edited May 2021 in Theory
Following on from this discussion...

C# in the bass with a C, E and G triad.

Given that C# is the root we then have:

C - major 7
E - minor 3
G - flat 5

So C#minMa7b5 or C#mMa7b5

Of course, it's more practical to say C over C# or C/C#, but this kind of thing is a great source of differences of opinion...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    edited May 2021
    A C major with a b9. It's a diminished chord init

Generally it would also have a Bb, so C7b9.

It also can't have both a C# and a C in terms of being musically correct, so that's a C and a Db.

Also - since it's diminished, you could also think of it as 3 other chords if you do choose to have the Db as the root, it could also be Edim or Gdim or Bbdim

What you decide upon would probably depend on what it resolves to - what follows this chord?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2411
    Depends on context doesn't it? I can imagine it functioning as some sort of rootless A dominant seventh in some situations. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    Stuckfast said:
    Depends on context doesn't it? I can imagine it functioning as some sort of rootless A dominant seventh in some situations. 

+1

You probably also need to know what exact notes are there in what order
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171
    edited May 2021
    No context, just those 4 notes with C# being the root. This is an ambient piece with just one chord...

> You probably also need to know what exact notes are there in what order

• ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    edited May 2021
    @Philtre has stated that C♯ is the Root Note, so this has to remain unchanged. In the other Thread that @Philtre alluded to, I put forward a concept of flexible thinking that I call Musical Mental Gymnastics, which I think very much applies here.

As a consequence of C♯ remaining, C needs to become B♯. Leave E and G unchanged.
    This gives you C♯. E. G. B♯.  C♯dim/maj7. An unusual, but perfectly feasible chord.

However, if G becomes F♯♯, then you have C♯. E. B♯. F♯♯. The chord being C♯min/maj7add♯11.

Carry on and turn E into D♯♯. You now have C♯. B♯. D♯♯. F♯♯. The chord being C♯maj7add♯9♯11(no third)

Given that @Philtre has shown the position of the notes on the piano above, and the fact that the chord has an ambient nature, I suspect the last chord is the most likely one, as chords without a Third have a undefined sound to them because they are neither Major nor Minor. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2021
    Good points @ArchtopDave

There's clearly more than one way to name a chord. In this case I would simply write C/C# (C major over C# pedal note) or C/Db.

There's a transcription of Frank Zappa's "Zoot Allures" guitar part transcribed by Guthrie Govan where there are regular triads with a different root note like this one and Govan names them C#/D, B/E, D/G and so on. See https://www.afka.net/Mags/Guitar_Techniques.htm

Edit:

I like @ArchtopDave 's idea here:
    As a consequence of C♯ remaining, C needs to become B♯. Leave E and G unchanged.
    This gives you C♯. E. G. B♯.  C♯dim/maj7. An unusual, but perfectly feasible chord.
    If we take just the C#, E and G we do indeed get a C#dim which only leaves us with the C natural (or B#) which we can bung on at the end.
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited May 2021
    I like the term musical mental gymnastics - thanks Archtop Dave! And in honour of your username, one musical mental gymnastics move that I like on this chord is in an A->D cadence, from A(alt) add5 to Dm.

So it’d be an A chord in 1st inversion, with a 5th and a 7th; it also has a minor 3rd, the C. (the altered scale contains both the major 3rd and the minor 3rd, although the major 3rd is actually a diminished 4th but fuck that. Oh and the proper altered scale doesn’t have a perfect 5th but fuck that too). And on the way to the Dm, you woul ... sod it, here’s a vid:

https://youtu.be/o_Wa4wubddA

Prize for the person who spotted me misnaming the C
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    @viz Fine effort for making an actual video, well done that man! I can see where you're going with that and, as others have said, the context can define the nature of the chord. So you're going for an A dominant thingy into a D minor via a Bb note onto the A note of the D minor chord. OK, why not?
    Philtre said:
    @viz Fine effort for making an actual video, well done that man! I can see where you're going with that and, as others have said, the context can define the nature of the chord. So you're going for an A dominant thingy into a D minor via a Bb note onto the A note of the D minor chord. OK, why not?
    Cheers :) and why not indeed, like I think Stuckfast also eluded to.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    Somebody else's turn now to come up with a new challenge in....Name that Chord!
    edited May 2021
    76766x

