but there's something about a guitar which is bold in an interesting way.

I saw The Selecter in 2018 and their guitarist had one ( or something very similar) - nice and noticeable from the back of a crowd.    

I've probably told this story before but I went to a jam night a few times. One of the people there was a short, fat Jamaican guy probably in his fifties. Dressed in jeans and a jumper or whatever. He's known to the guy who runs the jam night and says he  plays some Bob Marley songs. Gets a big guitar case out of his car and pulls out an Ibanez Paul Stanley Iceman  ( like the above with some added bling). The guitar was nearly as big as him and it seemed very incongruous but sounded absolutely fine.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24189
    2reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24189

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• I want the dragon's eyes to glow and it to breathe fire every time I play a power chord!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    I've always wanted a Roswell Rhoads. There's some interesting designs by Backlund, too.
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132

Teuffel Birdfish.

https://www.teuffel.com/index.htm

None of the Teuffel models look like anything else, but the Birdfish is the most batshit.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22714
    I quite like the ESP Forest shape, although it would look silly on anyone who isn't some kind of power/symphonic metal elf.

ESP  ARTIST CUSTOM GUITARS
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

I bet that's good for practicing your scales.
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1830
    I think the reason I havent got an electric guitar yet and play solely acoustic is my love of the 'classic' look. Funky is not my thing. Somebody mentioned the Revstar but I dont think its too far off the classic look myself. When I do get an electric,soon I hope,I will be mostly pragmatic with my choice and wouldn't buy anything bizarre looking.