Restoring an old console - N64

What's Hot
WezVWezV Frets: 16647
My girlfriend still has her old N64 from 1997.  Yesterday we were going to use it to play through Ocarina of Time, but it started crashing every few minutes.   We blew out all the slots and cleaned all the grills, but still couldn't get it stable 

Thankfully we were able to get it running on the gamecube instead and spent the next 16 hours completing the game... but she really wants to get the N64 working again properly.

Does anyone have any experience fixing up old consoles, or know of anywhere it can be serviced?

She has quite a collection of old consoles, so it probably won't be the last to start showing issues.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    Probably needs recapping. If you're handy with a soldering iron, there are plenty of YouTube examples.
  • Did you take the expansion pak out and clean it?
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3134
    edited April 2021 tFB Trader
    I've done a few before, there are recap kits available online and just be careful with the soldering iron.

I also fitted a HDMI output to one but it's really not worth it if I'm honest, they look better plugged into an old TV.

EDIT: If your one is crashing, replace the voltage regulator
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• WezVWezV Frets: 16647
    Did you take the expansion pak out and clean it?
    Done that.  It only has an aftermarket one,   the original is long gone.

RiftAmps said:
    I've done a few before, there are recap kits available online and just be careful with the soldering iron.

I also fitted a HDMI output to one but it's really not worth it if I'm honest, they look better plugged into an old TV.
    I might look to recap then.   She wouldn't want to upgrade anyway.

Tbh, I was happier on gamecube as it looks better on a 50" TV,  but thats heresy to her :)
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    I've nothing to contribute on fixing it, however I just have to say how much I loved that game. I even bought the GameCube in order to play it again! Absolutely brilliant
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • A good spray of a contact cleaner can work wonders on the cartridge edge connector elements.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    edited April 2021
    The minute they release a remaster of the Ocarina of time for the Switch, I’m buying one. 
    I'm hoping for Majora's mask at some point, need the N64 working again for that at the moment
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    joneve said:
    The minute they release a remaster of the Ocarina of time for the Switch, I’m buying one. 
    Me too.  Not sure it'll happen though.  The anniversary (35 years?) seemed the ideal time to do it but all we are getting is skyward sword.

No idea why Nintendo seem so reluctant to do it. I think a bundle similar to the mario 3d all-star release would have sold ridiculously well.  Ocarina of time, majora's mask and wind waker? Nah, clearly no-one is interested in playing them again.
  • RedRabbit said:
    joneve said:
    Me too.  Not sure it'll happen though.  The anniversary (35 years?) seemed the ideal time to do it but all we are getting is skyward sword.

No idea why Nintendo seem so reluctant to do it. I think a bundle similar to the mario 3d all-star release would have sold ridiculously well.  Ocarina of time, majora's mask and wind waker? Nah, clearly no-one is interested in playing them again.
    ive started Twilight Princess on Gamecube but really struggling to get into it, not a patch on Wind Waker IMO
    The good thing about getting the Gamecube out is Windwaker is now ready to play again.  She also has a copy of Twilight Princess for Gamecube, so it gives us Ocarina, Master Quest, Windwaker and Twilight all on one machine

Makes me wonder if its worth getting the collectors edition for Gamecube which would add , Legend of Zelda, Link, and Majora

Breath of the Wild and Skyward Sword can then be on Switch

Found a couple of old DS's when going through the games boxes too
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    RedRabbit said:
    joneve said:

ive started Twilight Princess on Gamecube but really struggling to get into it, not a patch on Wind Waker IMO
    I had Twilight Princess on wii - can't remember how far I got but I didn't really get into it.

Wind Waker was my first Zelda game.  One of my housemates at uni got a gamecube after we finished our final year exams.  He didn't like Wind Waker so left me to play through it.  Managed to complete it the morning my brother came to pick me up to move back home.

I've been holding out for Nintendo to do a remaster but I think I might as well just download Dolphin.
    I was similar with Ocarina, played it on a mates console at Uni and took up 3 months of my life.  It was odd to work through it all in 16 hours this weekend.... think half of that was the bloody water temple

I didn't want to like windwaker as it looked so childish, but its a beautiful game... really makes the cell shaded graphics work
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    It's an unpopular opinion, but I really like Twilight Princess. It starts off slowly and has it's issues, but I like the atmosphere of the game. 
  • Gamecube.. windwaker, yep.. great game that unfolds.

nothing wrong with Twilight Princess.  My son has the special game cube / wii editions of the zelda games.

I love link to the past on SNES too and the old gameboy zelda with the egg on top of the pyramid.

• horsehorse Frets: 1568
    I hadn't realised until the last year that an old Wii can be "updated" to run N64 and GameCube ROMs from an SD card (and other emulators too). I've been playing some windwaker for the first time during the third lockdown. Never did finish ocarina back in the day, but certainly spent a lot more than 16 hours on it!
  • maraudermarauder Frets: 133
    Nintendo already did the HD remasters of Windwaker and Twilight Princess, on the Wii U.  Get one, hack it, worth every penny.
    Bit dusty inside

This is under the cartridge slot

I cleaned it up with rubbing alcohol and q tips, seems much more stable now. 
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    WezV said:
    Bit dusty inside

This is under the cartridge slot

I cleaned it up with rubbing alcohol and q tips, seems much more stable now. 

So that's what 25 years of dirt looks like :smile: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    so... essentially you just needed to blow really hard on the whole console
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom