Cheap Telecaster pickups on Ebay - Worth it ?

What's Hot

Has anyone got experience with the cheaper telecaster Alnico V pickup sets on ebay ( warman , Wilkinson , Vanson etc)  

, they  seem great value at around for £30 for the pair. 

Only looking for a couple decent sets to refurbish a couple of Fender Japan projects,   I am looking to  sell them on so do not want to invest too much .

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    Generally, I find the budget A5 pickups functional but with room for improvement. Any of the brands you mention would suffice for helping to shift your MIJ Fenders but add no kudos. 

For a few quid more, Alegree Old Timer series pickups might add value - not least because he offers several magnet type variations.

Another route to low cost, appropriate parts is the Parts £ section of this very forum. There should be plenty of pre-owned T style pickups listed.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7813
    Treat yourself, get something great, not ok. 
    Heck, you could wait for one of Oil City’s pickups sales, and her a fantastic set for a bargain price.  
    Save up, spoil yourself.  
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4720
    TheMarlin said:
    Heck, you could wait for one of Oil City’s pickups sales, and her a fantastic set for a bargain price.  
    Save up, spoil yourself.  
    Because it's a project that he's selling on, I don't think he wants something that costs a lot more. I'm sure it would likely be different if these were going to be keepers. ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Voxman said:
    TheMarlin said:
    Save up, spoil yourself.  
    Because it's a project that he's selling on, I don't think he wants something that costs a lot more. I'm sure it would likely be different if these were going to be keepers. ;)
    Yes that's right, if it was a keeper I would put in a decent set (got some antiquities and Joe bardens waiting for the right guitar) but don't want yo spend too much as I won't get it back  when I come to sell. 
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 421
    I have a set of Wilkinsons in one of my Teles and they're great at any price, done a very short comparison with my favourite ever Tele pickup's - SD Alnico II Pros - here on Instagram a while back:

• rossirossi Frets: 1703
    Toneriders are fine as many on the TDPRI site will agree with so for me they are the bottom line default .They are a  given .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Tbh, if you are flogging it, leave the Fender Japan pickups in. Some mad buggers prefer them to be original... 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    Tbh, if you are flogging it, leave the Fender Japan pickups in. Some mad buggers prefer them to be original... 
    Sadly the pickups are long gone , the previous owner had some handwound pickups installed in both and wanted to keep them for his next guitar ( and a backup set ) so sold the guitars without pickups .  

Will take a punt a cheap set and leave it to the new owner to decide to upgrade , I think even a cheaper set are an upgrade over the originals which I think were the bar magnet type from what the previous owner told me .
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2270
    Good to use the UK winders if you can. 

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2319
    I've had a few sets of Vanson pickups before -  They were really good..

For a bit more I'd always recommend Tonerider Hot classics or the vintage ones they do.  Absolutely cracking pickups and I've had pickups from pretty much all the big names.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks, currently bidding on a couple of sets of tonerider pickups.