Maxon u3000 equivalent

I've got a set of Maxon U-3000s which were originally in my 1976 Greco EGC1000, but which are currently living in my Vintage VS6 while I strip and refinish the Greco.

They are hands down the best sounding humbuckers I've ever heard, and the problem is that I'm now reluctant to take them out of the vintage because they just sound so good together. I'm going to need to either track down another set (for either the Greco or the Vintage) or find an equivalent to put in the Greco when it's all shiny any new.

Does anyone have any experience with these pickups and/or could recommend a set which would have a similar sound?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72309
    @OilCityPickups do Maxon replicas.

I’d put the originals back in the Greco and the repros in the Vintage, personally.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    @OilCityPickups do Maxon replicas.

I’d put the originals back in the Greco and the repros in the Vintage, personally.
    That's great news, though I should have guessed really - the answer to any question on this forum about pickups is invariably 'OilCityPickups'!

I know what you mean - it does feel like sacrilege not to have the genuine 'vintage' pickups in the 'vintage' guitar, but since I've already committed treason by removing the original 70s finish why not go the whole hog? It also feels less indulgent to spend the money on the greco pickups than on the Vintage. First World problems, eh? It'll take me years to complete the refinish so I'll have plenty of time to consider...