Potential break away European super football league

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14226
in Off Topic tFB Trader
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56794673

Talk for a while about such a league for a few 'elite' clubs - Not sure all fans from such clubs would agree to such a potential league - Interesting that the German clubs would most likely not participate due to 'part fan ownership' and PSG not wishing to participate

Obviously FIFA and UEFA are against a potential new super league which I dare say would be a franchise operation like many USA teams in various sports

A) - I don't think it should happen and don't want it to happen

B) - If it does then there needs to swift 'punishment' to all concerned within the whole structure of the appropriate teams

Players who play for an elite club can no longer be picked for their country - ever again 
No players from such clubs, at any age group,  can be loaned out to other clubs in the appropriate domestic leagues
Clubs can't play in their appropriate domestic competitions - league or cup
All previous honours removed from domestic + UEFA history books
Elite clubs wanting to sign players from the 'domestic' leagues will have to pay an additional 'FA/UEFA' tax that will be shared to clubs at a lower level and/or grass root level for additional funding in the appropriate leagues/country
Players wanting to leave an elite club and come back to domestic football will be banned for 12 months before they can re-sign - be it domestic, China, USA
Some form of transfer policy that will mean players wishing to move from an 'elite club' back to domestic league and there will be no transfer fee from the domestic league club to the elite club - In many ways players will have to wait until the contract finishes at an elite club then a form of Bosman ruling applies - But no funds to be sent from domestic level to elite level 
Elite clubs will still need to operate their business/play matches at their home ground - They can't play without police support, so make sure additional funds are required to be paid for such services inc ambulance etc 
No manager/trainer/physio/support staff including appropriate 'executive staff' who wish to leave an elite club, can come back to a domestic club until they have served say a 24 month ban - Even maybe a life time ban 

UEFA/FIFA and appropriate FA etc have to use what power they have and stamp out any benefits they can to the appropriate elite clubs

Pure greed 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6798
    edited April 2021
    I hope it doesn’t happen, and I’m embarrassed that my club is involved. We are crap and need to rebuild so won’t be in Europe next year unless we win the Europa and that is how football should be.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14226
    tFB Trader
    I know the PL created a 'new league' by breaking away from the FA 30 odd years ago - I know UEFA/FIFA is corrupt and it is not fair for all concerned at all levels - But we still have the likes of Bournemouth able to break into the top flight and play the big teams - We still get the odd surprise and Leicester win the title and Wigan win the cup - So it is not currently an elite only at all cost operation as we look at it today - But a new 'supa league' is pure greed - Let them have it if they want it - But make sure their are repercussions for all concerned, players, owners etc etc 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Add to this - If an 'elite clubs' wants to resign and come back to a 'domestic league' they can but they start at the bottom - The Scottish league can punish Rangers - So European leagues can do like wise 
    tFB Trader
    Current rich 'elite' owners, can no longer own/part own, or later day try and buy any interest in any club in a domestic league - Either as an up front individual, or a company, via a 'shell account' in a tax haven - Any future ownership deals have to be seen to be transparent - In fact a German style ownership would be a better option anyway 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    Gary Neville's rant after the match was beautiful.

Even though I am a supporter of one the big teams, the pyramid is what makes English football what it is. 

I think the EPL should punish the teams involved, be it relegation, European football bans, or a huge financial ban to go towards grass root football. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11294
    I can't see it happening.

At the moment leading players can be involved in any number of domestic club competitions, whichever Eurpoean club competition their club has qualified for and can play fo rtheir country in friendly and competitive internationals.

Are they going to chuck all of that over for a super league and nothing else? And with the likelihood of no sort of FFP limits on spending will things only be won by clubs backed by sovereign wealth funds? Once they've played in the suprduper league and are no longer good enough or if they fall out of favour will they be allowed back into the non-superduper domestic leagues again?

It's asking a lot for players who, as we Spurs fans are continually told, want to win trophies, put all their eggs in a one-trophy basket.

