Cycling jacket sizes

What's Hot
jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12306
edited April 2021 in Off Topic
In the charity shop yesterday bought a Castelli Rosso Corsa windstopper softshell cycling jacket brand new for£9.99 size XXL got it home and oh dear, in real terms this is at best  about a medium, i look like a frigggin sausage wrapped in a childs coat. What is it with these sizings? Now I realise why they are "pro" wear, designed for friggin 8 stone athletes. Fits my 15yr old son so used him to model it for ebay pics.

Ebay here we come!
"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5466
    It sounds like an Italian brand? I had the same problem with an Energie leather jacket I bought online years ago, size Large but being Italian it was more like a Small.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    In the charity shop yesterday bought a Castelli Rosso Corsa windstopper softshell cycling jacket brand new for£9.99 size XXL got it home and oh dear, in real terms this is at best  about a medium, i look like a frigggin sausage wrapped in a childs coat. What is it with these sizings? Now I realise why they are "pro" wear, designed for friggin 8 stone athletes. Fits my 15yr old son so used him to model it for ebay pics.

Ebay here we come!
    A majority of amateur cyclists do. 

It always amuses me seeing the chaps on their £8k, 7kg bikes with probably at least 7kg of extra timber of their own.

Seems to be a bit of a male phenomenon as you never see women doing the same.  

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1556
    edited April 2021
    CHRISB50 said:

It always amuses me seeing the chaps on their £8k, 7kg bikes with probably at least 7kg of extra timber of their own.

What about guys with 10k guitar collections who can’t string more than a few basic chords and riffs together????

Back on topic, cycling gear is definitely sized small as a rule. Those not built like whippets need to browse the xl section!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Aren't they supposed to fit like sausage skins to be more aerodynamic?
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12306
    Sassafras said:
    Aren't they supposed to fit like sausage skins to be more aerodynamic?
    Yeah, I think so, they just leave very little to the imagination. When something is that snug, if you ain't ripped then it just looks disappointing all round really
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9606
    Italian brands (and Swiss brand Assos) have always been “buy one size larger” than uk brands like Endura, Lusso or Wiggle’s DHB.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Actually, I've always found road jerseys to be far too large, though the last one I bought was in the 1990's...

But yes, it's always amused me how much folk will shell out to lose a few grams off the bike when I've never seen a club cyclist who couldn't afford to lose a few pounds.   It didn't matter back in the days when we just wore a bloody big black coat but lycra is very unforgiving.

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    CHRISB50 said:

What about guys with 10k guitar collections who can’t string more than a few basic chords and riffs together????

Back on topic, cycling gear is definitely sized small as a rule. Those not built like whippets need to browse the xl section!
    Not as amusing to me personally, but again, I’d imagine mainly a male thing. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Neill said:
    Actually, I've always found road jerseys to be far too large, though the last one I bought was in the 1990's...

But yes, it's always amused me how much folk will shell out to lose a few grams off the bike when I've never seen a club cyclist who couldn't afford to lose a few pounds.   It didn't matter back in the days when we just wore a bloody big black coat but lycra is very unforgiving.

Hmm

I am still overweight, despite my recent weight loss (110 kg to 95kg) but I still have a carbon MTB bike and it is still worth it.

As my weight has decreased I get more benefit from it, but It's also probably a 4kg weight saving overall, so still reasonably significant in it's own right. 

Now, if we look at shaving a few grams here or there on race spec gear on a decent bike, then yes, probably not the best use of your cash - especially if you are overweight as you are likely putting more strain on less strain resistant gear.

• 77ric77ric Frets: 539
    Yep roadies gear is always sized to the slim fit side. Mountain bikers gear much less so. 

It does get comical when you see non serious (ie they don’t compete in races every weekend) who have clearly splashed the cash to shave a few hundred grams, when having a shit before hand will save just as much and be cheaper. Of course that applies less so when if comes to saving weight on your wheels, where you might have to have 2 shits to gain the equivalent benefit. 
  • BowksBowks Frets: 414
    Yes they are tight, but they are also designed to fit in a riding position, so they do feel tight across the chst when stood up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    77ric said:
    Yep roadies gear is always sized to the slim fit side. Mountain bikers gear much less so. 

It does get comical when you see non serious (ie they don’t compete in races every weekend) who have clearly splashed the cash to shave a few hundred grams, when having a shit before hand will save just as much and be cheaper. Of course that applies less so when if comes to saving weight on your wheels, where you might have to have 2 shits to gain the equivalent benefit. 
    Yep, that used to be the drill, try and have a good crap before the start of the race.  The problem is when you have 60 guys all sharing one village hall toilet.  

A young lad once asked me if it was true that you needed a strong stomach to be a good bike rider.  By that he meant strong stomach muscles, but I said sure and you'll find out why when you do your first proper race. 
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1238
    Roadie sizing generally comes in two variations.

Race fit, which means it's sized to be tight, and club fit, which is sized to be less tight.

Italian stuff is always a bit slimmer. You really need to look at sizing charts before buying.
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1577
    77ric said:

That's never going to work for me - I couldn't really give 2 sh1ts about where I finish.. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom