Cheap headphones to use with amp modellers

What's Hot
Looking for some relatively inexpensive (sub £50ish) headphones to use when playing guitar through modellers and the Vox Amplugs and stuff.

What do people recommend?
Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ZonularZonular Frets: 62
    Thomann superlux semi open headphones, are great
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gretschthumpergretschthumper Frets: 89
    edited April 2021
    I use Presonus HD7s, £38 from Amazon, having said that the superlux (hd681) look exactly the same and are £27.99 from Amazon 
  • Sitting here looking at a pair of HD681s sitting on the desk in front of me, I can only concur!
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    Samson SR850

I can highly recommend 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31501
    Sitting here looking at a pair of HD681s sitting on the desk in front of me, I can only concur!
    Me too, very happy with mine. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10396
    Not that cheap at around £55 but the Xbox headset  type HS50 ones from Corsair are perfect for the job. Very comfy, good isolation and their non flat frequency response is flattering to the guitar. The mic unclips

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited April 2021
    I prefer the sound of my Grado SR80's but I often just use JVC HA S160 Flats. They're small, lightweight and comfortable and more suited to wearing for long periods. They cost just over a tenner from Amazon.

It's not a competition.
  • 77ric77ric Frets: 539
    AKG 240 mkii open back, £50 on amazon. Great sounding headphones for multiple purposes including for use with modellers. And comfortable to boot. 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    AKG K702 would get my vote. If you want to spend a little less and want really good isolation, Sennheiser HD280 Pro.
  • Bidley said:
    AKG K702 would get my vote. If you want to spend a little less and want really good isolation, Sennheiser HD280 Pro.
    I'm curious about which element of '(sub £50ish)' in the OP caused the comprehension difficulty.
    This isn't TGP!
  • Thanks, gone with the Superluxs based on everyones feedback
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Bidley said:
    I'm curious about which element of '(sub £50ish)' in the OP caused the comprehension difficulty.
    This isn't TGP!

The only thing I'm having difficulty comprehending is your attitude @Sleepyscholar ; - I skimmed the OP and if my suggestion wasn't helpful, then OP is free to ignore.
  • Bidley said:
    Bidley said:
    This isn't TGP!

The only thing I'm having difficulty comprehending is your attitude @Sleepyscholar ; - I skimmed the OP and if my suggestion wasn't helpful, then OP is free to ignore.
    My attitude was snarky. Yes: guilty as charged, though I think most would find that reaction at least comprehensible in the circumstances, if not justified.

You are right that the OP is free to ignore unhelpful suggestions. That much is obvious (actually the OP is also free to ignore helpful suggestions, though on this occasion chose not to). Similarly, you are free to ignore snarky comments about how you ignored what the OP was actually asking. Or was it the snark I directed at the Gear Page that was more upsetting?
    Bidley said:
    Bidley said:
    This isn't TGP!

My attitude was snarky. Yes: guilty as charged, though I think most would find that reaction at least comprehensible in the circumstances, if not justified.

You are right that the OP is free to ignore unhelpful suggestions. That much is obvious (actually the OP is also free to ignore helpful suggestions, though on this occasion chose not to). Similarly, you are free to ignore snarky comments about how you ignored what the OP was actually asking. Or was it the snark I directed at the Gear Page that was more upsetting?

I'm just baffled as to why you seem so keen to pick a fight over my missing the budget specified by the OP - you're free to ignore that as well you know. Are headphones over £50 that upsetting? Or is it a slow day at the office?
  • I wasn't picking a fight. As I said, I was snarky. Not something to be proud of, I agree.* I genuinely thought that you had not read the OP carefully. I could have pointed this out in a patient, sympathetic tone. But I unwisely chose to be snarky.

If people being snarky makes you want to fight, then might I humbly suggest that the problem might lie as much, or more, with you, as with me?

*Coincidentally, you can't be that averse to snark, since you deploy it in your most recent message. And more to the point, if one is going to profess to be baffled by it, this is The Fretboard. Am I alone in seeing bucketloads of snark every time I visit? Am I hallucinating WiresDreamDisasters' posts?

