Storing used strings

What's Hot
Alright wondering if this is madness or not.
Put a set of low tensions on my classical but thinking of changing to titanium strings for brightness, anyone store strings that aren't that old?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I keep strings if they're re-usable. I mostly end up using them if I break one while working on a guitar, it saves replacing the whole set or having one string much brighter-sounding than the others.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• GTCGTC Frets: 261
    Like ICBM, if they are in good condition, might have a future use and of a long enough usable length then I'll keep them. They might come in useful for a future experiment or in an emergency.

You have to be a bit more careful in removing though.

Personally, I'm a great fan of the D'Addario Titanium nylon trebles. I find them a little warmer than carbons whilst still being nice and bright.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23944
    I keep mine in a poster tube with a couple of packs of silica gel in there. I use a velcro cable tie at both ends to keep them together as a set.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    I keep old strings too. It started as a hang over from the days when I couldn't easily afford a new set, and needed something to fall back on if a string snapped. More recently I've found a use old strings when setting up a guitar, frequently de-tuning to adjust the truss rod or saddle then re-tuning to check. Unlike @fretmeister I'm not that concerned about preservation. I coil each set up, and hang a few coils from a hook in the workshop.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ZonularZonular Frets: 62
    GTC said:
    Like ICBM, if they are in good condition, might have a future use and of a long enough usable length then I'll keep them. They might come in useful for a future experiment or in an emergency.

You have to be a bit more careful in removing though.

Personally, I'm a great fan of the D'Addario Titanium nylon trebles. I find them a little warmer than carbons whilst still being nice and bright.
    Changing from the pro Arte low tensions to the titanium trebles is actually my plan. I just need to mark the strings 
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Can’t be arsed with it, straight into the scrap 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5268
    It is probably easier with classical strings. I always keep a few sets of used-but-playable strings around for just-in-case, but often find that they snap when I try to re-fit them.

I do find used (steel) strings very useful around the house for a variety of tasks. My favourite use is feeding the quolls - I drill a hole in a bit of wallaby tail and use an old guitar string to attach it to a short post. The quolls love chewing on it (of course - what wild animal doesn't love a free feed?) and because they can't run away with it, each one of them gets a bit of a turn. After dinner at night I turn an outside light on and sit by the window playing guitar and watching their antics. In the morning, there is just a bone on the end of the string.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I've not changed strings for years so when I do they'll be going in the bin.