Anyone own a fully electric car?

What's Hot
relic245relic245 Frets: 959
My wife is going to buy a fully electric car.

Just wondered if anyone has any first hand experience?

She is looking for something biggish and is prepared to invest in the right car. We are testing cars from pretty much every price point. 

Hyundai
Kia
Vw
Audi
Jaguar
Tesla

Just curious on any experience. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Rich31kRich31k Frets: 787
    We have a Hyundai Ionic on lease (seem £200 a month is the going rate for 8k pa). It’s far nicer to drive than our ICE car. It just feels less stressful. 

It arrived just before the first lockdown, so we’ve only driven it around 2,000 miles, but we know that our next car will be all electric. We won’t go back to ICE unless finances require it. 

Range on ours is 170-200 miles or so depending on driving style. We’re going to try to take it on holiday (250 mile drive) so will see how that goes with charging midway. 

The boot isn’t very big - some space is taken up by the battery. And it can’t take a roof rack or tow for bikes (as far as I’m aware). But it fits two child seats in the back with plenty of legroom in the front. 

Next one will be a longer range (300+ miles) and able to carry bicycles. That’ll be ideal for us. 

My neighbour’s son rates his Tesla very highly. He has two child seats in the back too, but I don’t think access to the back seats is quite as good as ours. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    A family member has the Kia E Niro. 

Dull looking car IMO but fab range and pretty comfy. 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3964
    I don’t have one but have ordered many in my job. The Kona and Tesla Model 3 have been the most popular and very well received. The VW ID.3 and Skoda Enyaq are more recent contenders worth looking at.
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    I have the Peugeot e-2008.

I like it.
    It's a great drive and it actually took the fun out of driving my Mazda 6 that was until now the most fun car I had.
    It doesn't has a big range but it's more than enough for our needs. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6146
    I just got a new Ioniq Electric this week (leased). I normally buy used, but found the second-hand market has very little choice at a <£10k budget at the moment. 

Anyhoo, the car is super competent. Quiet, fuss-free driving and even the self-driving features are quite useful - I was skeptical of them at first. I'm getting a regular 5m/kWh economy - even without trying hard. I'm way down in BHP from previous cars (to 136bhp from 250-280bhp), but that doesn't fuss me at all, as the torque availability is good. A step or two down in luxury, too, after 6 years of driving a Lexus. But it's fine - just harder plastics and less soundproofing.

So many toys, but does lack his-n-hers climate control. We'll see if Ms Goldtop and I fall out over that this Summer.

I recommend Bjorn Nyland's YT channel for some real-world testing (in a colder environment than we get in the UK, too). It was his videos on the Ioniq's efficiency that sold me. He's got some great Tesla ownership videos, too.

(One thing: bear in mind that some recent Korean cars are affected by a big battery recall that will be rolling out in the next few months.)
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 336
    I have a Jaguar iPace and came from a BMW 5 series. The quality and ride is equal, although i wouldn’t trust it beyond 200 miles per charge (manufacturer says a lot more). Thankfully, very rarely do more than this round trip so not too much of an issue.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    Someone I do work for has an Audi E-Tron. Real world range is 134 miles....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4627
    VW should go to their back catalogue. The old VW bus would make a great electric platform.
    Large flat floor for the batteries, engine at the back.
    Obviously update to modern safety standards.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1555
    Drive an i3, absolutely love it. Range depends on lots of factors but can get 170 when full if the aircon stays off. About 150 otherwise.
  • VW should go to their back catalogue. The old VW bus would make a great electric platform.
    Weren’t they touting a concept of that very vehicle a couple of years ago?
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 959
    Tried the ionic yesterday. Pretty good and very well specced.

Tbh, much better than I was expecting.

Going to the other end of the spectrum today. Starting with the Audi etron follows by the VW ID4
  • chotu495chotu495 Frets: 356
    Vw ID3 here. Easy 220 mile range, likely more as the weather warms up a bit.

Great car. Did a 330 mile round trip yesterday. One hour to charge at destination via 50kwh charger and it was ready for the return leg,

Lots of 50kwh and faster chargers now popping up. Get Zapmap for your phone  :)

Range dips a bit at sustained speeds of over 75mph. Just drive at the speed limit and its fine.

220m for about £10 of electricity when charging at home.
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    Jota said:

I like it.
    It's a great drive and it actually took the fun out of driving my Mazda 6 that was until now the most fun car I had.
    Interested to know more about the Peugeot. I can get a reasonably good deal through work but haven't driven one (any EV actually).

Are you saying it's fun to drive?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    VW should go to their back catalogue. The old VW bus would make a great electric platform.
    Weren’t they touting a concept of that very vehicle a couple of years ago?
    Yes. I don't know how far it got. The problem with electric vans/ camper vans is that they are poor at the things you want them to be good at: distance and payload. 
    I watched a YouTube video about someone fitting out an old Beetle with a Tesla engine and that becomes a car that's great in urban driving but goes like shit off a shovel if you get the chance. But even the comments on that said it would probably be someone's second car. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Jota said:

I like it.
    Interested to know more about the Peugeot. I can get a reasonably good deal through work but haven't driven one (any EV actually).

I’ve had the e-208 for about 10 months now and it’s a lot of fun to drive. I love it and wouldn’t got back to ice car. Was getting 200+ miles in warmer weather. Dropped off to around 160/170 during the winter months. Still very economical to use. Making the initial leap is the hard part. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    Jota said:

I like it.

It is. But I believe you could say that about any EV.
    Hadn't had the need for long trips but I'll have to do a bit of planning if I want to take it when that time comes. 
    Last weekend I spent out would have been impossible because there were not many chargers on the places I went to but, after almost a year, things are changing around here (I'm in Portugal) and I believe they're even better on the UK.
    With my Mazda 6 I did almost 900km just on that weekend and that would probably need 4 charges with the Peugeot. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    ID Buzz. Due out next year or possibly 2023 I think.

https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/en/electric-vans/id-buzz.html

An electric 4WD MPV that does 0-60 in 5 seconds!

I really want one, but I doubt I can in any way justify or afford it. But I now do seriously think that may next car will be electric, and I may have to accept going to the leasing model... I'm still hoping to get another few years out of my old Renault Scenic, and to be honest I won't even be able to justify anything that big once the kids have grown up, so perhaps by then things will have changed enough to get something smaller (and cooler ;) ) for the same sort of price I normally pay for a car.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• relic245relic245 Frets: 959
    So far, the ionoq is a bit Small for what we need.

The ID4 is lovely and a very competent car. The Audi blew it out of the water though in terms of feeling like a luxury car. It is a serious step up in cash though.

Will be interesting when the new Skoda hits the streets in 6 weeks ish. If it's anything like other Skoda's then the top of the range is often better than a mid priced VW and much less money.

So Tesla test drive booked for early may. I think the jaguar will probably get a test too.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited April 2021
    The Citroen E-C4 looks interesting, around £23K list price for the base model, £26K with all the software and sensors bells and whistles.

https://www.citroen.co.uk/models/new-c4-e-c4.html

Our next car will be 'leccy, going to run our 2 diesels into the ground over next 3-4 years and then see what's around for a retirement car, should be a bigger choice by then and hopefully new battery tech that can get up to the magical "tank of fuel" 300-350 mile range.

• LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 908
    Whatever you do, lease!