Another What Amp Thread?

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
in Amps tFB Trader
My powestage has just gone pop.

I'm going to try and get it repaired but I don't really want to be reliant on my GT-1000 through a power amp all the time.

Previously I've used a Jet City and an Origin as a home amp and also a power amp via the gt-1000 / helix.

I have a cab and an attenuator but I'd consider a combo for simplicity.

The blues cube artist on the classifieds is probably the sensible option. For fun and sillyness I guess a DSL 20 or a 6505 MH might also be good options.

Thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    edited April 2021
    What sort of sounds do you want? DSL20HR will do a good impression of most Marshall sounds, it can be dialled in to sound pretty close to the Studio Classic 800. Just got to keep the gain low. See Johan Segeborns video comparison of the DSL20CR to his 1987x, a lot of the sounds are pretty close to my ear. I seem to recall people on the Marshall forum saying the FX return works well for amplifying modellers too so could be a win win for you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    TTBZ said:
    What sort of sounds do you want? DSL20HR will do a good impression of most Marshall sounds, it can be dialled in to sound pretty close to the Studio Classic 800. Just got to keep the gain low. See Johan Segeborns video comparison of the DSL20CR to his 1987x, a lot of the sounds are pretty close to my ear. I seem to recall people on the Marshall forum saying the FX return works well for amplifying modellers too so could be a win win for you.

Mostly zeppelin type gain, but up to evh / metalica and some capacity for cleans would be handy.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657

The blues cube artist on the classifieds is probably the sensible option.

I owned a Blues Cube Stage for a while and it really was a sweet sounding amp. Nice sounds and weighed less than a yoghurt pot. Mine developed a fault but I suspect I was unlucky - Roland/Boss products are normally pretty reliable.

(I replaced it with a Blackstar Studio 10 which is also a decent home amp, and which would probably cope with small venue gigs with a tame drummer.)
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    tFB Trader
    I'd blow the budget on a Tonemaster Deluxe if they had an FX loop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    How about something a bit left-field? The Yerasov Black Space seems to be designed for your usage.

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2591
    I'm already a Quilter fan so I may be biased but the new Aviator Cub looks like a stonking option to me.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited April 2021

The blues cube artist on the classifieds is probably the sensible option...

Thoughts?
     When I gigged I used an HRD IV, plus Blues Cube Artist which was on the opposite side of the stage.  I've compared them side by side. 

I prefer the HRD IV for the clean sound and as a pedal platform. It has more body. But the Blues Cube is good and light and certainly adequate.

I don't use the OD sound on either amp as I prefer to use pedals. But, just using the amp, I much  prefer the Blues Cube OD sound.

It's not a competition.
    tFB Trader
    Few shops have got great deals on the DSL40CR

Quite tempting as apparently they work well at low volume.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    The 40 is great too, my thoughts on it are same as the 20 but it's just more versatile with the crunch mode on the Vintage Gain channel. If my band ever gets into gigging and I find 20w isn't enough any more I've been thinking I'd just get the DSL40 and turn it into a head.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    I’m tempered to grab a fender champion 100 to use its 2x12 cab and power amp using something like a pod go or headrush gigboard into the effects loop. 
    The fender seems a cheap way to get access to a 2x12 power amp. 
  • I’m still happy with my Bluguitar amp 1 will cover anything you through at it, has attenuator and easy to carry 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    tFB Trader
    I’m still happy with my Bluguitar amp 1 will cover anything you through at it, has attenuator and easy to carry 

I think the amp1 counts as my most hated amp.

I tried one at the guitar show and thought it was brilliant so I bought one as soon as they were available.

My band (who generally didn't give a monkeys about guitar sound) all complained that it souded terrible and also the MIDI didn't work.
    It went back quite quickly.

I've bought a DSL40CR which wouldn't traditionally be an amp I would have gone for so we shall see how I get on with that.
  • I’m still happy with my Bluguitar amp 1 will cover anything you through at it, has attenuator and easy to carry 

I think the amp1 counts as my most hated amp.

I tried one at the guitar show and thought it was brilliant so I bought one as soon as they were available.

My band (who generally didn't give a monkeys about guitar sound) all complained that it souded terrible and also the MIDI didn't work.
    It went back quite quickly.

I've bought a DSL40CR which wouldn't traditionally be an amp I would have gone for so we shall see how I get on with that.
    Each to his own, I respect that. I love mine! Can’t comment on the midi thing I gave that up when I stopped using racks
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • What's your budget? A Suhr PT15 might be worth considering if you can stretch to it.
    tFB Trader
    What's your budget? A Suhr PT15 might be worth considering if you can stretch to it.

I've bought a DSL now.
  • A DSL20? Looks like a lot of amp for the money.
    tFB Trader
    A DSL20? Looks like a lot of amp for the money.

A DSL40CR it's a boat load of amp for the money, almost like a mini JVM with 5 channels and MIDI. Even has a half decent clean sound and non crap reverb!