And to @YellowLedBetterMan: Good choice on the Superluxes, and my apologies for provoking a tiff on your thread.
    I wasn't picking a fight. As I said, I was snarky. Not something to be proud of, I agree.* I genuinely thought that you had not read the OP carefully. I could have pointed this out in a patient, sympathetic tone. But I unwisely chose to be snarky.

If people being snarky makes you want to fight, then might I humbly suggest that the problem might lie as much, or more, with you, as with me?

*Coincidentally, you can't be that averse to snark, since you deploy it in your most recent message. And more to the point, if one is going to profess to be baffled by it, this is The Fretboard. Am I alone in seeing bucketloads of snark every time I visit? Am I hallucinating WiresDreamDisasters' posts?

You kind of were picking a fight - I posted something trying to genuinely be helpful, and you responded on someone else's behalf with an unecessary dig, which baffled me. I'm still baffled by it. You seem to be very upset that I didn't let your unnecessary attitude slide.

If you're trying to point the finger at me for getting snarky, you only have yourself to blame - I only answered in kind. If you're trying to point the finger at the forum or @WiresDreamDisasters (oddly) then I don't know how to help you.
  • I was just in the bath, and I was thinking before reading your post that you got upset because you were just trying to be helpful, and some twerp comes along and takes a dig at you. And as you said, you didn't understand it. So the least I can do is explain.

The Fretboard contains all sorts. Some have multiple Les Pauls hanging on their wall. Some just have one relatively cheap guitar. There's room for everybody. In my case, I have a few cheap guitars, a couple of cheap amps, and a bunch of pedals, mostly second-hand. I have four pairs of headphones, the most expensive of which are Sony MDR-7506 (about 85 quid). When I saw this thread I thought that it was unusual to have a thread to which I can actually contribute some of my cheapskate knowledge. I recommended the Superlux phones, not the MDR-7506s. I think the latter are marginally better than the Superluxes, but I thought it would be rude to recommend something outside the mentioned budget. 

Why? Well, here's an example. Imagine I post a thread saying that I want to get a decent guitar for a reasonable price, and I'm thinking of a Pacifica or a Revstar. Someone rocks up and posts, telling me not to bother with that Japanese shite, but to get a good old Gibson Les Paul R9 instead. How do you think I feel? The point about this is that not only is it rude for not addressing the question, but it feels like disdain for the low budget.

Obviously this is an exaggerated example to make the point. All the same, when the OP made a point of specifying a budget, you weighed in with two suggestions, the cheapest of which was double the specified budget. As I've noted at the head of this post, I recognise that you did so in good faith, trying to be helpful. But did it not occur to you that this could be taken as a knock against the low budget? Don't you think it might have been tactful to add 'I know this is more than you said, but if you can stretch your budget the AKGs really are worth the difference' or some such, to show the OP the basic respect of demonstrating that you had paid attention to the post? Your subsequent posts have expressed your bafflement, and as the above should have demonstrated, I mistakenly did not realise that this could be so baffling once pointed out. But I am now explaining in the hope that it will clear up the bafflement. You consider my dig 'unnecessary'. Well, clearly it is to you, although by your own admission you don't understand it. But there is a reason behind it, and I hope now that I have explained it to you, you will at least no longer be baffled, even if you do not accept it as a valid reason.

In the areas in which I am prepared to spend a bit of money (I recently got a limited edition bottle of Tomatin for a little over 200 quid), I am careful not to be snobbish in my recommendations to those who want something for less money than I'm prepared to pay (I have happily recommended VAT69, to be honest, which I once mistook for Balvenie in a blind tasting). In this case I clearly went too far in imposing such scruples on you.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    If anyone wants a fight, I'll take you all on!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    If you don't mind in-ears, KZs are great.
    I love my ES4 set. Also have a KZN Pro set that is sturdier and sounds a bit more "modern" and had a ZS10 set that had more drivers but sounded weird to me! The stereo separation was very odd!
  • Sassafras said:
    If anyone wants a fight, I'll take you all on!
    You and whose army? ... he says, running rapidly in the opposite direction!