emails from ebay.

rogdrogd Frets: 1513
I know that ebay are changing their Paypal rules.
I have received some emails supposedly from ebay asking me to update my account and wanting me to give my bank details.
These emails are not in the usual ebay format.
Does anyone know if these are genuine.
Thanks
Roger.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    edited April 2021
    rogd said:
    I have received some emails supposedly from ebay asking me to update my account and wanting me to give my bank details.
    Thanks
    Roger.

There are genuine emails from Ebay, but there might be chancers phishing as well.

If you aren't going to sell, then it doesn't matter as far as I can see.  If you are selling, it's my understanding that they will take their fees from your bank account going forwards.

It makes it harder to do cash on collection now.  They have baked their payment fee, that used to go to Paypal, into the final value fee, which has gone up to 12.8% instead of 10%.  You can no longer avoid that extra 2.8% by doing cash on collection.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5616
    edited April 2021
    I had some similar emails from eBay and had the same suspicions as yourself.

If you have the eBay app, use it.  Go to your messages from within the app and the same content should be there from which you can follow any links to update your account.  I suppose you could do the same from within eBay by logging in on via interweb and it should afford you the same peace of mind.

I figured that was safer than accepting the email was from eBay when it might be a phishing attempt.  I'm pretty sure it wasn't but I tend to disregard any email asking me to input bank details.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    rogd said:
    Thanks
    Roger.
    Of course not.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7014
    tFB Trader
    I was initially suspicious but it worked out for me. I used a £1 deal and that's all it cost  Sale price less the pound was transferred to my bank account a couple of days after the sale.

It does make sales more straightforward with PayPal out of the picture.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5405
    I was initially suspicious but it worked out for me. I used a £1 deal and that's all it cost  Sale price less the pound was transferred to my bank account a couple of days after the sale.

It does make sales more straightforward with PayPal out of the picture.
    Until you sell something using the Global Shipping Programme or sell directly to a foreign buyer or sell to a U.K. based buyer with an eBay account registered on any other eBay site other than .co.uk - then hello “international fee”! 3.8% iirc added to the bottom of the bill. 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4167
    edited April 2021
    The safest way with these things is to check via the official channels, as @Haych said. If it's eBay, open a browser and log on to eBay that way. Same for your bank, or insurance, or any other online tool.  Never click the links in the email, or ring any numbers written in there either.

There are so many phishing scams about and they're better than they used to be. The old emails could be smelt a mile off, but the toolkits the scammers are using now make the emails look very polished.
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1513
    Thanks all.
    Roger.