B D# A C# F

I call it the Lately chord, it's a sort of sub for an Fdom7 before a Bb. But what actually is it?! 3:31 here:

edited May 2021
    viz said:
    76766x

B D# A C# F
    You could call it a B9b5 but the notes form part of a whole tone scale - A - B - C# - D# - F - so it feels like it should resolve onto something else.

edited May 2021
    Philtre said:
    viz said:
    76766x

B D# A C# F
    You could call it a B9b5 but the notes form part of a whole tone scale - A - B - C# - D# - F - so it feels like it should resolve onto something else.

Oooh yes, I never noticed it's an anagram of a tone scale! In the context of Lately it's a sort of F7(alt) with a minor 6th, but it's all over a bass B note which is what causes the tri-tone substitution, but it's so oddly stacked and there are notes added and missing (for example it lacks the F in the root and it has that m6) that it's a very juicy chord.
    Right someone else have a go, this is good stuff
  • BradBrad Frets: 658
    viz said:
    76766x

B D# A C# F

I call it the Lately chord, it's a sort of sub for an Fdom7 before a Bb. But what actually is it?! 3:31 here:

C9#11 (it’s all a semitone up BTW :smile:)

As you say it’s a tritone sub for the V chord in a
    ii - V - I. It would ‘ordinarily’ be F#7#5 etc, but using C in the bass creates that chromatic movement from C#m7 to B. 

F#7#5 and C7#11 both come from.... G Melodic Minor. 

Can’t beat Stevie for harmonic goodness. 
    Philtre said:

Of course, it's more practical to say C over C# or C/C#, but this kind of thing is a great source of differences of opinion...
    I would certainly appreciate seeing C/Db on a chart rather than CmMaj7b5 !! :wink:
    edited May 2021
    Brad said:
    viz said:
    76766x

B D# A C# F

C9#11 (it’s all a semitone up BTW smile)

ii - V - I. It would ‘ordinarily’ be F#7#5 etc, but using C in the bass creates that chromatic movement from C#m7 to B. 

Absolutely right! I’m ashamed to say I always play it in C but yep! He’s a pianist so Db - thanks! (Should have listened to my own link lol)
    viz said:
    Brad said:
    viz said:
    76766x

B D# A C# F

C9#11 (it’s all a semitone up BTW smile)

Absolutely right! I’m ashamed to say I always play it in C but yep! He’s a pianist so Db - thanks! (Should have listened to my own link lol)
    Ah, happens to us all :smile: you were on the money as per usual :+1: 

A blind pianist no less, I’ve yet to play a Stevie song that was written in C or Am... anyone wanting to play in unfriendly keys for guitar, without delving into jazz, could do much worse than learning some Stevie tunes. Anyway back on topic...
    Brad said:

Ah, happens to us all :smile: you were on the money as per usual :+1: 

A blind pianist no less, I’ve yet to play a Stevie song that was written in C or Am... anyone wanting to play in unfriendly keys for guitar, without delving into jazz, could do much worse than learning some Stevie tunes. Anyway back on topic...
    Exactly! It is great in C on guitar though coz there are some lovely open voicings on the C and the D minors etc. Maybe next time I do it live (if there is such a thing) I’ll transpose my guitar. Anyway yep, come on, gis an interesting chord to chat about. 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4768
    Brad said:
    Philtre said:

I would certainly appreciate seeing C/Db on a chart rather than CmMaj7b5 !! :wink:
    It's a lot easier for me to remember how to form a C triad and stick a Db bass note underneath, that's for sure. Despite me starting the thread about "min 3rd vs b3", when I converted to electric guitar from classical, I learned rhythm parts for tunes from chord charts, like most of us did, I expect.