Vince Gill - He Don't Deserve You Anymore

jim_crossjim_cross Frets: 18
edited April 2021 in Technique
I stumbled across this track today with a great classic country solo. I can figure most of it out except the half bar of chord melody/triple stops at 1:42-1:43. Is anyone able to figure out that half bar? It's driving me insane!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    jim_cross said:
    I stumbled across this track today with a great classic country solo. I can figure most of it out except the half bar of chord melody/triple stops at 1:42-1:43. Is anyone able to figure out that half bar? It's driving me insane!
    I'm sure you'd get some help if you could post a link to the track?
  • jim_crossjim_cross Frets: 18
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    That's ace. Paul Franklin is not too shabby on the steel guitar either!
    edited April 2021
    OK @Jim-cross, I think I might have it.

Key of F. The phrase I believe you mean starts at the first fret with the lead-in notes C, D, F with the C-D being a hammer-on.

Then (at 1:42) I would start with 2nd, 3rd and 4th fingers fretting strings 1, 2 and 3 at the 3rd fret , i.e. Bb, D and G. Immediately bend all three strings up almost a semi-tone to start the phrase (1). Then release the bend back to pick the Bb, D and G notes for the second stage of the phrase (2). Then to the F triad A, C, F using 2nd finger on the 3rd string and first finger barring the 2nd and first strings (3). Finish the phrase with the F triad F, A, C on the 4th, 3rd and 2nd strings (4).

Then comes the single-note phrase on the second and first strings: C (hammer-on to) D, F, D then sliding up to the double-stop F (6th fret) and A (5th fret).

I use a thumb pick so I play that 1:42 - 1:43 phrase with the 1st, 2nd and 3rd fingers of my picking hand. Picking the notes simultaneously as triads.

I've no idea how to post tab on here so I hope you can follow my description. Give it a try and see if it sounds right to you. Let me know what you think.

I've not heard that Vince Gill album before and I have to say it's a cracker.
  • jim_crossjim_cross Frets: 18
    Thanks @Jimbro66! You've nailed the bit I couldn't get, which is the Bb, D, G unison bend. I think I tried just about everything except that! 
    After releasing the bend I think he bars the first fret string 3 and 2, playing the G# and C, hammers on to the 2nd fret 3rd string (A), then picks the 3rd fret 4th string (F).
    Then pick the F on the 4th string, slide up to the double stop (4th string fret 7, 2nd string fret 6), then up again to 10th fret on the 4th and 2nd strings, then walks the double stops back down to the 7th and 6th frets.

It is indeed a great album!
    I'm glad it worked. Hammering on from the G# to A is something I do naturally but I couldn't hear that and it felt unnatural to play the straight A. My hearing is not what it once was after years of loud stage volume :D 

I didn't pay much attention to what happened after the mystery phrase so I'll follow your sequence just out of interest.