90s American strat neck lacquer cracking

I've got an american strat in husk form which i got a while back and it has lacquer cracking on the back of the neck. I can feel the cracks if i was to hold it like i was playing but its not sharp or uncomfortabl. I looked up this issue and it doesn't seem to be uncommon on late 90s american strats. I was thinking of sanding it back until i could no longer feel the lacquer cracks and then tru-oiling it? I'm not sure if it will need it or if this is the wrong thing to do so any advice would be appreciated! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    Ah - deja vu!  :)

You are not alone - have a read of this recent thread ...

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Do you have simple, linear expansion/contraction cracks or is the finish coming away in flakes?

The fact that you have not mentioned finish loss on the fingerboard, where it builds up against the frets, suggests that your 'board is rosewood or ebony. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Do you have simple, linear expansion/contraction cracks or is the finish coming away in flakes?

The fact that you have not mentioned finish loss on the fingerboard, where it builds up against the frets, suggests that your 'board is rosewood or ebony. 
    Its a maple board and there are some cracks on there (couple of dot inlays clouded over too), but that doesnt seem to bother me as much as the back as the back seems more pronounced. Its like expansion contraction cracks i'd say, vertical lines ranging from 1-7cm long i'd say. Not excessive but when you go up the neck you can feel it
  • TheModieselTheModiesel Frets: 77
    edited April 2021
    Ah i should have done a search, thank you! Though after looking, mine doesnt seem anywhere near as bad as that, the lacquer isn't lifting or sharp and its more of a mild inconvenience thing which is nagging at me at the moment.