NGD - Koa top RG (GSPBASSES content)

What's Hot
RichardrichardRichardrichard Frets: 353
edited April 2021 in Guitar
I've been working on this concept for a while, as the guitar doesn't exist to buy anywhere that I can tell.

• I wanted an HSS super strat style that could do EVH tones on the bridge humbucker, and flick to positions 4-5, maybe with a volume knob tweak to get SRV tones. 
  • I wanted a non fine tuner Floyd
  • I wanted an oiled roasted birds eye maple neck with ebony board at 12-14" radius and some quite specific measurements for depth/profile etc
  • I wanted an oiled wood body with a fancy top
Thankfully, @GSPBASSES was happy to oblige with a body and neck, and put up with my fussy requirements! Anyway, here she is and she's perfect.

Spec is;

• koa top over roasted ash, all simply tru oiled to a satin - no stain at all
  • Roasted birds eye maple neck with 12" radius ebony board and jumbo frets
  • ASL eruption bridge, Dimarzio Injector in the middle and Dimarzio Heavy Blues 2 in the neck (courtesty of @jonnyscaramanga )
  • Suhr spec treble bleed circuit
  • NFT Floyd Rose
https://imgur.com/gallery/xyBWIc4

0reaction image LOL 31reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BradBrad Frets: 658
    I’m not usually a fan of Super Strats, but that is stunning! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    Looks awesome! Looking forward to hearing it. I think that'll be a good set of pickups for that (though I would say that).
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1946
    I would have gone for a Warwick/Framus like french polish/stain finish on the top in an unusual 80s colour.

Really nice - Looks like something Reb Beach would play :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Looks great!
  • Holy crap, that looks amazing! 
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    That looks awesome! Excellent work that man!
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Damn!!!!! That is amazing, I won't lie
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Lovely!   Really like the headstock design too
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22712
    Oh wow.  Reb Beach meets Guthrie Govan.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That is very nice :) 
    • I wanted an oiled roasted birds eye maple neck with ebony board at 12-14" radius and some quite specific measurements for depth/profile etc
    Being geeky about such things, I'm curious to know the neck profile and measurements!
  • Interesting observations on Reb Beach and Guthrie. The GG Charvel is part of the inspiration really, though I don’t like the neck or the HSH. Reb Beach wasn’t really on my radar but having googled that’s a mighty fine Suhr, albeit still not exactly what I’m after (and £5k!)

re neck spec, it’s a C profile but I asked for a bit more meat in the shoulders, 21-21.5mm at 1st and 23-23.5mm at 12th and a ~42mm nut. Through process of elimination and much trading over the past year I have found this to be my Goldilocks! I was trying to get it as close as possible to my N4.
    edited April 2021
    Thanks for the neck specs, always interesting!  I'd have gone for 2mm thicker all along. 

Before Reb had the Suhr he had an Ibanez signature model in the late '80s, early '90s.  It was a weird shape, but the koa top and sharp horns are quite similar to your guitar.  He kept some of the features for his Suhr, but with a more conventional body shape.

(Edit:  Now that I think about it, he probably had the first Suhr before the Ibanez endorsement.  So the Ibanez Voyager borrowed the Suhr's features, not the other way round.)

1992 Ibanez RBM2 Reb Beach Signature Hawaiian Koa Top RBM2NT Voyager   extremely rare   Music Gear Emporium  Reverb  Ibanez Rare Signature  guitar

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    Nice one
    Don't touch that dial.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339
    tFB Trader
    It’s always good to see one of my guitars in its finished state, that’s tuned out really pretty, I hope it sounds as good as it looks.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Philly_Q said:

(Edit:  Now that I think about it, he probably had the first Suhr before the Ibanez endorsement.  So the Ibanez Voyager borrowed the Suhr's features, not the other way round.)
    That's correct. He bought his first John Suhr build in NYC while Suhr was still working at Rudy Pensa's shop. Solid koa body, solid pao ferro neck is the classic Reb guitar. EMGs to fit in with the time, that's what Luke was using on everything in LA and Beach was an up-and-coming session man on the other coast. It was super important at the time to have an identifiable look, so he drunkenly sketched the Voyager cutout on a cocktail napkin a la the Rhoads Concorde design process and Ibanez ran with it. After Winger were "cancelled" by Beavis and Butthead, Reb ditched Ibanez over tuning issues and went back to the Suhr, putting passive pickups in it to be able to cover Lynch's parts on joining Dokken.

I love love love the look of the Suhr sig and the sound when he plays it, but it doesn't work for me when I do – neither its conventional guise nor as a 24-fret Suhr Modern model. :bawling:
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    That really is a stunning guitar! The oil finish brings the top and grain figure to life, beautiful!
    DLM said:
    I love love love the look of the Suhr sig and the sound when he plays it, but it doesn't work for me when I do – neither its conventional guise nor as a 24-fret Suhr Modern model. :bawling:
    I'm a Reb Beach fan but the Suhr's not really my kind of thing.  I am sometimes tempted to get something with a non-locking Floyd like Richardrichard's guitar, but it would be more like a regular Strat.
  • I expect you'll like my @StormshadowGuitars supertele then! One piece mahogany body, solid pau ferro neck

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
    Loving the look of the guitar and also liking the kitchen too!! (Yes, I’m house hunting so I’m noticing these things. Ha ha)