Will I destroy my amp?

ETJCETJC Frets: 25
edited April 2021 in Amps
I know these questions are boring but will a Marshall MG 100hdfx (4ohm) damage my 10 watt (8ohm) Blackstar 10 AE combo speaker if I play very politely? (It's the 100 watts I'm worried about, assume impedance will be ok) 

Or does somebody want to sell me a cheap cab?

Thank you.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589
    The Blackstar uses the 70/80 Celestion rated at 80W. Now, if you were to blow the bllx off that Marshall then yes, I dare say you would wreck it and if it burned out at full chat possibly damage the amp but. Cellies are tough and you would have to be making a g;awful row to put either speaker or amp in danger.

ICBM will no doubt give us his expert view? (I don't know the amp) Be warned though? I don't think he likes the 70/80 a lot!

I shall almost certainly be donating some speakers and a couple of rough ass cabs to deserving causes around late summer. First comers collect.

Dave.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    ETJC said:
    I know these questions are boring but will a Marshall MG 100hdfx (4ohm) damage my 10 watt (8ohm) Blackstar 10 AE combo speaker if I play very politely? (It's the 100 watts I'm worried about, assume impedance will be ok) 
    It's safe. The Blackstar speaker is rated for 80W, and the Marshall won't actually deliver quite 80W even into 8 ohms - the full 100W is only into 4 ohms, it's typically about 70W into 8 ohms - and I think the Blackstar speaker is actually 16 ohm, which limits the Marshall to about 35-40W max.

ecc83 said:

ICBM will no doubt give us his expert view? (I don't know the amp) Be warned though? I don't think he likes the 70/80 a lot!
    That is true :).

But I still don't like blowing speakers. Not even Rocket 50s ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ETJCETJC Frets: 25
    Great. Thanks a lot both of you,

Ed