NBD: oh no, not again...

What's Hot
Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3013
Nice Mr Parcel deliverer man has been today and left a new toy! Any guesses what it could be?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    shortscale headless bass?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3013
    shortscale headless bass?
    Short scale - yes
    headless - no
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    Mustang/Bronco?

Hofner??
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Mustang/Bronco?

Hofner??
    Good guess, technically you’re correct with the Bronco but...
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    headless - no
    You say that, but until you've taken the bubble wrap off, can you really be sure?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mart said:
    headless - no
    You say that, but until you've taken the bubble wrap off, can you really be sure?
    I checked, it’s definitely still there (and it was delivered by Hermes, remarkable!)
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    That's good to hear. But it does look very short compared to the bass in the rack behind.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    Squier Badtz Maru? 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Squier Badtz Maru? 
    Bingo! :)

A few minor mods and desperately in need of some new strings but I love it already (as do my wife and daughters).

and with his mate

I’m such a douchebag but it just makes everyone smile.
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    A few minor mods.
    A noise-cancelling pickup, the nut and a four saddle bridge.
    A few minor mods.
    A noise-cancelling pickup, the nut and a four saddle bridge.
    Yup, I still have a Kent Armstrong rail type humbucker I bought to fit in a Bronco I had about 6 years ago. Must go and dig it out...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    I've always liked those :).

I recently helped a friend buy a standard Bronco for his wife who wanted to take up bass - I was amazed how good it was, even with the stock pickup. It actually played and sounded better than a Mexican PJ Mustang Bass which was the other main contender, at literally four times the price.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited May 2021
    ICBM said:
    I've always liked those .

I recently helped a friend buy a standard Bronco for his wife who wanted to take up bass - I was amazed how good it was, even with the stock pickup. It actually played and sounded better than a Mexican PJ Mustang Bass which was the other main contender, at literally four times the price.
    I’m no bass player by any stretch of the imagination, but this and the  Bronco I had previously were no worse for my standards of playing than other bass guitars I’ve had. I’ve reasonably small hands as well so they do suit me well and of course they’re just fun to play.

I’m thinking of putting some LaBelle flatwounds on it for a bit of a change from my usual roundwounds. It should be a fun experiment even if one set of strings is a significant proportion of the cost of the bass itself!
    ICBM said:
    … played and sounded better than a Mexican PJ Mustang Bass …
    Hardly difficult. I've tried two of those. Both were lifeless. One was also an ugly, transparent brown, David Dickinson fake tan colour. 

My preference of budget Fender/Squier short scale bass guitar would probably be the (discontinued) Mikey Way signature model. Quick EMG-35 pickup transplant and you're good to go.
    Update:

Maybe I should have seen this coming but I found my 15 year old daughter sat on the floor of my music room, happily bashing out “Come as you are” on ‘Badtz’. She’s never expressed an interest in playing bass before but I can’t get her off it now.

Have I unwittingly spawned the next Carol Kaye/Tina Weymouth/Laura Lee etc...?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245

Have I unwittingly spawned the next Carol Kaye/Tina Weymouth/Laura Lee etc...?
    Hopefully!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

… or Sara Lee! (Gang Of Four NOT cakes!)

Yo' just going to have to buy another Badtz or wait for your daughter to reach the extent of her attention span.

I suspect that the regular red Squier Bronco Bass would not meet with your daughter's approval. OTOH, the sparkly silver Mikey Way Mustang just might.
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2245
    Nice El Maya there in the photo...