What’s your favourite speaker for a Fender 6G3 Brown Deluxe?

What's Hot
OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
Hi chaps,

As per the subject line really.

In 90’s I had a pair of original Brown Deluxes and ran them side by side. It was magic. I stupidly sold them both when they didn’t suit the band I was in at the time. Fast forward to now, and I saw one offered for sale not far from me. It turns out to be one of my old ones, so I’ve got it back!

However, it’s now fitted with a rather underwhelming Celestion G12L-35 which I want to replace. I think this one had a Weber C12N in it when I sold it, which was ok, but I’d like to explore other speakers. 

I need fat mids, good bottom and smooth top really. These amps drive very nicely. I don’t think I need super sensitivity as I reckon my deafening days are over.

What do you think?

Rob
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 401
    Try the Celestion A type. It's an under-the-radar bargain. I've got one in my Pento-Sonic. 
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    RickLucas said:
    Try the Celestion A type. It's an under-the-radar bargain. I've got one in my Pento-Sonic. 
    Hi Rick,

Never tried one. At 50w, it’s going to take some driving though isn’t it? I was thinking more on the lines of something 25w ish, but I can be persuaded.

Rob

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    Ossyrocks said:
    Never tried one. At 50w, it’s going to take some driving though isn’t it? 
    no, it just means it won't die unless that 50w is exceeded.
    Pete Thorn did a nice demo of the neo v type. I know you like to minimise weight.
    Or an alnico with a bit more handling, like a gold Celestion or Emi Red Fang or Weber blue dog? Best bang for the buck is certainly the A type Celestion though. Martin likes them.
    A type; 
    Neo V: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30887
    Rob,

The 6g3 likes to break up; this might go against your first thoughts but a greenback absolutely rocks in them. Putting the larger wattage C's in just makes them lose that dirt that they provide.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4698

I’ve just put a Neo Creamback in my 5E3 and that’s a nice speaker.  Even though it’s not broken in, much less abrasive top than the G12H 30 it replaced.  
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    Gassage said:
    Rob,

The 6g3 likes to break up; this might go against your first thoughts but a greenback absolutely rocks in them. Putting the larger wattage C's in just makes them lose that dirt that they provide.
    Do I remember rightly you had one? 

Yes, greenback is the tone I suppose I’m after. I just don’t want an off the shelf Chinese one. Maybe a Heritage series if I can find one, or even a vintage one, but they are really hard to find at 8 ohms.

I’m distracting myself with other amps at the moment until I find the right one. Just got a Rivera era Champ II on the bench. That’s quite an interesting little amp!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30887
    Ossyrocks said:
    Gassage said:
    Rob,

Do I remember rightly you had one? 

Yes, greenback is the tone I suppose I’m after. I just don’t want an off the shelf Chinese one. Maybe a Heritage series if I can find one, or even a vintage one, but they are really hard to find at 8 ohms.

I’m distracting myself with other amps at the moment until I find the right one. Just got a Rivera era Champ II on the bench. That’s quite an interesting little amp!
    Yup- if it's Brownface, I've had it!

A Rola shouldn't be too much.....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ljsljs Frets: 56
    I need a 6g3! Anyone want to sell me one? 
  • One of the best Brownface clones a few years back was by Quinn Amps. The guy ended up going under and leaving some unhappy customers, but his amps are still held in high esteem. He used Tone Tubby speakers if I remember correctly.