Pricing wise - How much do Gibson SG specials go for now ?

What's Hot
I thought I might buy myself an SG, looking at the special as it's a little cheaper, they seem to have gone up a lot used though, since the last time I had one.

Am I looking around £600 for one used ? 
Are there any alternative brands I should look out for, I've looked at he Tokai's but wondered how the Epiphones rate these days, or if there are other brands to check out.

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    Am I looking around £600 for one used ? 
    I hope not! 

The Special spec is a bit penny pinching in ways that detract from the playability. i.e. Naff machineheads, skimping on detailed fettling.

£450 would be my top figure for original, unmolested in the official gigbag.

£600 is the low end of a well-used Standard. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 883
    edited April 2021
    Ok cool. I was going off some eBay pricing. I remember getting a special for 450, hopefully one will turn up at that price. Any other brand suggestions ?

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294
    A few years ago that price would be realistic but I think they've gone up a bit, although you may strike it lucky on the bay, can still throw up some surprises, I'd say add £100 on to your estimate 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    It depends on the Special. Some of the gloss finished ones from the early 90s are actually just as good as a Standard, imho. The lack of binding on the neck is a plus for me as I can’t stand bound necks... and the lighter machine heads mean they balance better on the strap.

Some of the faded/satin ones can look a bit cheap and feel a bit rough but offer good value.

As for values - a gloss is worth stumping up a bit more for. I wouldn’t part with mine for all the money in the world. I’ve owned a Standard... not any more. 

Final thing, as with all Gibsons they are so changeable you may need to play a few to find one you really like. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31501
    I paid around £550 for a scruffy 2004 ebony board special a few months ago, if you see one for significantly less than that these days I'd be surprised.

Cheaper spec aside, it's the best SG I've ever played, well balanced, rock solid tuning, no dead spots, good chunky neck and a lively sound. 

You can pay double for a whippy, toneless, top heavy Std which looks more "Angus" if you like, but I wouldn't swap. 
  • impmann said:
    It depends on the Special. Some of the gloss finished ones from the early 90s are actually just as good as a Standard, imho. The lack of binding on the neck is a plus for me as I can’t stand bound necks... and the lighter machine heads mean they balance better on the strap.

Some of the faded/satin ones can look a bit cheap and feel a bit rough but offer good value.

As for values - a gloss is worth stumping up a bit more for. I wouldn’t part with mine for all the money in the world. I’ve owned a Standard... not any more. 

Final thing, as with all Gibsons they are so changeable you may need to play a few to find one you really like. 
    Thanks great advice, I do see a lot of the faded ones. Will look out for the gloss

• p90fool said:
    I paid around £550 for a scruffy 2004 ebony board special a few months ago, if you see one for significantly less than that these days I'd be surprised.

Cheaper spec aside, it's the best SG I've ever played, well balanced, rock solid tuning, no dead spots, good chunky neck and a lively sound. 

You can pay double for a whippy, toneless, top heavy Std which looks more "Angus" if you like, but I wouldn't swap. 
    550 is doable, and would be ok if it wasn't pristine, will keep a look out on ebay. 

Although I was almost trigger happy on an Epi earlier

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    impmann said:
    It was the satin Faded variant that I had in mind. I briefly had custody of one during 2020. I traded it to HarrySeven last October.

p90fool said:
    well balanced, rock solid tuning, no dead spots, good chunky neck and a lively sound. 
    I concur with every word of that. Tuning depends on nut slot condition.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    If you're interested in the Faded ones, be aware that they have a chunky neck. I loved the sound of mine but couldn't gel with the neck so had to move it on. If the neck size works for you though, they're great.