Kraken?
Something else?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Binance. Swissborg.

Bye!

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    Binance, much more variety and easy to use.
    Uniswaps if you want biggest gains but biggest risk.
    Coins that get onto Coinbase will be "made it", so if you can find a coin that isn't on Coinbase and then eventually get on it, you would potentially make 5x or even 50x.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4087
    Blockchain.  Easy and clear to use.
  • I created a binance account, saw the huge number of options and realised I knew nothing about it, so backed off. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2021
    I created a binance account, saw the huge number of options and realised I knew nothing about it, so backed off. 
    It’s basically gambling and right now it’s bull market so lots of people are making money.  I made £200 from £500 then lost £200 in a week, then made £200 again and then lost £80 of that...then car needed fixing so pulled it all out to pay for it. Overall I made about £130 so not all bad.  I still have £100 in OMI which has doubled since I bought it, it was 3x at one point but this one I plan to leave it long term.

Had I left the crypto I held in Binance untouched, I would have doubled my money.  But the day after I took it all out everything dropped 30% and for about a week I was like “phew, I escaped just in time”, and the BTC went all time high, ETH went all time high, BNB went all time high, even Doge did a 3x gain!

ive seen some crypto do a 150% gain in half a day.  Regular stock market do not do a yo-yo like this, it’s a gamble.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I created a binance account, saw the huge number of options and realised I knew nothing about it, so backed off. 
    It’s basically gambling and right now it’s bill market so lots of people are making money.  I made £200 from £500 then lost £200 in a week, then made £200 again and then lost £80 of that...then car needed fixing so pulled it all out to pay for it. Overall I made about £130 so not all bad.  I still have £100 in OMI which has doubled since I bought it, it was 3x at one point but this one I plan to leave it long term.

Had I left the crypto I held in Binance untouched, I would have doubled my money.  But the day after I took it all out everything dropped 30% and for about a week I was like “phew, I escaped just in time”, and the BTC went all time high, ETH went all time high, BNB went all time high, even Doge did a 3x gain!

ive seen some crypto do a 150% gain in half a day.  Regular stock market do not do a yo-yo like this, it’s a gamble.

Exactly - it was updating by the second seemingly, and as it was hard to understand what tangible thing I was investing in, I decided I'd leave it alone. Maybe it'll be an enormous mistake. 
    edited April 2021
    I created a binance account, saw the huge number of options and realised I knew nothing about it, so backed off. 
    It’s basically gambling and right now it’s bill market so lots of people are making money.  I made £200 from £500 then lost £200 in a week, then made £200 again and then lost £80 of that...then car needed fixing so pulled it all out to pay for it. Overall I made about £130 so not all bad.  I still have £100 in OMI which has doubled since I bought it, it was 3x at one point but this one I plan to leave it long term.

Exactly - it was updating by the second seemingly, and as it was hard to understand what tangible thing I was investing in, I decided I'd leave it alone. Maybe it'll be an enormous mistake. 
    I made £200 originally and one morning I stupidly bought one crypto with 3/4 of my fund and then lost £200 in about 2min.  I felt sick....it took a week for me to recover especially with the little amount I was playing with.  Things can change fast, really fast.  People do pump and dump all the time.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16647
    I put a minimum amount on a few currencies on Binance and have just been watching what happens to familiarise myself with it.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    edited April 2021
    Cheers folks.
    I’m using Kraken but find the interface annoying.

Doge is doing well though.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    my mate has made a living trading on spread-betting (etc) on indices, stocks, FX for decades
    every day he is making cash on swing trading as the markets go through patterns that he can accurately predict most of the time
    he won't touch crypto, because it does not have the same kind of patterns, it is very chaotic

typically these investments are done on margins, i.e. you are borrowing cash to make a much larger trade than you have in cash. obviously, if you have £100 but are investing £1000, then if the investment value decreases by 10%, then you have lost your £100. Since crypto is so volatile, it is far more dangerous to invest in it

for normal indices, you can get a 5% margin, so with £100k in the bank you can invest £2m
    Would you bet £2m on bitcoin for example? If is dropped 25% quickly (as it has), you'd lose £500k
    With a private investor account, you'd lose your £100k margin if it dropped that amount
    Many brokers will only let you trade in "professional accounts", which means they can also sue you for the other £400k
    Very scary stuff

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah I’m not doing anything like that, 
    Just a few hundred quid that I wouldn’t otherwise miss.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    been using coinbase and binance for the last year. 
    I have an account on KuCoin but haven't used it in anger yet. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1097
    Out of interest, what are people using for tax calculations?  Cointracker/koinly or other online options? 

You have to be careful because every trade, even one crypto to another, is a tax event.

edited April 2021
    wibble said:
    Out of interest, what are people using for tax calculations?  Cointracker/koinly or other online options? 

You have to be careful because every trade, even one crypto to another, is a tax event.

You get an annual £12,800 tax free capital gains allowance.  It’s a long way before most of us who just dabble a few hundred for fun need to worry yet.

But I am not sure how you calculate tax going from say BTC to ETH because you typically sell BTC into say USDT which is a tether (kinda of) to the US dollar but not 100%, and then into ETH.  USDT is still a crypto.  So when you go from BTC to USDT is a trade into dollar but not and USDT has its own highs and low vs GBP.  It’s not like you are selling a stock into GBP and then buy another stock.  The true number in profit or loss in GBP is only when you cash out.

any case, I have an accountant, I’ll just send her my Binance account history if needs be.
    Just to illustrate how volatile the crypto space is, Doge shoots up every time Elon Musk says something about it.  It’s a meme coin, it’s the poster child on the value of crypto. Where some crypto have things like NFT going for it, Doge doesn’t pretend to be anything else but a meme yet it’s shooting up because Musk made a tweet.  No one else making tweets on it seems to make any difference but Musk, it’s weird.
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    Crypto currency uses an awful lot of energy and helps black market transactions. But I guess its here to stay
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    phil_b said:
    Crypto currency uses an awful lot of energy and helps black market transactions. But I guess its here to stay
    The simple greed of humanity will be the fuel to keep it going.
    Just to illustrate how volatile the crypto space is, Doge shoots up every time Elon Musk says something about it.  It’s a meme coin, it’s the poster child on the value of crypto. Where some crypto have things like NFT going for it, Doge doesn’t pretend to be anything else but a meme yet it’s shooting up because Musk made a tweet.  No one else making tweets on it seems to make any difference but Musk, it’s weird.
    Doge has hit $0.30 now.

phil_b said:
    The simple greed of humanity will be the fuel to keep it going.
    If all goes well, yes. :)
  • You need to do some research. It's not simply "gambling" - that's total BS. There's fundamental analysis, technical analysis, and good ol' due diligence.

Avoid DOGE. It's fundamentals are poor. It has unlimited supply and no market cap. It's a troll coin that is funny at first and I did make a bit of money on it, but it's a pump and dump coin.

Look for projects you believe in. I like AUDIUS, UTRUST, REEF, MATIC, ETH, and UNISWAP.

Crypto is the future of currency, end of story.

I'm currently up about £500. Two weeks ago I lost it all. I just hodl'd through the dips and add to my positions.

Word on the street is that BTC will hit $100K this year. ETH will hit $3000 very soon. Then they will retrace and retest and then re-enter price discovery. The trick is to time it right; sell at a high, buy the dip. Dollar cost average your entries and your exits, and don't ignore profits. Take some back and store it in a tethered stable-coin like USDT or USDC.

I'm not a financial advisor.

Bye!