The IVm or IV minor

What's Hot
dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
edited April 2021 in Theory
Hi guys

i thought I would share this reel from my Instagram.

i was playing around with this idea using the IVm and thought it would be good to share.

Its in the key of E.

Harmonised major scale in 3rds gives you the chords

E F#m G#m A B C#m D#dim 

so the 4 is A. IVm would be Am

There is a question for you at the end. 

YouTube 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10681
    I’ll play. 2ndary dominant
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5401
    There is good and there is bad. 

The good: nice, short, to the point demonstration that provokes thought and makes me want to try stuff out. Good one.

The bad: Instagram. Instagram won't let me view it without logging in. It does offer a "log in with Facebook" and seeing as Facebook owns Instragram, and broadcasts all my personal data anyway, there seems no harm in doing that. That done, Instagram *still* refuses to show the content. I have to make a new account - even though they promised that they'd let me log in via Facebook. And *that* done, the screen display is in portrait mode and very small. 

Summary: love the content, but put it somewhere decent, somewhere where people can watch it without all the bulls**it I just had to wade through.  Youtube, Vimeo, even Facebook at a pinch. 

OK, enough rant. I'm off to noodle some IV minor progressions and see what happens. Thanks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    edited April 2021
    Or for those of us on Instagram, it's....erm.....one click.

Very nice. Think Nobody Does It Better is based on very similar chords.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    Creep
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Tannin said:

The good: nice, short, to the point demonstration that provokes thought and makes me want to try stuff out. Good one.

The bad: Instagram. Instagram won't let me view it without logging in. It does offer a "log in with Facebook" and seeing as Facebook owns Instragram, and broadcasts all my personal data anyway, there seems no harm in doing that. That done, Instagram *still* refuses to show the content. I have to make a new account - even though they promised that they'd let me log in via Facebook. And *that* done, the screen display is in portrait mode and very small. 

Summary: love the content, but put it somewhere decent, somewhere where people can watch it without all the bulls**it I just had to wade through.  Youtube, Vimeo, even Facebook at a pinch. 

OK, enough rant. I'm off to noodle some IV minor progressions and see what happens. Thanks.
    I’ll put it on YouTube if you like and send another link? 
  • viz said:
    I’ll play. 2ndary dominant
    Yeah!  
  • Tannin said:

I’ll put it on YouTube if you like and send another link? 

here is it on YouTube. Would be great to know what you think?
  • kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 182
    When September Ends
    Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice lesson and cool sound borrowing from the parallel minor. For a similar vibe but a bit more mysterious sounding here is a good example using Mixo b6 (Maj I and Min IV) - at around 7mins he shows the modal interchange as contrast with the C note used over the Dm instead of C#.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d20wwTZxOZ8
    edited May 2021
    Nice lesson and cool sound borrowing from the parallel minor. For a similar vibe but a bit more mysterious sounding here is a good example using Mixo b6 (Maj I and Min IV) - at around 7mins he shows the modal interchange as contrast with the C note used over the Dm instead of C#.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d20wwTZxOZ8
    Nice. Whenever I hear the mixb6, or ‘Hindu scale’ as it’s sometimes called, I always hear Rachmaninov’s 3rd piano concerto, 2nd movement, which deploys it in many different keys throughout the piece. 

The first bit is scored as A major (3 sharps) but the F and G have natural signs to achieve the “b6” and “b7”. 

Then at 2:34 it modulates to Db major, which has 5 flats, but he does the same thing, the mixb6, flattening the Bb to a Bbb and the C to a Cb. 

Then at 4:08 he establishes himself in F (without changing the key sig) and plays the same scale on F, except this time because he already has 5 flats, he achieves the mixb6 by naturalising the 2nd and 3rd, instead of flattening the 6th and 7th like he did when in Db. God he was a genius.  

https://youtu.be/Xck9DrAvsX4

Omg, then at 7:45 he goes back to Db, but it’s scored as A again (wtf), so he’s really playing C#, and it’s initially C# phrygian, with its low 2, 3, 6 and 7, and then he moves to the C# mixb6, by sharpening the 2nd and 3rd. At 8:38. 

So at the end he’s playing the same scale as at 2:34 (C# mixb6 vs Db mixb6), but with a totally different key signature. I find that incredible. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Amazing, thanks for posting that piece. John Williams may have had some inspiration from that for both Marions and Leias themes with that - they have that mixolydian b6 vibe also. Very effective in pulling the heart strings.
    edited May 2021
    Amazing, thanks for posting that piece. John Williams may have had some inspiration from that for both Marions and Leias themes with that - they have that mixolydian b6 vibe also. Very effective in pulling the heart strings.

Leia’s has a direct quote from the second theme of Rachmaninov’s 2nd concerto

2:34

https://youtu.be/kS8hk0kL2sE
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1013
    Isn't the Rachmaninov piece the one that the writer of All By Myself completely ripped off? The adagio part
    edited May 2021
    Isn't the Rachmaninov piece the one that the writer of All By Myself completely ripped off? The adagio part
    Ya, a few parts actually. Loads of people have used it and yep, Eric Carmen used Rachmaninov in a number of songs. He was very open about it and wanted to express his love for that music, rather than being a naughty rip-off - as far as I understand it anyway.