I suspect that this will lead to the lesser clubs being barred from the Champions League so that more games will be more competitive. This may be the end for the likes of Dinamo Plop and a widening of the gulf between the haves and have-nots.
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    This is an old idea that seems to keep cropping up now and again. I believe the reformatting of the European Cup to the Campions league was in part inspired by this and was UEFA's way of keeping it in their control
    tFB Trader

Even though I am a supporter of one the big teams, the pyramid is what makes English football what it is. 

I think the EPL should punish the teams involved, be it relegation, European football bans, or a huge financial ban to go towards grass root football. 
    Just seen GN's rant - excellent - Agree with him, in that if it appears that the appropriate clubs have indeed signed a letter of intent, to join a super league, that even if they now back out of that league and that in itself  might have legal implications for such clubs, but they still be punished by the PL and FIFA 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2283
    Disgusting greed.  Killing football. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11294

He probably wouldn't give up his media work for it but he strikes me as someone who might do some good as chairman of the FA.
  • gumbothewiddlergumbothewiddler Frets: 327
    edited April 2021
    This type of proposal will sadly keep rearing its head whilst the football ownership model remains as it is and the financial advantage of regular European competition to their business models. 

That said, if it did go ahead (which I doubt)  it would be quite amusing watching the humiliation of certain teams finishing bottom of a league for the first time.....
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    edited April 2021

Just seen GN's rant - excellent - Agree with him, in that if it appears that the appropriate clubs have indeed signed a letter of intent, to join a super league, that even if they now back out of that league and that in itself  might have legal implications for such clubs, but they still be punished by the PL and FIFA 
    I found the rant online

It's worth watching, even if you hate him he makes some great points. 

Football at the top can be quite predictable at the best of times, the upsets eg Bristol beating Man United in the cup a few years back, unexpected promotions and relegations are what makes it exciting./

You're a Leeds fan @guitars4you right?  I imagine the promotion must have felt all the sweeter after years of being run really terribly.  The lows make the highs all the more enjoyable.

Football's oligarchs and Americans are destroying all that is beautiful about the game. 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    Been a Man United fan all my life. Until today. If this happens I'm done with the club. 

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    25pts deduction to all of them.  If they want to leave the league, why trying to win the one they are in?
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    Add to this - If an 'elite clubs' wants to resign and come back to a 'domestic league' they can but they start at the bottom - The Scottish league can punish Rangers - So European leagues can do like wise 
    Rangers weren't "punished". The club were liquidated and the new one (rightly) started at the bottom.

A European Super League can fuck right off. The big teams would be nothing without the small teams.

Plus, if you bring in a super league how well will the supporters of the likes of Man Utd handle perpetually finishing behind Barcelona, Madrid, Munich every year? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7125
    Couldnt stand G Neville as a player but he hasnt put a foot wrong since hanging up his boots
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    Rangers weren't "punished". The club were liquidated and the new one (rightly) started at the bottom.

A European Super League can fuck right off. The big teams would be nothing without the small teams.

Plus, if you bring in a super league how well will the supporters of the likes of Man Utd handle perpetually finishing behind Barcelona, Madrid, Munich every year? 
    There is no glory winning such a league that you didn't get in on merit.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Can't see it going anywhere. As a Man U fan I'd be pretty disappointed if they left the PL to join that garbage. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9531
    Its fantastic news for British football... get our game back, and remove the rich cats hold on everything.

Their big failure, and arrogance, is that the average fan is intersted in Euorpean football; they are not. Only the top 6 fans are, as a rule.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    I'd like those teams to leave so it removes a tonne of glory supporters and then refreshes things for the genuine. 

I think the concern would be PL teams getting bought thereafter (e.g. Newcastle), which will lead to the same issue.

You have to watch Scottish football to see a proper tackle in the UK nowadays. Needs a reform that includes VAR.