Livin on A Prayer Talkbox on Original Recording

What's Hot
gubblegubble Frets: 1737
Hopefully this is the right section to post this....

I've been having a bash at recording Living on a Prayer at home - I've a talkbox and thought why not ! Turns out it's quite tricky to get the riff just right on a recording rather than just blasting it out down the dog and duck on a saturday night.

I had a look at an isolated guitar/bass recording on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-KgqZ2r8zs and I'm now convinced that the riff with the talkbox on it is simply just one pass that's been looped and brought into the mix when it's needed.

To me it seems to exact each time. I'm sure I can also hear a join of two different takes on the 6th note.

Was this something that would have been possible to do in the mid 80's?

The riff is also 8 notes long and at just shy 0f 21 seconds into that video you can hear the riff being faded in at note 7/8 just before it starts properly.

Has anyone else noticed this before or have i been listening to it too closely and convinced myself of this?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Wow !

In extremis ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    8reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    Lol to the cork pic!

but yes it would have been possible, but to my ear there’s loads of variation in them so I think he just played them all. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    Even in the seventies they had the ability to put drums in drum hit by hit by cutting the tape and splicing it back together, painstaking work but that was studio work.
    By the mid eighties they could put time code on one track of a multtrack and thus link more than one unit ... leading to endless takes which could be compiled into one good take, called comping. The solo on comfortably numb is comped from various takes. This is also probably how that part on living on a prayer was done. 

I used to use a Talkbox when doing that song live but after 4 or 5 gigs I stopped using it, too much hassle and I hated the feeling in my mouth (ooh err missus ) 

Anyway this may help, stems from Guitar Hero 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    If you watch the Black Album documentary A Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica you see some poor sod having to cut Lars' drum tracks together, slicing the tape.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 845
    Listening to that I didn’t hear any repeats, there was lots of subtle variation.
    What amazed me was how ahead of the beat the standard guitar riff sounded! Really driving well ahead.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/