Phrygian Dominant V's Super Locrian on a V 7 sharp 5 chord.. ?

KevSKevS Frets: 477
I am maybe getting muddled here as I play by ear and what sounds right,so I may be missing something obvious,,
but have some knowledge of theory..

Sometimes the Phrygian Dominant sounds like the right scale,,sometimes the Super Locrian does..
It really does seem to be one or the other and it is obvious which..

I've obviously worked out I can use diminished 7th aprpeggios from 4 different places..
The major 7th of the one chord when playing over the V7 is an obvious first target which is the Major Third of the V7 chord...
The Augmented triad arpeggio on the V7 chord too and it's inversions,,playing of the Tonic the major third etc...

Is there a reason for the Phrygian Dominant vs Super Locrian,,is there some little rule I don't know about here..
It is obvious to my ear when I hear the music as a whole which one is right..
This usually involves trying both..

I am thinking,,I bet I am missing something embarrassingly simple here..

If we were talking E 7 sharp 5///flat 13..

The Parent Scales would be A Harmonic Minor and F Melodic Minor ascending..

Yes I know you can play whatever you want,,but there must be something here I am missing..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KevSKevS Frets: 477
    Could it be I am playing Super Locrian on 7 Sharp 9 chords and Phrygian Dominant on 7 sharp 5 chords and getting muddled about the actual chord names and using my ear instead..

• vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited April 2021
    On the V chord, both the phryg dom and the super loc will work, obviously, but phryg dom is very much more suitable for a minor key and is much more traditional and classically oriented, because it exclusively uses notes that are in the tonic minor (except for its major 3rd, which is the tonic’s leading note, which works very melodiously anyway); whereas the superloc is much more jazzy and although works for major and minor, suits major better. It’s jazzier because it has so many other notes that are outside the scale, like its minor 3rd which is the minor 7th of the tonic, diminished 5th which is the minor 2nd of the tonic, and its minor 6th which is the minor 3rd of the tonic. All of which aren’t in the major tonic key. Hence the jazzy juiciness. Yet it works. Not sure if that adds anything or helps, coz your question is a little unclear, at least to my tired brain, but there you go!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.