Telecaster recommendations

What's Hot
TBones55TBones55 Frets: 13
I've been playing a good few years and have never owned a telecaster, but now I really fancy one.

I don't want anything with humbuckers, but other than that am open to suggestions on a budget of between £600 - £1000

Advice gratefully received....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Rocky1991Rocky1991 Frets: 314
    Loads of options, have to be fender?
  • TBones55TBones55 Frets: 13
    Rocky1991 said:
    Loads of options, have to be fender?

Not necessarily but I'm certainly leaning in that direction
  • This looks like a beaut if you're down with the roadworn/relic vibe:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/204788/fs-fender-50s-vintera-road-worn-tele-lake-placid-blue

Also bang in the middle of your budget range too. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    You can't go wrong with most Fender offerings.

Key questions are do you want:
    Maple or Rosewood
    Fret size
    Neck profile
    Neck radius
    Slab body or comfort contours

Based on those questions an answer will fall out. I would have said a second hand AO or AVRI, but the prices have shot up recently so you are probably looking more like a Vintera now.

If you aren't fixed on Fender G&L make good stuff and there is a nice ESP Ron Wood in the classifieds.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    This looks like a beaut if you're down with the roadworn/relic vibe:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/204788/fs-fender-50s-vintera-road-worn-tele-lake-placid-blue

I think road worns are about the sweet spot of price vs quality, plus they aren't all shiny and plasticky looking.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5653
    Saying you want "A Telecaster" is like saying you A pint. Just in the tele family is everything from the insipid lagers, through the fruity stuff, past all the ales and into the heaviest stouts. What suits your taste is going to be hugely personal and you have to taste them for yourself. The exception being that anything our own @MikeS sells is pretty much a safe bet.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    Are you wanting an aged model or with a  new shiny gloss finish

Are you wanting more of a vintage spec'd model or more modern spec'd or indeed signature model

As others have indicated there are numerous options - As a big over view I'd buy used and you'll get more for your money - Either way, you won't get a bad example with that 600/1000 price range, be it from Japan, Mexico or USA 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2304
    Don't rule out G&L - for your budget you should be able to find an American one where someone else has taken the depreciation hit. The quality is superb and the pickups are fantastic. The USA pickups are also on their Tribute (import) line.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6595
    Badger. I mean Baja.

Great all rounder if you can find one. Nice chunky neck, 4 way switch (really useful) S1 switching (way less useful but you don't have to use it) 

I bought one here and took the finish off and truoiled it. Looks and feels great. May be for sale though. 
    If you aren't fixed on Fender G&L make good stuff and there is a nice ESP Ron Wood in the classifieds.
    That esp is spicy, but op said no humbuckers.

Fender personal favourites you could get. 

Brad Paisley Model
    80s mij
    Baja
    That blue one in the classifieds

Non fender
     Gordon Smith classic t (made in UK)
    Tokai
    Old Greco or other mij stuff
    G&l

edited April 2021
    Great shout

Buy that if you don't like it return it

Edit, reading description on the frets. Would probably not go for it now
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    +1 on a Baja.

I was never a Tele person, and bought a Baja a few years ago and it's one of my favourites now. I ditched the S1 switching, but a lot of people like it.

I think it's a good "proper" Tele to give you an idea of what they can do, without having to spend megabucks

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    This looks like a beaut if you're down with the roadworn/relic vibe:

Thanks for that :) - I hear the guy selling that one is a bit of a legend, and quite handsome too :lol:
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1553
    I went through a few before I settled on mine.

If you are amenable to the myriad of neck shape/radius/fret size options then you can virtually take your pick across the better MIM models. If you want a "modern" approach with a simple and solid punchy output, then perhaps think about a second hand Am Standard.

Whilst the post 2012 examples have custom shop designed pickups, my fave is the circa 2010 version - the neck pickup is exceptional.
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 239
    I have a 2006 Mex 72 Thinline going begging. Looking for £550.00.

Pics if you PM me your e mail, It's like new with a Fender gig bag.
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    The Fender MIM Classic 60s ones are really good although haven’t seen many up for sale of late. TheMadMick’s offer is a good ‘un, too.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9166
    I think the main thing to decide is if you want a 50s or 60s style tele and if you know what you want from that it's whether it's the pickups or rosewood vs maple that is attractive.

I'd say a 50s or 60s Baja remains a great bang for your buck. I still think they're the best guitar anyone can buy for under a grand.
    A Brad Paisley is decent with great pickups and super light.
    If you get lucky, the last generation of American Standard had the best pickup combination of CS broadcaster and twisted tele. You should get one under a grand.
  • steersteer Frets: 1160
    edited April 2021
    I like my old standard MIM Fender. Nothing exotic, buts just plays really well. Dont discount the standards.

I guess the answer is to try and play a few, now that shops are opening again.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    Classic Series 50s/69s Teles are great. The (slight) problem I have with the recent Vinteras is that the 60s have Pao Ferro boards and the 50s have alder and not ash bodies. Not a dealbreaker really as they will be great guitars, just not quite as authentic as recent equivalents.