"It's no use cutting if your knife's not sharp"

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
Nice guitars, very nice tones, nice swampy blues rock tune but the cheesy lyrics ruin the experience for me

But...fair play to Rob for sailing his own ship in the direction he wants under his own steam, he has come a long way for a bedroom YouTuber and is making a living from his passion and appears to enjoy his day job, which is far more than many of us do.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Great tune and riffs, and nice playing.

If I didn't watch the video, I wouldn't have known it was him. Actually dig this!

Lyrics are hard to get right and one man's cheesy is another man's expressive and clever. I find it hard to form an opinion on lyrics...

This makes me want to pick up a slide. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    I love the tone in the solo

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    Apropos of totally nothing they should have shot the video at 60fps and played it back at 30fps. Would look much smoother. He'd have to mime the song at an unnatural speed, but lots of folks do it. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I wasn't expecting the thread title to lead me into the world of Chappers.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited April 2021
    Philly_Q said:
    Some mischievous imagination does grace the forum, albeit on increasingly rare occasions

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    It’s one of those things where the high production value of the track and video puts the terrible lyrics into even starker relief...just ends up like a David Brent video. Brilliantly orchestrated nonsense.

Would probably come across way better in a straightforward live video, ironically.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited April 2021
    Philly_Q said:
    Some mischievous imagination does grace the forum, albeit on increasingly rare occasions
    I wouldn't have gone to a Chappers thread just to slag him off.... but since I do find myself here, albeit only through Alice-like curiosity, I feel justified in opining that his song's a load of tosh.

I find it unnerving that his singing voice is so much like his speaking voice.  No reason why he shouldn't sound like himself, but it's hardly ever the case in pop and rock music.   Yes, there is something very David Brent about it.

His band name's bloody awful too.  It sounds like it came from one of those things that ask you a couple of questions then tell you what your name would be if you were on Game of Thrones or Rupaul's Drag Race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9447
    Lewy said:
    It’s one of those things where the high production value of the track and video puts the terrible lyrics into even starker relief...just ends up like a David Brent video. Brilliantly orchestrated nonsense.

Would probably come across way better in a straightforward live video, ironically.
    I agree.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
    GREEEEEEEEEEEEEETINGS!
    Philly_Q said:
    I find it unnerving that his singing voice is so much like his speaking voice.  No reason why he shouldn't sound like himself, but it's hardly ever the case in pop and rock music.  
    That I fully applaud him for. I’m sick to death of these posh little kids who open their mouths to sing and deliver this ghastly caricature of an urban black accent. I don’t really like his voice but full marks for doing something authentic to himself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 431
    I like it much more than I don't, if that makes sense?
    JCA2550 said:
    I like it much more than I don't, if that makes sense?
    Is that a line from the second verse?
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Not for me. I’m just judging this on it’s own merits. To my ears it sounds very, very, very American influenced. And it’s got that chugging rhythm going on which turns me right off.
    And it’s not very original. Sounds like it could’ve been made by any number of people about 40 yrs ago.
    Video’s well edited though.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16013
    Lewy said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I find it unnerving that his singing voice is so much like his speaking voice.  No reason why he shouldn't sound like himself, but it's hardly ever the case in pop and rock music.  
    That I fully applaud him for. I’m sick to death of these posh little kids who open their mouths to sing and deliver this ghastly caricature of an urban black accent. I don’t really like his voice but full marks for doing something authentic to himself.
    Oh my days Bro'
    Music is fine
    The Chapstick is fine
    The Video is shit
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1316
    edited April 2021
    AlexC said:
    Not for me. I’m just judging this on it’s own merits. To my ears it sounds very, very, very American influenced. And it’s got that chugging rhythm going on which turns me right off.
    And it’s not very original. Sounds like it could’ve been made by any number of people about 40 yrs ago.
    Video’s well edited though.
    Same for me , don't get me wrong he is an amazing player but you look at Noel Gallagher, he probably knows 10% of the fretboard to what Chappers knows yet he can write a song with a 3 chords and hook that gets worldwide acclaim and sells millions.
    I guess its better to be a good songwriter with limited knowledge than be a wizard player with average songwriting , to me its 80's cheese rock with poor lyrics.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    No.
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    I dig the tune itself (very Sons of Anarchy esque!) but the cringiest part by far is the video itself, surely??

Don't get me wrong it's well shot and edited but the whole setup of him with an unplugged guitar, miming and singing heavily processed vocals in a forest is, well... cheesy AF.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16013
    Yes, I like Chapstick but the video only lacks a wind machine ...........it's just awful
  • MikkiMcMurdererMikkiMcMurderer Frets: 352
    edited April 2021
    That's Rob  Halford surely....
    https://images.app.goo.gl/LVooiKFdYhp9HMed9
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I intend to stop laughing before I injure myself.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom