Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitars that don't look like other guitars appreciation thread

What's Hot

Comments

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    For a long time I wanted a Parker Fly, but mainly because of the hybrid thing and also because of the (light) weight.  But I could never make my mind up about the look, and I'm still not sure if it works.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Teuffel Birdfish.

https://www.teuffel.com/index.htm

None of the Teuffel models look like anything else, but the Birdfish is the most batshit.

Watched the clip of Rhett Schull playing one. It actually looks less weird being played than it does in pictures. The off putting thing (apart from the price point which was £13,034.00 from The North American Guitar - according to their site) is how configurable it is! You can swap the tone bars, twist the pickups and I think even replace them on the fly) - that's too much choice when settling down for an evening's noodling. I'd be curious to know if anyone owns one and what they are like to play.

Also not going to work with many guitar stands.  
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I wish I knew which bakery this guitar came from:

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I love the look of the Gordon Smith GS-0 Special. I don't think it does the sounds I'd want, and ultimately the lack of fret access would get to me, but I think it's a great looking thing.

Also love the Rivolta Mondata, both two guitars in a standard shape, but I think I'd recognise them by sight.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    edited April 2021
    PRS Vela. It's modern and different looking but still a bit vintagey and familiar at the same time. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22742
    Sassafras said:

Ah, it's a long time since I've seen that!  Didn't he have a site - probably a MySpace page - about building it?

It's making me think of school Harvest festivals.  Do they still do those?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2627
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    I've always thought the Steinberger headless ones were cool. When I first saw one (either Mark Knopfler at the Princes Trust or EVH in the Live Without a Net)  in the 1980s, it was a real WTF moment

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5133

Teuffel Birdfish.

https://www.teuffel.com/index.htm

None of the Teuffel models look like anything else, but the Birdfish is the most batshit.

Watched the clip of Rhett Schull playing one. It actually looks less weird being played than it does in pictures. The off putting thing (apart from the price point which was £13,034.00 from The North American Guitar - according to their site) is how configurable it is! You can swap the tone bars, twist the pickups and I think even replace them on the fly) - that's too much choice when settling down for an evening's noodling. I'd be curious to know if anyone owns one and what they are like to play.

Also not going to work with many guitar stands.  
    Too much choice *after* you assemble the guitar. There's a shot of the guitar in the case on the Teuffel website and it looks like it's basically in pieces. That's a lot standing in the way of a casual noodle of an evening.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 844
    Competition Win a DAngelico Premier Ludlow

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2021

Tao Guitars Disco Volante.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Jersey Girl Guitars (Japan)
    0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22742

Jersey Girl Guitars (Japan)
    Oooh.  That is cool.
    Lots of others at their website - for example:

Brain-meltingly expensive of course, but on my Euromillions list. Each guitar is unique and (I think) comes with a matching strap. 
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lots of others at their website - for example:

Brain-meltingly expensive of course, but on my Euromillions list. Each guitar is unique and (I think) comes with a matching strap. 

Some of them come with a matching overdrive pedal! Boston Guitars had them listed for about $6000 - $9000. I don't know what they play like, but I think they justify that price based on looks
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Neill said:
    For a long time I wanted a Parker Fly, but mainly because of the hybrid thing and also because of the (light) weight.  But I could never make my mind up about the look, and I'm still not sure if it works.
    I'd love a proper Parker Fly Deluxe (had a one of the cheaper P38s in my teens) but my band have also said they're keeping my share of the fee if I ever turn up with one so it's probably off the menu. As someone who likes Offsets and Semis, I think the deluxes look killer. I'm less keen on the singlecuts, flamey ones, natural finish ones or any of that, though. Metallic blue for me.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Philly_Q said:
    Sassafras said:

Ah, it's a long time since I've seen that!  Didn't he have a site - probably a MySpace page - about building it?

It's making me think of school Harvest festivals.  Do they still do those?
    Don't know about him building it. He had some sort of blog where he was trying to meet docile compliant women.
    The guitar reminds me of those fancy loaves French Boulangeries use for display purposes.
    Boston Guitars had them listed for about $6000 - $9000.

Y'know that doesn't seem so bad, somehow. For some reason I thought they were in the tens of thousands.

If I did get those Euromillions, a Michiro Matsuda deconstructed archtop would also be on the list:

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    There y'go - Spalt Happy Prince, $38,000 (I think it's a bit bling, myself, but I'm sure there are people who'd go for it):

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited April 2021
    I know people go on about living in the 50s/60s and wotnot but isn't there a bit of redesigning the wheel about it all?