Stuff on amps no one wants

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
in Amps tFB Trader
I've been pondering what I'm calling a "midlife crisis" rock amp and it's interesting to see how many amps have a set of features which users and reviewers consistently say they don't want.

A few which spring to mind:
  • Insane levels of gain on the drive channel - Rabea mentioned 2 is more gain than he can use on an EVH
  • Scoop switches - Every YT review of a DSL hits the tone shift says "oh that's horrible" and turns it off
  • 2 channel amps with sparkle clean and mega gain channels and not much between
  • Non switchable emulated line outputs - Thanks, but now I can't use my own IRs!
  • 8" speakers on small valve amps - They always make amps sound shit even if they would sound good with a 12" or even a 10"
One which might just be just me is switchable FX loops. I've never really seen the point of this as pedals have switches. I suppose if you want to stick your delay on top of your amp and just have the amp foot switch on top of the amp.

Any more?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    There are forms of metal that do want all the gain. Especially in the colder forests of northern Europe.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    There are forms of metal that do want all the gain. Especially in the colder forests of northern Europe.

I dunno. 

Some of these amps just go into smushy oversaturated mush and not even in a good sweedish chainsaw kind of a way.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33792
    The rectifier switching on a Mesa Dual Rec or Fender Prosonic.

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5735
    For me, everything after volume and tone. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    Crap speakers.

Why? OK, I know, it's to save money. But why do so many companies cripple a perfectly decent amp for the sake of a few pounds more for something that doesn't sound weedy and flat - especially when it may be compared in a shop to other companies' amps which may well have a much better one, even if it's the overused and not always appropriate V30. Brand A's amp with a V30 will wipe the floor with Brand B's equivalent with a Seventy/80 or some OEM piece of junk, even if Brand B's amp actually sounds better when they're both put through the same cabinet.

More technically...

Valve monitoring and auto-biasing systems. Completely unnecessary - valve amps have worked just fine for the best part of a hundred years without lumbering them with solid-state circuitry based on tiny components which instantly self-destruct if a valve happens to short in a particular way and feed hundreds of volts into it - often making the amp very difficult to repair (even if you just want to bypass all this crap, sometimes), and in some cases making even quite large and relatively expensive amps an economic write-off.

By all means fit external bias indicator LEDs and trimmers, these do genuinely make biasing your amp a piece of cake even for people who have no technical skills and are an aid to servicing and reliability, but beyond that the curve goes rapidly in the opposite direction and adding more complexity does more harm than good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Crap speakers.

Why? OK, I know, it's to save money. But why do so many companies cripple a perfectly decent amp for the sake of a few pounds more for something that doesn't sound weedy and flat - especially when it may be compared in a shop to other companies' amps which may well have a much better one, even if it's the overused and not always appropriate V30. Brand A's amp with a V30 will wipe the floor with Brand B's equivalent with a Seventy/80 or some OEM piece of junk, even if Brand B's amp actually sounds better when they're both put through the same cabinet.
    more complexity does more harm than good.

Yep, totally agree on this and nearly included it on my list.

One of the reasons I ruled out the DSL 20 was the 70/80 which meant the 40 with the decent V type worked out about the same price once you had factored in the speaker change required.
  • DaiganzenDaiganzen Frets: 101
    ICBM said:
    Crap speakers.

More technically...

Valve monitoring and auto-biasing systems. Completely unnecessary - valve amps have worked just fine for the best part of a hundred years without lumbering them with solid-state circuitry based on tiny components which instantly self-destruct if a valve happens to short in a particular way and feed hundreds of volts into it - often making the amp very difficult to repair (even if you just want to bypass all this crap, sometimes), and in some cases making even quite large and relatively expensive amps an economic write-off.

By all means fit external bias indicator LEDs and trimmers, these do genuinely make biasing your amp a piece of cake even for people who have no technical skills and are an aid to servicing and reliability, but beyond that the curve goes rapidly in the opposite direction and adding more complexity does more harm than good.
    I cannot agree more that a good speaker/ a well matched speaker is the way to go. The origin 20 Combo suffers from this.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Closed backs. They smother all the nice stuff.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    Daiganzen said:

I cannot agree more that a good speaker/ a well matched speaker is the way to go. The origin 20 Combo suffers from this.
    I really can't understand why they did that - the 10" V-Type isn't absolutely dreadful, but it's not at all great... the amp as supplied is weak-sounding and boxy, despite being easily large and already heavy enough to justify a 12" speaker. It's almost as if they deliberately intended it to be underwhelming. Just why? *Any* 12" - probably even including the awful Rocket 50 - would have been better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    Interesting. I picked up the Origin vertical 2x12 that was for sale on the forum recently at what I thought was a very nice price to pair with my O20H. I knew it had 70/80s in it and was already thinking of emptying the G12H-30 out of my MJW 1x12 and buying another of the same or maybe a greenback to go with it. But actually I was pleasantly surprised. 

Now: I haven't run the amp at anything above loud TV volumes and that will likely change my opinion. And I don;t have a sophisticated/discerning ear. 

Anyway, just thought I'd mention that. As you were...

B)  

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3536
    There's a special place in hell for the 70/80..
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    The Rivera I used to own, had a "ninja boost" foot switch function which was a clean boost for solos. Except you couldn't dial the exact level in.

I'm generally not a fan of dip switches and overly complicated options- partly due to option paralysis on my part.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    DrJazzTap said:
    The Rivera I used to own, had a "ninja boost" foot switch function which was a clean boost for solos. Except you couldn't dial the exact level in.

I'm generally not a fan of dip switches and overly complicated options- partly due to option paralysis on my part.

Yeah it applies to pedals and amps. Fixed million decibel boosts that are totally unusable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Not really important, sonically, but carry handles positioned aesthetically rather than for practical/weight distribution reasons.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • Pint glasses!
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
    Clean and mega gain can work if the clean takes OD pedals nicely!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3838
    A badge saying 'Katana'.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Standby switches.
    Bright cap in Fender amps.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2350
    Reverb that isn’t foot-switchable. 

Every Fender Hot Rod range ever, I’m looking at you. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom