Lazy J10 with a Marshall Powerbrake

What's Hot
bloomerbloomer Frets: 208
Would a powerbrake give decent results with a Lazy j10? Which attenuators, reactive loads etc. work well with tweedy circuits? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    It would probably be OK, but my experience is that resistive Airbrake-type ones work best with lower-powered tweed Fender-type circuits.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11445
    I'd get Jesse to fit power scaling.  I've got it on my J20, and to my ears it's a big improvement on the Weber Minimass attenuator I had before.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30864
    Well, I managed to set fire to a Dr Z Lite with a J40.....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    crunchman said:
    I'd get Jesse to fit power scaling.  I've got it on my J20, and to my ears it's a big improvement on the Weber Minimass attenuator I had before.
    I'm not a fan of either of them to be honest!

Gassage said:
    Well, I managed to set fire to a Dr Z Lite with a J40.....
    That's because the supposed 45W rating is extremely optimistic - at least if that means the rated power of the amp, rather than the actual electrical power. Looking at the resistors inside and the lack of any actual heatsinking - it relies purely on convection from the resistors themselves - I would say realistically about half that, ie 45W electrical power, or a cranked 25W amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• russpmrusspm Frets: 438
    bloomer said:
    Would a powerbrake give decent results with a Lazy j10? Which attenuators, reactive loads etc. work well with tweedy circuits? 
    The Fryette PS2 works brilliantly with my Lazy J 20. It doesn't impact on the tremolo like the VAC does when cranked.

• skayskay Frets: 392
    @bloomer Do you have a Lazy J10 that doesn't have the VAC built in? I thought they all come with that as standard spec?

Or are you enquiring about using an attenuator alongside the built-in VAC, as this has worked well for me using the master volume plus an attenuator on my AC30 to get decent home-level volume distortion from the amp, well, better than just using either of them by themselves anyway.

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3812
    I found the Swart Night Light worked well with my Lazy J20. I've still got it somewhere if you want it.